Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance, Indy Body Shop or DIY repair?

Views : 1402

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2022, 16:00   #1
Morton

Default Insurance, Indy Body Shop or DIY repair?

I'm wondering what the best option for repairing damage on my car might be after a lorry damaged it last month?

I stopped, reversed into a passing place and stopped again to let a low-loader pass on a country lane. The lorry driver, seeing the gap was too narrow seemed to think that if he carried on slowly, he would fit. Well, he didn't and he scratched my car and pushed it further into the hedge on the other side that I was tucked into which further scratched the car. The company the lorry belongs to is insured with the same insurer that I am (Aviva) and Aviva have told me it's a "no fault claim" on my part because I was stopped when it happened which means my full NCB is safe and I won't have to pay an excess. Thing is, it's taking forever to get any information out of them and a month later nothing has been sorted out. They're going to chase it in another couple of weeks apparently. I've just phoned them and been told "Commercial claims (ie lorries) aren't that simple as there are loads of steps involved and they can't establish liability until the lorry driver's company's transport manager (who wasn't there) admits fault. In which case, I'd end up paying a £150 Excess and seeing my premium increase which will annoy me.

So, am I better off, trying to repair the damage myself? Are there any products that will cover up the scratches and remove the lorry's paint that I can do at home and then cancel the claim and change insurer?

Would I be better off going to a local car repairer with this and seeing what they could do in case it'll cost less than £300-£400 (XS + increase in premium)

Should I just wait and let the insurers fix the car on the basis that they've told me it's a "No Fault Claim" which is taking ages and assume that I won't have to pay XS or lose any NCB (or see an increase in premium as my NCB is "Protected").
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220425_150215.jpg (335.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220426_160705.jpg (259.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220425_143352.jpg (194.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220425_143344.jpg (220.5 KB, 33 views)
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2022, 16:18   #2
Tatsfield
Premier Member

It has been my experience that avoiding going through an insurer after an accident can have unfortunate repercussions. I hit the kerb of a traffic island because the council had not replaced a missing bollard and I thought that the job would be a steering realignment for £30 and that I would claim it from the council. But, oh no! Firstly the council declined liability and said that I should sue them if I disagreed, which for an expected £30 wasn't going to be worth it, but subsequently, by increments I have spend about £2000 replacing everything in sight to correct the car pulling to the right. Nothing extreme but little by little the costs have built up. If I had just put the claim into my insurers, I suspect that I could have kept the claim going and recovered all my expenses. So, you have an insurer who is reassuring you that you will not lose by claiming, so claim!
Old May 25th, 2022, 16:34   #3
Rocinante
Master Member

It looks more than a DIY job from the photos, there appears to be metalwork moved, but perhaps not.

There's no harm getting a quote from an expert, to do the repairs just to see where you stand.

I would probably stick with the insurance, as it's now been reported to them and I think it will affect you premium regardless, with the old "have you been involved in any accidents over the past 5 years ?" question, as statically if you have been involved in an accident, even when not your fault, you are more likely to have another.

You may have to stand your ground regarding the fault cause though, but if it's one word against another, not sure where you can go, especially as it's the same company, as they don't benefit trying to find out who caused it.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2022, 16:39   #4
Morton

Good point. I think I needed to read it put succinctly like that.

I'm slightly concerned that although they've said I won't have anything extra to pay, they're also maintaining that they can't assess liability. But I have it in writing and I suppose I should trust that.

My doubt comes from the only claim I've ever made more than 20 years ago when someone at my then insurer deliberately and wrongly wrote the car off so that he could sell it to one of his mates from salvage. My solicitor got him sacked, got me compensation and got the car fixed up but my faith in insurers was damaged irreparably. Perhaps it's time to trust again!
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2022, 17:09   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Firstly I would inform your insurer that you are clear you were not at fault and you will not accept anything other than a 100% settlement in your favor, and direct the insurer not to make any payout from your policy whatsoever. Make sure you put that in writing and have a written record, and tell them you are prepared to go to court if needed.

It can be difficult for insurers to resolve disputes when both parties are their insured so it's important to remove their easy way out. I have known them in the past repair both cars and not log a claim against either policy because they can't be bothered with the liability debate - they're going to be paying out regardless.

Secondly - you're not going to fix that with rattle cans from Halfords, the question you need to answer is whether you put up with it until the claim is resolved and get it into a posh body shop or get it done now knowing you might not get a full settlement.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2022, 19:17   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post
I'm wondering what the best option for repairing damage on my car might be after a lorry damaged it last month?

I stopped, reversed into a passing place and stopped again to let a low-loader pass on a country lane. The lorry driver, seeing the gap was too narrow seemed to think that if he carried on slowly, he would fit. Well, he didn't and he scratched my car and pushed it further into the hedge on the other side that I was tucked into which further scratched the car. The company the lorry belongs to is insured with the same insurer that I am (Aviva) and Aviva have told me it's a "no fault claim" on my part because I was stopped when it happened which means my full NCB is safe and I won't have to pay an excess. Thing is, it's taking forever to get any information out of them and a month later nothing has been sorted out. They're going to chase it in another couple of weeks apparently. I've just phoned them and been told "Commercial claims (ie lorries) aren't that simple as there are loads of steps involved and they can't establish liability until the lorry driver's company's transport manager (who wasn't there) admits fault. In which case, I'd end up paying a £150 Excess and seeing my premium increase which will annoy me.

So, am I better off, trying to repair the damage myself? Are there any products that will cover up the scratches and remove the lorry's paint that I can do at home and then cancel the claim and change insurer?

Would I be better off going to a local car repairer with this and seeing what they could do in case it'll cost less than £300-£400 (XS + increase in premium)

Should I just wait and let the insurers fix the car on the basis that they've told me it's a "No Fault Claim" which is taking ages and assume that I won't have to pay XS or lose any NCB (or see an increase in premium as my NCB is "Protected").
get quotes from body shops and some from mobile repairers it might not be that expensive even if you are found not to be at fault there will be a marker on your insureance profile
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2022, 19:37   #7
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Aviva, Why am I not surprised??!?! If there is any insurer that drags its heels and hopes things will "go away" the longer they leave it, its these and AXA.

That damage, doesn't look like a lot. Looks like a small bodyshop can make go away for less than a grand. A cash offer and maybe that transport company to pay for the damage out of their pocket might persuade them.
Old May 25th, 2022, 20:39   #8
Ian21401
Premier Member

I agree with Tannaton and Simmy.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2022, 22:26   #9
ferg55

Assuming that's an early p3 V70 (2008 ish?) with damage to multiple panels, it's looking like a potential write off. That may be of benefit to you if you want to buy it back off Aviva then get it fixed yourself. Otherwise, you could drop the claim to avoid it being written off.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2022, 23:21   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
Assuming that's an early p3 V70 (2008 ish?) with damage to multiple panels, it's looking like a potential write off. That may be of benefit to you if you want to buy it back off Aviva then get it fixed yourself. Otherwise, you could drop the claim to avoid it being written off.
I was thinking that too. Potential write-off would be when repair costs exceed 50%-60% of the cars market value. It's not the sort of job bodyshops like, lots of slow prep work, they like unbolting and bolting back up, and replacing whole panels. Hence they might deliberately price it into uneconomic. But that might be to your advantage if you plan on keeping the car - you may get a good settlement and you can ask to retain the salvage.

I also agree that it's worth contacting the company direct and suggesting a cash offer to drop the claim - their excess will be minimum £1,000 i bet.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
body, insurance, scratches