Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

13 pin Electric Socket Fitted Facing downwards

Views : 3141

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2018, 16:37   #21
The Ridge Rider
Ex Trog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billggski View Post
https://accessories.volvocars.com/In...en-us/XC60(18-)

If you look at image 32 it shows that the bar needs to be re-fitted.
That is for the fitting of a genuine Volvo tow bar, the OP and myself have got a Tow-Trust tow bar installed.
At the NEC this week for Caravan show, hoping that Tow-Trust will be there, so's i can find out more info.
The Ridge Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 17:30   #22
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ridge Rider View Post
That is for the fitting of a genuine Volvo tow bar, the OP and myself have got a Tow-Trust tow bar installed.
At the NEC this week for Caravan show, hoping that Tow-Trust will be there, so's i can find out more info.
What stand? I'm going Saturday.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 17:43   #23
The Ridge Rider
Ex Trog

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
What stand? I'm going Saturday.

Paul.
Hopefully i'll find out tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Ridge Rider For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 21:11   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
ask them why it doesn't bolt to the manufactures official tested mountings as you say it is screwed to the six beam mounting holes which are only 10mm bolts not the 14mm volvo use in a reinforced area .
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 21:21   #25
The Ridge Rider
Ex Trog

Fingers crossed i can find out some answers, either from them or Volvo, if they are there after winning The Caravan Club Tow car of the year.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 22:12   #26
The Ridge Rider
Ex Trog

Well after spending 5 hours traipsing around the NEC, no sign of Volvo or Tow-Trust putting in an appearance, so sorry chaps no further forward, still at MOT time i might find out more.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 23:00   #27
Trev864

I can confirm that on my car, the Tow Trust tow bar is mounted correctly (to the same points as the Volvo tow bar) It is definitely not attached to the crash beam mounting points.
I have spoken to Tow Trust on the phone and they have assured me that the crash beam is not re-fitted with their tow bar for this vehicle ( I have since found out that other makes of tow bar both for my car and others do not re-fit the crash beam after fitting the tow bar).
They also told me that their tow bar for my car has been tested to limits in excess of those Volvo use in their testing. I believe there is a you tube video on their testing.
After speaking to Tow Trust and having got underneath my car to look at the bar and mountings, I can say I'm happy with the safety aspect and the quality of the bar.
I also spoke to my insurance company who have confirmed that my insurance has not been invalidated by removal of the crash beam. Of course it has to be re-fitted should the tow bar ever be removed from the car.
I am going to Tow Trust tomorrow to get them to take a look at the way in which the 13 pin socket has been mounted and adjust its position if possible. I must say that this company has been very helpful indeed. I will update this post after my visit tomorrow

Last edited by Trev864; Oct 17th, 2018 at 23:14.
Trev864 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trev864 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 14:18   #28
Trev864

Default Update

I visited Tow Trust today and they were excellent.
They moved the 13 pin socket to its upper mounting point and angled it back slightly. It now sights out of sight behind the bumper and is no longer fitted vertically
On looking at the fitting instructions with a member of staff, I can also confirm that the tow bar should be fitted by bolting through Volvo's intended fixing points (as mine is). They confirmed that my towbar had all been fitted correctly apart from the position of the 13pin socket.
On looking at the tow bar myself, I cannot see how it could be fitted to to the crash beam mounting points
Trev864 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trev864 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2019, 14:01   #29
The Ridge Rider
Ex Trog

Quote:
Caravan is the same, its just the Tugger has changed.
Sorry for the late photo's of the changed tugger, as you can see the Alko Hitch has plenty of room.

Old May 10th, 2019, 18:46   #30
Stephen2015
S60 D5244T4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev864 View Post
I can confirm that on my car, the Tow Trust tow bar is mounted correctly (to the same points as the Volvo tow bar) It is definitely not attached to the crash beam mounting points.
I have spoken to Tow Trust on the phone and they have assured me that the crash beam is not re-fitted with their tow bar for this vehicle ( I have since found out that other makes of tow bar both for my car and others do not re-fit the crash beam after fitting the tow bar).
They also told me that their tow bar for my car has been tested to limits in excess of those Volvo use in their testing. I believe there is a you tube video on their testing.
After speaking to Tow Trust and having got underneath my car to look at the bar and mountings, I can say I'm happy with the safety aspect and the quality of the bar.
I also spoke to my insurance company who have confirmed that my insurance has not been invalidated by removal of the crash beam. Of course it has to be re-fitted should the tow bar ever be removed from the car.
I am going to Tow Trust tomorrow to get them to take a look at the way in which the 13 pin socket has been mounted and adjust its position if possible. I must say that this company has been very helpful indeed. I will update this post after my visit tomorrow
Great to see that someone has taken the time to find all the info, for me I would like to receive an email or letter from the insurance company stating the above is solid evidence if ever needed which I hope not, it's those other drivers who drive without a care in the world.
As with Insurance company's when you phone your just speaking with someone whose reads what ever on the screen and may not really know the correct answer.
Not till it too late if you ever have to make a claim the boys on the top floor Say differently unless you have it in writing.
Stephen2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen2015 For This Useful Post: