Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1978 245 dl 44k miles

Views : 9677

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2013, 06:08   #41
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batespeed View Post
i forgot to say, it has a two way switch on the dash that raises/lowers the back suspension. dont know if it was an option or do all estates have it ?
Not standard. There were some aftermarket types available, but it's probably a Volvo dealer-fitted accessory.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 21:42   #42
batespeed

batespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 01:42   #43
javed

Default 245 dl

Would Love to have this,looks a great car, I did ring the gentleman up, nice chap and very helpful, but I just dont think he understands the distance and more importantly the Time involved, 7 1/2 hours in my case, just one way! like the gentleman from Chester I have had quotes from £800 to £475 for Transport, so potentially taking it over £2k which I believe its more than its worth!

such a shame, would have gone to Glasgow to meet half way but he was having none of it, think he is frightened that he makes the journey and then no-one buys it!

Batespeed I know you wont agree but you he made a little effort you would sell it no problem, the people on this forum are great, and most cases decent and honest, their primary concern is to preserve these vehicles and no one on here will mess him about.

Just Seen the white one on ebay with LPG and that's running at £531.99 with only 15 hrs to go, will have to wait and see.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-VO...81139646023%26

have a think as it would be great to have this with one of the forum members.

regards

Javed
javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 11:18   #44
halfnelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by javed View Post
Batespeed I know you wont agree but you he made a little effort you would sell it no problem, the people on this forum are great, and most cases decent and honest, their primary concern is to preserve these vehicles and no one on here will mess him about.

have a think as it would be great to have this with one of the forum members.
I can sympathise with Batespeed. Being based in Cornwall I've sold a couple of classic Lancias in the past and distance is always an issue for people. I had one guy tell me he wanted a car, that if I drove it up to Surrey he'd pay full asking price and he had the money waiting. When I arrived he told me he wasn't able to 'free-up' the cash and maybe he'd get back to me! And it was nothing to do with the car as it was concours and a cover car on a classic car magazine. Wasted weekend. I think if someone is motivated to travel and see the car they are more likely to be a genuine buyer.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 15:52   #45
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Lovely car, cannot understand issues with collecting this car and driving it home?

I don't buy cars very often, but a few years ago bought a 744 from a lovely guy near Redruth (Cornwall), the cost of getting there from Lincolnshire was minimal and I drove the car home (I overnighted in Cornwall at a Youth Hostel).

It looks like a lovely car, and I can only think that"buyers"are being a little disingenuous - good luck with the sale Batespeed, an overnight in the capital of the Highlands would be great (if only I needed an estate car).

Jon.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jul 27th, 2013 at 16:01. Reason: additional info
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 07:53   #46
batespeed

just back from holidayand put it on gumtree for £1500, within 5 minutes of putting it up i had a phonecall from a bloke from holland.........................the enquiries are coming from further afield all the time........................................
batespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to batespeed For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 09:11   #47
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfnelson View Post
I can sympathise with Batespeed. Being based in Cornwall I've sold a couple of classic Lancias in the past and distance is always an issue for people. I had one guy tell me he wanted a car, that if I drove it up to Surrey he'd pay full asking price and he had the money waiting. When I arrived he told me he wasn't able to 'free-up' the cash and maybe he'd get back to me! And it was nothing to do with the car as it was concours and a cover car on a classic car magazine. Wasted weekend. I think if someone is motivated to travel and see the car they are more likely to be a genuine buyer.
This country is not really that big, there are coaches that travel cheaply too. If you want something, go and get it.
Simple, really.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 12:32   #48
CaptainAhab
Spanner ex machina

I agree with Heckflosse, if you really want it, go get it. I live in Ireland which has a very limited classic car market (unless you like MGs). I had to travel to London to get the mighty Moby, and Inverness to get my other car. That said, I only found out that the headlight reflectors were done when it got dark at the north end of the A1, which was an interesting experience.

If I was in the market i would be after this car like shinola off a shovel, fanastic looking mate!
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 13:53   #49
AuroraMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by batespeed View Post
black isle, north of inverness, Scotland.
Whilst I am looking for a v70 (all gone wrong now due to a stupid light) ... it is tempting to go for this especially because it won't have stupid computers trying to run over complicated and un-necessary systems.
Who cares about power steering ! I used to drive cars without! Keeps you a bit fitter !
Anyway was going to say ... I have a place near Tain (!!) and a place in Surrey, and I am flying up late Sept ...
so...
if it helped I could drive it south.
I love 'doing the run' and could drive back south instead of flying, (mid Oct) if it helps someone ? for a small fee and my expenses ? My insurance would only be 3rd party. We can talk about it if its of any interest?
I maybe driving back up later in the year too if it is still around then, and could possibly offer someone a lift up ?
I had an old 245 many years back ... good old cars and RWD of course !
AuroraMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 17:17   #50
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraMagic View Post
Whilst I am looking for a v70 (all gone wrong now due to a stupid light) ... it is tempting to go for this especially because it won't have stupid computers trying to run over complicated and un-necessary systems.
Who cares about power steering ! I used to drive cars without! Keeps you a bit fitter !
Anyway was going to say ... I have a place near Tain (!!) and a place in Surrey, and I am flying up late Sept ...
so...
if it helped I could drive it south.
I love 'doing the run' and could drive back south instead of flying, (mid Oct) if it helps someone ? for a small fee and my expenses ? My insurance would only be 3rd party. We can talk about it if its of any interest?
I maybe driving back up later in the year too if it is still around then, and could possibly offer someone a lift up ?
I had an old 245 many years back ... good old cars and RWD of course !

Your insurance might very well be invalid for the purpose, especially if there is a fee involved. Even getting the journey, fuel paid, by doing the driving would likely count as remuneration in the eyes of an insurer.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote