Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2024947

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2020, 08:06   #1351
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

In other words, weren't they just tired - with a capital 'K'?

Another job well done, Alan! What is next on your list? This is rapidly turning into one of the best restoration threads that I have seen for some time.

Regards, John.
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 10:02   #1352
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Hmmm, bit of an oxymoron there Alan - to be a reporter you have to be at least semi-literate.That immediately over-qualifies 90% of journalists for working on The Sun.

If i was pushed to offer a reason for the state of those engine mounts, i'd say the primary cause was oil contamination aided and abetted by the vibration plus the degradation and perishing of age.
You are probably right Dave. I'd be rather surprised if any 40 year old car didn't need new rubber engine mounts just through normal use though.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 10:14   #1353
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
In other words, weren't they just tired - with a capital 'K'?

Another job well done, Alan! What is next on your list? This is rapidly turning into one of the best restoration threads that I have seen for some time.

Regards, John.
Hi John,

How kind of you to say so. You may remember that from the very outset the aim with the RB was not to be a restoration (I wrote this in February or March):

That sort of brings me on to my aim with this car: I'm not intending for it to be a restoration project, lots has happened to it over the years, which is part of its charm. Where sensible and not expensive I'll put it back to standard (things like the mudflaps), but otherwise I want it to be a nice driver that I manage the obsolescence of in parallel with my own aging process. I think that makes most sense.

I still have no intention of restoring the RB per se, I like to see this thread as a sort of journal about the RB but I'm really pleased that people might see it as some value for restoration/repair/maintenance - and I'm delighted that the RB continues to head in the right direction.

:-)

Alan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 11:08   #1354
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Perhaps 'restoration' was the wrong choice of word, Alan, and I could better have said 're-commissioning' or bringing back to life.

As I see it, 'restoration' can take many forms; from a gentle 'bringing back to health' while preserving the 'patina' of age, which I feel is essentially what you are doing with the R.B., to a full-on, 'better than new', job, which I would personally consider to be, in most cases, a mistake. It is a truism that a car (or anything else, for that matter) can be original only once.

Semantics apart, you said earlier in the thread of your brown brogues that they had been soled and heeled many times. Are they not still the same pair of shoes that you purchased back in nineteen hundred and strawberry jam, but have 'restored' to a wearable condition in order to facilitate your continued enjoyment of them?

That is what I meant by 'restoration', and it chimes well, I think, with what you are doing with the R.B. Whatever you choose to call the process, I think you're doing a great job, with both the car and the thread!

Regards, John.
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 12:46   #1355
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What John said ^^^^^

I would describe your life with the RB as a "rolling restoration" Alan - here's why :

The intention is never to bring it back to new, it's used as a daily driver for short journeys but isn't used for commuting, as and when things wear out, break, fail or otherwise no longer perform their duties as they should, they are replaced with items that do, sometimes with a subtle (but useful) upgrade and/or period accessories.

Having new soles and heels on your shoes is like fitting new tyres to the car. Doesn't make them the chiropody equivalent of Triggers Broom and new tyres won't make it a new car.

Like John said, whatever you call it, you're doing a grand job and enjoying it - it's one of the many reasons people own a classic!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 16:20   #1356
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Perhaps 'restoration' was the wrong choice of word, Alan, and I could better have said 're-commissioning' or bringing back to life.

As I see it, 'restoration' can take many forms; from a gentle 'bringing back to health' while preserving the 'patina' of age, which I feel is essentially what you are doing with the R.B., to a full-on, 'better than new', job, which I would personally consider to be, in most cases, a mistake. It is a truism that a car (or anything else, for that matter) can be original only once.

Semantics apart, you said earlier in the thread of your brown brogues that they had been soled and heeled many times. Are they not still the same pair of shoes that you purchased back in nineteen hundred and strawberry jam, but have 'restored' to a wearable condition in order to facilitate your continued enjoyment of them?

That is what I meant by 'restoration', and it chimes well, I think, with what you are doing with the R.B. Whatever you choose to call the process, I think you're doing a great job, with both the car and the thread!

Regards, John.
Thanks John,

Again, that is very kind of you to say so.

I'm quite proud of the RB, it is a car that makes me smile. I like this thread as well, there have been some fascinating contributions (not least from yourself and from Dave).I have learned a great deal since February :-)

Alan
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 16:25   #1357
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
What John said ^^^^^

I would describe your life with the RB as a "rolling restoration" Alan - here's why :

The intention is never to bring it back to new, it's used as a daily driver for short journeys but isn't used for commuting, as and when things wear out, break, fail or otherwise no longer perform their duties as they should, they are replaced with items that do, sometimes with a subtle (but useful) upgrade and/or period accessories.

Having new soles and heels on your shoes is like fitting new tyres to the car. Doesn't make them the chiropody equivalent of Triggers Broom and new tyres won't make it a new car.

Like John said, whatever you call it, you're doing a grand job and enjoying it - it's one of the many reasons people own a classic!
I could not agree more Dave (and with John also of course). I've enjoyed owning a classic and the RB was exactly the right car for me. It continues to amuse and challenge me in about equal measures, which is just what I'd hoped for when I bought it (only 4 months ago, it seems like I've had the car much longer than that).

Alan
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 17:59   #1358
CosmicBike

I'm glad you've changed your engine mounts, they're next on the list for Grace. I already swapped the transmission mount when I did the clutch, the old one was in one piece but somewhat jelly like.
Where did you source your engine mounts from? I've seen wildly different prices from Ebay through Partsforvolvos, Skandix and so forth.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 20:30   #1359
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
I'm glad you've changed your engine mounts, they're next on the list for Grace. I already swapped the transmission mount when I did the clutch, the old one was in one piece but somewhat jelly like.
Where did you source your engine mounts from? I've seen wildly different prices from Ebay through Partsforvolvos, Skandix and so forth.
All eBay - the engine mounts were these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-mo...53.m2749.l2649

... I ordered two, the supplier correctly sent me one left and one right hand item.

Prices vary quite a bit (some more than £30), but these items seem to be perfectly good for about £6 each.

Alan
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 21:58   #1360
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Very many thanks Alan, nice win on the winter tyres/wheels too! Sorry it's a bit short, had a slightly hectic afternoon and still need to take the pooch and sort dinner.

I will read (and answer) your PM later, thanks!
Those 16" steel wheels and winter tyres turned out to be perfect Dave - just exactly what I was looking for and a fair amount of life left in the winter rubber. As I'll be using them every winter I thought it would be worth investing a tiny amount (£21.99) is some hub caps, which arrived today:

... so for a total of £81.93 (for 4 x wheels, tyres and trims) I have a pretty good solution to safer winter driving.

I'm still quite pleased with myself about this little win.

Last edited by Othen; Jul 1st, 2020 at 22:09. Reason: Spelling error.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: