Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus Map Update problem

Views : 34232

Replies : 163

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2021, 10:25   #151
wiseminosse

I wanted to share my experience after months of lost battles to update the maps of the Sensus (XC90 MY2016), to help those who may have the same problem.

I bought the car used and the maps were not up to date (I believe there was version 1150).
I tried to download the updated maps of a single country from internet and every time I tried to insert them in the car it told me that the map was unreadable and that I had to check the USB stick.
I had read the strangest tips on the internet: type of usb key, size of usb key, file system format, slot to use, delete all documents / media left on the key, the way you downloaded the map, etc.

I always had the doubt why the music files were perfectly readable and the maps were not, so the update files were read, but for some strange reason they were not loaded.

In the end I realized: the problem was that the updates of only one country are partial compared to a complete map of the continent and the 1350 update of the single country could not be installed on the 1150 map of Europe (probably, there is a range of backwards compatibility, perhaps because over the years they have changed something in the formats)
It was necessary to download the complete map of Europe and proceed with this update. Since the stick was not big enough (32GB vs 55GB of the map), I used a USB 3.0 disk with NTFS file system (but the FAT32 stick is also read, so both file systems are fine).

1 hour to upload and install version 1350 (I had to keep the disk on my legs to avoid the vibrations to stop the reading process of the map)

A week later, Sensus regularly detected the new version 1362 on internet and I was able to install it in OTA mode (5 minutes of download and 1 hour of installation).

The fact that the system took the same time to install a 160MB delta of a single country and a 55GB full map of a continent supports the hypothesis that updating the delta of the single nation involves a reconstruction of the map with the new data, and that the processing is possible only if the installed map and delta files are compatible.
wiseminosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wiseminosse For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 12:14   #152
Graylad

Default Same boat

I appear to be in the same boat.

Gosh this is a task and a half, no wonder their dealerships refuse to do it for their customers now saying it takes too long (Gloucester).

I've tried on 3 occasions now during my ownership of the vehicle from new (XC60 TD5 2015) and each has failed, so my Sat Nav is now well out of date, including the absence of our own address as we live in a newish house.

My latest attempt actually resulted in a degree of success. I couldn't download onto a USB Flash Drive as it was formatted incorrectly apparently. But I did manage to download onto my hard disk. This took 8 hours on my almost new Macbook. I then successfully copied this onto a USB Flash Drive and it only took 2 hours.

I've now popped it in the car, with the instruction to follow the Infotainment screen prompts but nothing is appearing.

Can anyone offer any advice to complete this task please.

Thank you
Graylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 13:37   #153
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humming View Post
Thank you for the feedback, I will try this later. This has been driving me mad trying to get the maps updated.

Could it be that there is a bug in the Volvo map software download
You should load the map directly from volvo onto an empty 64 gb USB stick rather that transfer it, and do the whole 55+ Gb Europe -file not a partial region . It should take just under an hour to load into the car .

above is for the new cars from the xc 90 in 2016

the up to 2017 cars sensus has a smaller file .

Try that

someone hasnt been following the instructions from the volvo web site ..

Download selected update to an empty USB memory stick
Select download for Mac or Windows
Select "Run" to install the download manager
Follow instructions in download manager
Save downloaded update on an empty USB memory stick
N.B. A download may take several hours to execute depending on internet connection and file size
Install update in your car
Switch on the infotainment system
Insert the USB memory stick into the USB port
Follow instructions on center display

Last edited by Clan; Apr 4th, 2022 at 13:43.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clan For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 18:00   #154
ideford

Also the memory stick needs to be formatted as exFAT so as to accept the large file size
ideford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 19:51   #155
BJB

Sorry to butt in. (2017 V60 lux nav) on (Map 31489568 AA)
Is there a way of knowing if I would need a map Software Update to be able to download a new map. Almost sure I'm atleast a map out, and apparently a planned update 29/4/22. Bought the car October last year.
Thanks in advance.
BJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 07:45   #156
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB View Post
Sorry to butt in. (2017 V60 lux nav) on (Map 31489568 AA)
Is there a way of knowing if I would need a map Software Update to be able to download a new map. Almost sure I'm atleast a map out, and apparently a planned update 29/4/22. Bought the car October last year.
Thanks in advance.
The software update was only required on models without the globe button on the waterfall. The button was added circa 2014 so yours will be fine to update at the end of April
Old May 16th, 2023, 11:08   #157
SonicTheH

Hi everyone, I would just like to share my experiences with this problem. As mentioned at the beginning of this topic, the same thing happened to me. At the beginning of the update, the message "USB unreadable" appeared, after that insert USB number 1...
I tried with the recommendation to repeat several times and press the exit button, but after many attempts it did not work. Changed several USBs with different formatting, but that didn't help either.
Then I tried the proposal with a smaller update, Israel, which only has about 3GB. It didn't help at first, but somehow I thought I could try resetting the Sensus system. After that, the success story was as follows:
1. Resetting the Sensus system to factory settings;
2. Inserting a USB with a map of Israel, successful update;
3. Update maps of Europe (2023), USB Kingston 3.0, 128GB, exFat format: successful update in 1h 40min.

Good luck to everyone who has this problem!
SonicTheH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SonicTheH For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2023, 14:31   #158
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humming View Post
I have been trying to update my Sensus Map with the latest update for Europe, without any success. Every time I attempt it, I get a “Map update failed. USB unreadable” message.

The process I am using is to copy the map update to hard disk, then using a newly formatted FAT32 32Gb USB, I copy from the hard disk to the USB. I don’t use the quick format option, so it is a full format of the USB.

I then use the Sensus Update ‘Check Download’ on the USB, which passes successfully.

When I insert the USB into the car I get the update ongoing screen and a progress bar that shows some progress by moving along approx. 1 cm. Then it fails with the “Map update failed. USB unreadable” message.

I have tried 2 different USBs with the same result, the second one is a ScanDisk was bought new on Friday, so I know the USB is OK.

Any Ideas what is going on?
Volvo always recommend downloading direct to the USB Drive.
Old May 17th, 2023, 19:52   #159
Jaddak

So, be warned the 2023 update released on 12th May 2023 has the following challenges...

However, all is not lost, as after almost 4 hours it does finally complete, though not without the following messages... and this is with one of the latest & fast USB's:

1. 'Software is incompatible' - fix - Hit EXIT
2. 'Update problem, please insert USB 1' - fix - Hit EXIT and if that doesn't work remove & reinsert USB
3. 'Update failed' - fix - Hit EXIT - This was by far the most common message, appearing many times at the beginning, then sporadically every so often
4. Once after a stop, the Navigation screen showed 'Navigation starting up' & just continued with this for 10 minutes driving - fix - turn off the car, lock it, wait a couple of minutes, restart engine & you'll likely to get a message saying 'Update Failed'. Remove & reinsert USB, then just continue.

Moral of the story, just persevere... the line which shows update progress moves slower than an asthmatic snail going uphill into a pile of salt
Jaddak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaddak For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2023, 17:44   #160
MacV50
Master Member

Successfully updated mine on the second attempt.

First time, it failed with a USB error. I ran the check download and it found an error so I downloaded again. Ran the check again and all OK so stuck it back in the car and it's updated in around 3 hours split over a few driving sessions