Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V70 T5 - For sale - blown head gasket

Views : 2557

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2008, 11:59   #1
mike2drummond

Default Volvo V70 T5 - For sale - blown head gasket

I have a 1998 (T reg) Volvo V70 T5 for sale. MOT to Nov, Taxed to Dec. The car was used daily but recently blew the head gasket and the repair is not economical as the head has warped.

The car has done about 130k, is metallic red, and was regularly serviced. Bodily it has a few supermarket dings as my wife used it as her daily car. Other than that it was in good condition.

The car is sitting in the repair garage in Glasgow and currently has the head disassembled.

I have a picture of the car in the repair workshop but currently can't get it to upload here.

Offers?

0141 776 6867 Home
01506 407111 Work
07974 429696 Mobile
mike2drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 17:52   #2
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I assume a couple of hundred quid aint going to buy this, it would cost me £300 probably to get it home, as i'm in northern ireland
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 01:59   #3
Lmason
L Mason

Default volvo

thought my s80 t6 with autobox stuck in first gear was a b***er.
it may be worth your while getting it repaired.
heads can be skimmed, for you to get your money back.

if its any help;
northern rebore services in newcastle upon tyne are good vehicle engineers.

im in northumberland, near alnwick, approx 2 and a half hours drive from glasgow, but i aint got any spare cash to transport.

ive got a spare £250 my mother would lend me.
cant get anymore funds, all my dosh has gone on my s80 t6
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:17   #4
mike2drummond

The head is supposedly too warped to skim. I trust the garage as it is a small independent one I have gone to for years and we have skimmed heads in the past.

I put the car on ebay starting at £200 with no reserve so I will just sell it for whatever it fetches. It has never been the best car. Compared to the previous 740 which we have kept on which is a tank and just runs forever ( now 210k miles and still going strong) it has needed quite a bit to keep it going, mainly suspension, brakes, tyres but also and ECU fault and coil packs.

I have now bought an RS6 but it is just too thirsty for daily use so I might revert back to running the 740 again!
mike2drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 01:25   #5
Lmason
L Mason

Default t5

hi,
i got a bit confused when replying. i misread that you lived in ireland and your car was in a garage in scotland.

whilst im emailing, what are the 740`s like for body? i mean are they galvanised type similar to the 850/s70/v70 or are they rust buckets?

im looking for another car once ive got rid of my s80 t6. cos all my life savings have gone in my s80.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 05:58   #6
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmason View Post
hi,
i got a bit confused when replying. i misread that you lived in ireland and your car was in a garage in scotland.

whilst im emailing, what are the 740`s like for body? i mean are they galvanised type similar to the 850/s70/v70 or are they rust buckets?

im looking for another car once ive got rid of my s80 t6. cos all my life savings have gone in my s80.
I work in the MOT centres over here, and i can honestly say that my 740 would put alot of newer 850's and S70's to shame as regauds body condition. Only place i've seen 7's or 9's rotting is the battery box, mainly due to acid errossion, and for some reason more so on 9's. My 740 is 1989, and has 2 small patches of rust on the bonnet, caused by stone chips which were never treated, there's a small stone chip on the wing, down to metal, but has never rusted in 4 or 5 years, so they must have galvanised bodies. So i gues, as any car, if cared for they wont rust, that said, other cars seem to require more care lol
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 02:05   #7
Lmason
L Mason

Default thanks for reply

thanks.
couldnt find the "thanks" button !!!