Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leaking coolant

Views : 3831

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2018, 18:28   #11
Leethomp

Well an update. Got the car home and started doing some tests myself. Absolutely no leaks anywhere. Pressure tested car when cold didn't lose an ounce of pressure. Held everything for 10 mins. However got car up to operating temp. Turned it off and preasure tested it.... and unfortunately lost about 2psi in a couple of mins. And continued to fall slowly. My guessing is it's now going to be head gasket or a crack somewhere. Has anybody else had anything similar??
Leethomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 13:13   #12
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Is your vehicle a turbo? I had a leak on one of the pipes in its vicinity and things were so hot down there that there was never any trace of any leaks. It took a 70km charge down the main highway one morning at 150 kph to figure it out (I know way too fast) I had steam coming out of engine when I stopped that pinpointed the leak. It only steamed for a very short while though and then all traces of the leak vanished.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 13:04   #13
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Does your car have a combined/integrated engine/gearbox radiator? May be the engine coolant is leaking into your automatic gearbox via the radiator?

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 17:25   #14
IJMOK

Hi,
I've also had some slow coolent loss from my 2012 V70
I've got some wetness on the foam strip at the bottom of the radiator,

Reading this, it confirms my thoughts that I need to replace my radiator,

Where did you get your radiator from, am I right in thinking the coolent capacity is 8l, so I will want 4l of concentrate, can you confirm what type of coolent is in the system?

Is there anything else I will need apart from spanners, sockets, a set of t drivers and lifting gear

Reading up it looks like the radiator comes out the bottom, will I be able to do it on axle stands?

Sorry for lots of questions

Rob
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 01:04   #15
Peter86
Pete

I have a slow leak on my V70 and I noticed the garage I got it from hadn't put the cap in the filler bottle properlyand I'm thinking the rubber gaskets have been damaged.im going to buy a new cap first as its only £25. I don't see any leaks and the car runs well otherwise. The oil did not appear contaminated on the change so I doubt its anything nasty. It has been in volvo for work and they have never mentioned anything about any leaks on inspection.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 15:47   #16
IJMOK

So,

Before the winter hits and it gets worse I’ve pulled the trigger, I don’t want it to get dramatically worse when its much colder, its currently doing between 500 – 100 miles between top-ups.
My older S60 never moved a millimeter during my ownership

Contemplated various stop leak additives but I can’t get my head around having it in the whole system, not just in the rad, and the longer-term consequences.
Ordered a:
Nissens - 65615A
4L of OEM Volvo Coolant - (Blue apparently)
25L of DI Water

I’m hoping that Sirobb’s video is close enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMkRdCUAlks

Concerningly my coolant is currently a watery orange, so I’ll be extra thorough with the flushing to avoid any gelling.

Ill report back after the weekend on progress 😊

Rob
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 17:51   #17
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJMOK View Post
So,

Before the winter hits and it gets worse I’ve pulled the trigger, I don’t want it to get dramatically worse when its much colder, its currently doing between 500 – 100 miles between top-ups.

Contemplated various stop leak additives but I can’t get my head around having it in the whole system, not just in the rad, and the longer-term consequences.
Ordered a:
Nissens - 65615A
25L of DI Water

Concerningly my coolant is currently a watery orange, so I’ll be extra thorough with the flushing to avoid any gelling.

Rob
That orange colour is telling me it ain't volvo coolant, that has always been green in various shades. 2010 ish the factory filled coolant turned brown as the anti corrosion inhibitors died. My car did this, dropped the coolant, flushed with hosepipe and refilled with volvo coolant which was a lighter green than the old stuff in my 1999 v70 but has shown no sign of colour change in the 5 years since done and passes the antifreeze test every year.
The volvo stuff is allegedly fill for life, certainly the old stuff was, wether the new stuff is remains to be seen, as said 5 years in and it's still looking good.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 14:19   #18
IJMOK

Thanks for confirming my suspicions,
It’s a job id rather not add to the list at the moment but it appears to of been well timed.

I’ll give it a very thorough clear out, with the hose pipe and could potentially do 3 hot flushes before refilling with actual coolant (25L of DI Water ordered) ill see how its looking on the day,

Irritatingly, APC took the coolant back to Hereford last night as I wasn’t in to sign for it and FedEx Ignored my request to leave the water behind the Bins and took that back to Bristol.

Hopefully both will succeed today after making a few calls last night.
TNT on the other hand succeeded in delivering the radiator to a neighbor but didn’t leave a note, at least were on good terms.

Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to IJMOK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 13:18   #19
IJMOK

Hi,
So to complete my story, I got the radiator and coolant changed over the weekend

SiRobb’s Video was a great help but the coolant drain on the oil cooler appears to of been removed on my 2012 model.
Vida recommends removing the hoses but with crimp connectors and not having enough jubilee clips on hand I left them instead opting to flush the system 4 times.
Twice with the hose and twice with deionized water.
Both the deionised water runs were done with the engine being bought up to temp and when I drained it looked crystal clear.
I used some rope to suspend the AC condenser whilst I swapped the rad over, all in all it wasn’t too bad and probable took around 6 or 7 hours including flushing and refiling the system.
I had issues removing the drain plug with the bumper on (access is tight so popped off the lower hose instead on occasion)

Bleeding wasn’t too bad, there is a cap on the top left of the radiator as you face the car that will help blead around 1L out of the top of the radiator, best accessed with the headlamp removed. (Be sure to install it correctly, its easy to feel it’s in correctly but for it to be loos and pop out later)

VIDA instructions here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VB...Bf3nrrN0d4eGmp

Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to IJMOK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 15:36   #20
Gilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJMOK View Post
So,

Ordered a:
Nissens - 65615A
25L of DI Water

Rob
Hi Rob an all,

I have the same thing. Apparently the rad is corroded and needs replacement. A common issue I gather. I've been quoted 400 by my independent mechanic (who is a friend) but I know a volvo rad cost 318GBP from Volvo. It obviously takes at least a couple of hours.

I know volvo don't make rads and use another manufacturer so I'll be very interested to hear how the Nissen rad fits. The "Volvo" rads are of obvious poor quality.

Thanks in advance for any updates.
Gilson is offline   Reply With Quote