Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First ever automatic box

Views : 2692

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2018, 07:53   #41
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No , that includes the service !
I read it again, I see what you meant now.

Quote:
The VAST majority of auto volvos have no problems at all with the gearbox ..and haven't for decades , there are always the odd ones of course which end up on here … making it look like 50% of volvos have faults with their gearbox . Having seen thousands of auto gearbox volvos over the last 40 years on a daily basis out there in the real world , is how I come to my conclusions.
I have to admit, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it as it is. True, my experience is limited to only this one, apart from customer's cars I've moved around in garages, and the occasional borrow - so there may be something I'm missing, but I don't see any faults. It changes gear when it should, kickdowns seem sensible, never labours, etc. Seems to work fine. I love it!
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2018, 17:58   #42
MDS40

I am looking to sump dump mine soon and it looks like access is available for my electric suction pump from the bonnet end .
Has anyone done it this way ?

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 15:15   #43
alcashj94

Yes, I do regular part changes through the gearbox dipstick hole with an electric pump.
I get about 2.5 litres out this way which is not as much as a sump dump but does keep the fluid fresh. I previously did several sump dumps which got rid of the accumulated 'sludge' with dark brown fluid so now do this at each oil change because it puts my mind at rest!
alcashj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alcashj94 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 15:43   #44
MDS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcashj94 View Post
Yes, I do regular part changes through the gearbox dipstick hole with an electric pump.
I get about 2.5 litres out this way which is not as much as a sump dump but does keep the fluid fresh. I previously did several sump dumps which got rid of the accumulated 'sludge' with dark brown fluid so now do this at each oil change because it puts my mind at rest!
Thanks, did you put in the fresh fluid with the pump or via a funnel ?

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 19:23   #45
Christerart
VOC Member

Talking

Quote:
You said :
Contrary to Volvo's charge that the transmission fluid is for "life" it is not.

That statement is simply untrue and hearsay . It is in their service schedule as an extra , optional ..

The service schedule changed about 5 years ago to add or remove items from the standard list to tailor it to suit you ,the old fixed item service sheet has long gone . for example now they would not do the cambelt etc on the 6th year/ 108000 mile service if you have only done 40000 miles …They should talk to you and advise hence their job title "Service Advisor" …
It is in the dealer's interest to ask if you want it changing , its another £200 in their pocket ...
The VAST majority of auto volvos have no problems at all with the gearbox ..and haven't for decades , there are always the odd ones of course which end up on here … making it look like 50% of volvos have faults with their gearbox . Having seen thousands of auto gearbox volvos over the last 40 years on a daily basis out there in the real world , is how I come to my conclusions .

Would you be prepared to double the cost of every other service to £700+due to having an auto fluid change ?? bearing in mind you would probably want a set of tyres ( £500 ? ) and brakes ( £500 ? ) as well The leasing companies wouldn't for sure . But the choice is there for you if you want it , entirely up to you .. volvo have never said the gearbox is sealed for life … which is what you implied and is what my post was about ..

It looks to me you are spoiling for an argument - all I said is his transmission would thank him - and it will NOT cost the kind of money if he takes the car to an indy or do it himself.

You say it is somewhere "service extra, optional" - how many has ever heard or read that - I certainly haven't - and I've owned a number of Volvos in my 73 year life.

The OP bought a used Volvo, 1999 with 160K miles on it - doesn't look like it's taken care of - what are the chances it has never had a transmission fluid change? He wants to take care of it - I gave him good advice and you pretty much attack me for saying something that's pretty much a well known fact - if you buy a used Volvo with some miles on it it behoves you to change the fluid because it is - as you yourself agree - it is NOT in the normal service.

There are many threads on this site about auto transmissions that fail - simply because they have never had a fluid exchange - and they haven't because it is not a part of the Volvo recommended service as you yourself admit. so the question is - why are you arguing instead of helping this new to autos, owner?

Your math is silly - - how many here go to the dealer for a service for a vehicle with 100 - 200K on it? Not many I think - they go to an Indy or do it themselves. And they most likely do not put new tyres on at the same time - - perhaps you are well off - most people can't - or won't - do a £700 service PLUS £500 for tyres PLUS £500 for brakes at the same time.

You come across as very argumentative - I seldom raise to that but in this case I seem to remember reading threads with in kind arguments from your side so I'm done with you.

To the OP:

Do do a t least a partial dump - if you wish to keep your transmission working happily and keep your car for awhile it's the thing to do..
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 20:00   #46
Christerart
VOC Member

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...t=75096&page=6

" Aw 55-50/51
Remember these boxes are electronically controlled, changes are delayed when the box is cold to aid warm up (normally not noticeable in day to day driving) once the ATF is reaching optimum temperature all should be smooth.

The B4 solenoid will give different symptoms, flaring (revs rise rapidly to 3/4000rpm) between 2-3rd changes. Plus this will happen at all temperatures.

Sadly these boxes seem to have gained a reputation for unreliability (yet they are fitted to the Toyota Camry and Corolla which gained a reputation for being among the worlds most boringly reliable car). What tends to get lost is it is a piece of mechanical equipment and it must be maintained. My own experience having owned and run several cars at a time is even the main dealers seems confused about maintaining them, I have been told they are "Sealed for life" I have been told the "ATF lasts the life of the car" (short and sudden then)

One of our engineers cars started to have issues and after a lot of too'ing and fro'ing and research we carried out our own ATF flush in 2001 on a MY2000 V70 T5 AW55-50 SN we also had to change the B4 as the flaring was there.

Ever since we carried out Oil/Filter changes every 5000 miles and Auto Box flush every 30000 miles (we always get the Dealer to check software and rest the fluid counter after each flush) and touch a tree or two I have not experienced any issues.

For the record the engineer who's car had issues at 40k kept the car when we sold the business he still has it now well over 200k (and he tows a Caravan)

My wife's MY2000 V70T5 is still smooth at 128k and my own V70 T5 Geartronic has no issues, so good maintenance is the Key.

Unfortunately a "Full Dealer History" doesn't necessarily mean the gearbox has been maintained."
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 20:05   #47
alcashj94

For MDS40, I refill my fluid with a long funnel in the dipstick hole, just be careful to put in the exact quantity as you took out and you should have no problems with the level - assuming it was right to begin with!
alcashj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alcashj94 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 21:05   #48
happy diver
Active Member Moment

So first you drink milk and what you pump out you replace

Nothing to measure!!!!!!!!!!

Ooooooh get a funnel with a hose!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooooooh disconnect your return hose to rad
extend it with something to somewhere and
start your car

Ooooooh there's a pump in there somewhere

When there is nothing pumping stop your car

Aaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then repeat, replacing fluid as you pump it out

and if you don't do it this way you've got **** for brains

Dum dum dum dee dee dee dumb doo doo doo daa daa daa

And remember, the gospel states that what you pumped out
was not necessarily the correct amount of fluid in the fist place

AND NEVER EVER EVER LOOK AT OR EVEN CONTEMPLATE THE
THE BIG HEX HEAD THING AT THE TOP OF THE TRANSMISSION

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 00:05   #49
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

happy is almost spot on here but dont run it dry, do a couple litres at a time!
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 09:51   #50
happy diver
Active Member Moment

I am spot on.

Open your eyes read the link and use your brain

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote