Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transmission oil change cost

Views : 12993

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2022, 17:34   #41
chrisf
Chrisf

Default 2012 V70 gearbox

I bought my V70 with just under 60,000 miles from the main dealer in 2017. I had it serviced with them at the specified intervals and circa 100,000 they advised me that the gearbox fluid and filter needed a scheduled change at that service, it cost me circa £800 with service and MOT all in.
Car has now done 130,000 miles and the (geartronic?) box is knackered, been playing up for the last 12 months or so - I've just had to pay £3000 to have it overhauled - dealers wanted £8000 to replace it. Not sure what the moral of the story is but just wanted to share my pain...
chrisf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 18:03   #42
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I might just ask the garage to check the brake fluid for me when I have the big service in the summer. They never seem keen to upsell brake fluid changes so I am confident of an honest response.

As for PAS yes it is electric, but I (quite possibly incorrectly) assumed the electric motor ran the compressor pump for the hydraulics. Maybe it just directly assists the steering column instead which I guess would make sense with the automatic steering maybe running off the same motor. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks
The new range of cars from 2015 and the V40 have a Mechanical electric steering rack with no hydraulics at all .
the electic power steering on the S40/V50/C70/C30 is an electric hydraulic pump ...
Old May 6th, 2022, 16:22   #43
Rob76

Default Transmission oil change costs

I have just bought a V60 2013 auto D2 with 100k on the clock. Their is good history of engine oil, cambelt, water pump and general servicing but no mention of transmission oil change. Can do the job myself easily but its this oil temp reading for correct level and apparently you have to tell the car that its nice new oil is in the gearbox and at the correct level. This is what puts off local garages and why Volvo garages can charge silly money for the job. For Manufacturer to say that an oil change off this unit is not required in its lifetime is being truly optimistic.
Rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2022, 17:30   #44
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob76 View Post
I have just bought a V60 2013 auto D2 with 100k on the clock. Their is good history of engine oil, cambelt, water pump and general servicing but no mention of transmission oil change. Can do the job myself easily but its this oil temp reading for correct level and apparently you have to tell the car that its nice new oil is in the gearbox and at the correct level. This is what puts off local garages and why Volvo garages can charge silly money for the job. For Manufacturer to say that an oil change off this unit is not required in its lifetime is being truly optimistic.
Is that the D2 1.6 diesel? if so then volvo DO have a mandatory oil change for this Auto gearbox please don't believe anything you read on the internet unless you get it verified elsewhere .
The Powershift Automatic Gearbox oil and filter must be changed every 50,000 miles it is very important . There are 2 or 3 drain plugs which require opening to drain the oil depending on age . There is a procedure for filling too in VIDA .
Old May 21st, 2022, 00:46   #45
Umbertoos

Default EDT for engine or tranny oil

This is an interesting write up on the subject.
I am yet to flush my transmission on a '12 v70 D5 with 120k miles on it, but did the EDT for engine oil and oh my, the engine came to life! Revs were faster and the whole car livelier. I've done it in Basildon's EDT branch near work, not Hortons but considering them for the transmission flush as the Basildon garage doesn't do it.

https://hortoncars.co.uk/volvo-news/...and-solutions/
Saab 93 ttid 2.1 2002 - not the greatest engine
Saab NG900 1994- scarab green beauty. Did not like black ice
Umbertoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 20:41   #46
Volvocano

You only get just over 4 litres from a drain anyway (from the approximate 12 litres in the transmission), so I drain and top up with every engine oil change which I do every 10K miles in-between services (still under warranty) coming up to 85K miles now and the fluid is getting cleaner with every "refresh". It was pitch black when I bought the car at 60K miles.

MY18 XC90 Twin Engine. I use the AW.1 spec Comma fluid. I do a transmission adaption reset after each change. I also use the Comma Volvo spec 0W-20 synthetic engine oil or Morris Eco-V (which I suspect is the same stuff - looks and smells identical).
Volvocano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvocano For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 23:34   #47
ZenSpeedmaster

How do you reset the transmission adaptation?
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 12:17   #48
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSpeedmaster View Post
How do you reset the transmission adaptation?
You would need to go into the diagnostic software (as your vehicle is SPA I don’t know what that would be - it’s not VIDA) and reset the transmission control module.

In reality if you took filthy end of life fluid out and replaced with fresh it may be an issue. But in spec worn fluid replaced slowly is not likly to be an issue I should imagine.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 12:36   #49
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
You would need to go into the diagnostic software (as your vehicle is SPA I don’t know what that would be - it’s not VIDA) and reset the transmission control module.

In reality if you took filthy end of life fluid out and replaced with fresh it may be an issue. But in spec worn fluid replaced slowly is not likly to be an issue I should imagine.
Only genuine Volvo dealers and authorised repairers have had VIDA access from 2015 It still exists with the familiar look but no longer on physical media to counterfeit ..
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 13:00   #50
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Only genuine Volvo dealers and authorised repairers have had VIDA access from 2015 It still exists with the familiar look but no longer on physical media to counterfeit ..
Oh that makes sense!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote