Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 running problems.

Views : 1915

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2010, 09:30   #1
Sando

Default 940 running problems.

Help!

I'm getting close to wanting to get shot of my formerly beloved Volvo.

I bought the car nearly a year ago and fell for her quirky charms.

No i'm considering a divorce.

She never wants do the same things as me anymore, and when we do manage to go out together, she kicks up a fuss and we end up having to come home.

To start with I had running problems. Simply caused by the silencer collapsing internally and partially blocking the exhaust off. Easy fix.

Secondly, just a bit off lumpy running and the Lambda light on. A broken wire on the sensor was the fault. Again, easy fix.

Then an intermittend complete cut out of the engine which deteriorated into a full non start. Chased this for ages. I've changed the rotor arm and dizzy cap, coil, plugs, fuel pump relay and the ignition amplifier. Finally I changed the crank position sensor. Great joy, after weeks layed up, problem solved.

Now, after all this and 4 or 5 months easy living, problems have struck again.

On anything more than tiny throttle opening I get a misfire on all cylinders at about 2500 to 3000 rpm. I can still here an explosion, but there's absolutely no power.

So far on this one i've changed the fuel pressure regulator, the MAF sensor and the fuel filter. I've also changed some of the vacum hoses and cleared a partially blocked up crankcase brether pipe.

Applogies for the long post but I wanted to give a comprehensive history to avoid miss-diagnosis.

Please help me re-discover my passion for the old girl.
Sando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 10:46   #2
OldBlueVolvo
VOC Member

940s aren't really my area, but have you had the fault codes read?
OldBlueVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 11:34   #3
globetrotter

Have you tried a new radio suppression relay?, located on the right hand side in front of the strut, (looking at the engine), this relay supplies power to the fuel injectors and the coil, and if intermittent can cause your symptoms, or not start at all, try getting a 12v led and wire it with 6.3 female spade crimps across the coil, the flashes should be regular,it takes the guesswork out of it, if not the problem lies up stream of the coil
globetrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 20:53   #4
Sando

I have had the fault codes read previously, when it wouldn't start at all. And it showed 1-1-1. Which, correct me if I'm wrong, is no faults. This was despite the CPS signal being completely absent.

I have suspected the RSR in the past, but have never got arouund to changing it. Are they hard to come by/expensive?

Annoyingly, I've just taken here for a spin and everything seemed fine. Not faultless, but a good as it's everbeen. Yet two days ago the problem was present. Doh!
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 20:59   #5
Dr. Rog
Master Member

Unhappy

Sounds scarily like the problem I had.

We never got to the bottom of it. So I can only recommend trying the advice above.

Previously owned 1996 940 SE auto and GLE manual, both B230FK estates.
Dr. Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 23:48   #6
RealEstate
Master Member

have you checked the FAQ? It suggests faulty knock sensor?
RealEstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 12:59   #7
Alasdair1
Master Member

Had similar problem. Car was ok at low revs but when above 1500 misfired badly and no power. My problem was cylinder head gasket burnt out between cylinders. No compression and no power. Found out by checking compression on all cylinders. two and Three were well down compared to one and four. Worth a compresion check anyway.
Alasdair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 16:53   #8
TonyS9
Premier Member

You seem to be very unlucky, or has this car previously been a donor for faults and ended up with a collection of faulty parts. My 95 car has been impeccable.

What about a weak spark? You've changed most of the HT parts but oil in the disty could cause your problem.

Air leaks?
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 09:55   #9
Sando

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealEstate View Post
have you checked the FAQ? It suggests faulty knock sensor?
I'm not sure what you mean by knock sensor. Is that the same as the crank posistion sensor? If it is, I've already replaced that. If not, what and where is it?
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 19:54   #10
james 1992 940

Taken from FAQ http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Engi...ngaKnockSensor"The knock sensor is located on the cylinder head under the junction between number two and three intake manifold runners. It is next to the two coolant temperature sensors also bolted to the head. "
Gives other details on purpose and fault syptoms.

Last edited by james 1992 940; Oct 9th, 2010 at 19:56. Reason: Missing end quote mark
james 1992 940 is offline   Reply With Quote