Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

160,000km V70 auto with FSH - should I walk away?

Views : 474

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 12:12   #1
foxwelljsly

Default 160,000km V70 auto with FSH - should I walk away?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but hope to make considerable use of, and contribute to, this invaluable information resource and online community.

My reason for posting is that I am in a quandry regarding the imminent purchase of a cheap old Volvo V70 (up to 2005 and <£2000). I am aware that cheap cars come with risk, but having read a lot here, it would seem that a 2000-20002 auto V70 at 160,000 miles, even with a full service history, should be something to walk away from.

Is this necessarily the case? Or am I being too cautious?

many thanks
foxwelljsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 12:34   #2
DSK
C70 T5

I would used cars are only as good as they how well they have been maintained. Evidence of routine servicing is a must. Both petrol and diesel engines are strong and offer good service life.

Auto box - should definitely have the gearbox fluid changed to help keep the box working well.

Check for tired suspension and worn brakes as these cars are heavy on these two components.

Even with that mileage it should be a nice, comfortable and sure footed drive with no engine noises or smoke.

My personal rule of thumb to buying a good used car is;

1. low number of owners
2. no cheap quality modifications
3. evidence of service history/reciepts to prove routine maintenance
4. interior should be clean and intact with no missing trim (neglected interior = abused vehicle)
5. Exterior bodywork should be free of scuffs and dents as these are easy to repair to help keep a car looking nice.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 13:52   #3
TonyB65

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwelljsly View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but hope to make considerable use of, and contribute to, this invaluable information resource and online community.

My reason for posting is that I am in a quandry regarding the imminent purchase of a cheap old Volvo V70 (up to 2005 and <£2000). I am aware that cheap cars come with risk, but having read a lot here, it would seem that a 2000-20002 auto V70 at 160,000 miles, even with a full service history, should be something to walk away from.

many thanks
If it has a FSH, with evidence of bills, and it's clean inside and out it's probably been maintained properly. Check the MOT history online, that will give you further clues. As has been stated, check the gearbox fluid has been changed, plus any cambelt changes, If it all checks out it could be a good buy. I picked mine up with 96K on the clock and it drives like new, I don't expect it to be much different at 160K because I'll maintain it accordingly.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 16:57   #4
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I agree with 'DSK' and 'TonyB65'. Buy wisely and you are unlikely to regret it.

Personal experience: I bought an early 2000 V70 auto with 118K up from a dealer in August 2016 for £550. It was up for £695, but only had 4 months MOT left. He didn't want to put a new one on it for me, but said I could have it as a 'trade' sale.

It passed the first MOT in my ownership with only attention to the handbrake and exhaust required, and has since gone through another with just a couple of advisories.

It runs well, is a comfortable, commodious load lugger which returns 30MPG overall. I think its brilliant! Go for it!

Regards, John.
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 11:42   #5
Christerart
VOC Member

All good points by the precious posters.

The one thing with a full service history - as mentioned in other threads here - it does not necessary mean it has had a transmission fluid change - which is imperative - especially if it has been towing.

Take it for an extended test - at least 30 minutes drive and see how the gear box changes when it's warm. If it's acting up when warm - hard shifting - you are probably best off walking away.

Same thing if seller won't let you do that test..

However - it does not necessary mean the transmission is screwed - a couple of years I bought a 2002 V70 Auto D5 for £800. Lots of miles - 209K.

Most of that had been going from Scotland to Heathrow (with a trailer). Tons of service history but for the last 4 years an older gentleman owned it and did not take care of it and when the transmission was warm it was a little choppy.

So I did what Kira recommends here:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=75096&page=34

post 339.

I did a partial dump and another one 1,000 miles later and then added the LubeGuard.

The transmission now - after 25K miles in two years shifts like new - and I get 55+ mpg on the road .
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 23:51   #6
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwelljsly View Post
Hi all,

many thanks
You dont say whether its petrol or Diesel if diesel it will be d5 and bullet proof.all cars that age will need some work if you can do it great you've bought yourself a gem if not you need to decide how long you want to keep the car and factor in repairs.

Find a good indi volvo mech and stick with him if he's good.

Plenty of P2's about now for spares remember so all good. You could spend £20.000 on a new motor now and STILL have to mend it.

I ran an MY04 SE V70 for 6 years until I bought my present MY08 XC90 in 2014 and i have to say I still miss it now although I do love my XC90.

The final choice will be yours of course but there are plenty of stories of love and many high miler's of v70 P2's on here.

I sold mine at 144.000 mls and it still went like new especially after a new inter-cooler was fitted and the manual will return 52mpg @75mph all day long.

if you drive it and you are smitten ....Buy it.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!

Last edited by xco; Oct 26th, 2018 at 00:05.
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xco For This Useful Post: