Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 light behind waterfall centre console

Views : 1723

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2018, 23:35   #1
dhr90

Default V60 light behind waterfall centre console

I've read that there is/may be a light behind the waterfall console, that shines into that cubby area. I've looked on my car and can see a lens, but it doesn't seem to illuminate when I open the doors or when I unlock the car or when I turn on the interior lighting.
Was this dropped after a certain year?
I've a MY14 13reg V60.
Below is an example of the light I'm interested in.
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 10:46   #2
1monkey600

This is also just being discussed on the xc70 forum. It seems some specs have it while others may not.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 11:53   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhr90 View Post
I've read that there is/may be a light behind the waterfall console, that shines into that cubby area. I've looked on my car and can see a lens, but it doesn't seem to illuminate when I open the doors or when I unlock the car or when I turn on the interior lighting.
Was this dropped after a certain year?
I've a MY14 13reg V60.
Below is an example of the light I'm interested in.
you need to look in total darkness it is not bright , it just casts a glow from a green led .
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 12:16   #4
Spike56
Master Member

The S60s have a light behind the radio/ a/c unit. They also have one IN the cup holder and one in the interior light fitting/mirror mount. They look like a small sliver of green candy (!). They seem to be on most of the time but are very, very dim. You will only notice them if you put your hand behind the console, look carefully in the cup holder and most bizarrely if you 'hover' your hand above the centre arm rest. The light level is about the same as when you turn down the illumination control for the dash. You will only really notice them on a dark night and no street lighting!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 22:23   #5
dhr90

From reading in bed last night, I think it was a part of the Winter Illumination Pack? I just have the Winter Pack. Which is where the difference is. I definitively have no cut outs for lights in the doors, don't have the auto dimming side mirrors either.

The light behind the console doesn't seem to work on mine, having tried it two nights running and stuck my hand in there to check. I probably should check again with the dash lights set to dim though.
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 23:51   #6
Spike56
Master Member

Very low light, rather like the hands of a luminous watch, and a similar colour.
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 17:05   #7
jasmith44
jasmith44

What's the point of having a light that can't be seen ?
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 18:27   #8
Spike56
Master Member

Actually you probably never look at the lights directly. They are 'ambient' lighting and designed to emit light and not distract. Think uplighting. They are green because that apparently doesn't interfere with night vision. Hence watches have green luminosity. Saabs have green dash boards for the same reason.

Ghostly glow.
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 20:24   #9
dhr90

Well it turns out I have to eat my words, it does work, only when engine is running though.
Nothing in cupholders or cubbyholes though.
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 14:41   #10
Spike56
Master Member

Perhaps Volvo saw the light (!) and realised that we are grown ups and quite capable of finding things for ourselves?

Seriously there are so many variations....so many!