Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 - Looking to buy one, need advice

Views : 2472

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2020, 16:03   #1
sbk1972

Default C70 - Looking to buy one, need advice

Hi all,

Looking to buy a 2006 - 2010 C70 Convertible. Im aiming to get a D5 model as I want the more powerful engine.

im seeking advice around what to look for in the D5 engine. Is it the same one used in the S60 ? Does it have a cambelt ? Does it have injector issues ? Are the gearboxs weak ? im planning to get an automatic and I would imagine it will need the fluoid swapping.

Ive been reading that the convertibles are heavy so assume suspension bushs and pins to need replacing.

Just hoping to get lots of advice from you wise owls :-)

Simon
sbk1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 09:46   #2
AndrasL

I don't know about that engine, however the D3 is more than enough to give a good feeling, so you will be fine with it. D3, D4 and D5 are all Volvo engines and reliable.
Of course you should change all fluids after buying the car. I did it with my S40. I also replaced the shocks (that car is not light either).

You should read around this forum, you will find lots of useful information.
AndrasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 11:04   #3
zapcity1

Hi Simon,

Good choice. C70's are so cheap currently, you can certainly get a bargain. I'm no mechanic just a keen amateur, but I've had C70's for about 10 years, and found most of what I need on this forum. 2.0D powershift was first and I can't recommend this, then D5 auto ('07 with 130k currently).

The D5 in the C70 is a D5244T8 which is unique to the C70, S40 autos etc. I think due to the airbox space restrictions, it is slightly down on power compared to the D5244T4 in other models around the same time (someone can probably confirm/deny this).

The gearbox is the AW55-51 and the engine is torque limited in lower gears to 350Nm, so think carefully if you want to remap! I've found the gearbox excellent since I've owned mine. Suits the car well with the torque of the D5.

Even a Polestar remap limits torque to 380Nm on this gearbox, and the engine is easily capable of around 450Nm.

Regular ATF changing is most sensible. You'll find threads galore on here, but I think most would recommend regular changes. I do mine annually now but just a sump dump. It's a well documented procedure and relatively cheap and easy to do yourself. If you have no history of ATF change, you might want to go the whole hog and do a full fluid change, so useful video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DxEmb-2s2A

Cambelt is 108k or 10 years (whichever comes first) and aux belts and tensioners at 54k or 5 years (whichever comes first). Never ever skimp on this regime (service schedule attached for T4 engine but basics are correct). Again, if you have no proof of these being changed, budget accordingly.

I've had all of the springs, shocks and driveshafts replaced on mine (between 100k-125k miles). As you say, it's a heavy car running on a S40/V50 platform, so budget for some expense depending on mileage. I've buckled both front wheels, so I now keep a spare ready to go!

Roof is as good as they get for a 3 piece metal roof. Very reliable but expensive if problematic. I had a hydraulic pipe leak (rear deck lid opening) and the part was over £300 (even with the FRF generous discount) just for the part! Roof and seal maintenance/servicing is well documented and easy enough to do yourself.

Ive added a few other docs attached for bedtime reading and a link to the largest document here: https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/c7...ullDetails.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D5244T4_D5_185PS_Maintenance.pdf (205.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: pdf Volvo C70 Roof Service.pdf (421.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf ConvertibleRoof.pdf (1.47 MB, 10 views)

Last edited by zapcity1; Jun 30th, 2020 at 11:07.
zapcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 14:32   #4
sbk1972

Hi Zap,

Many thanks for the tremendous amount of information, and documents. I will down load and start building up my library ! :-)

I dont plan to chip / remap. I tend to just leave the car as is.

Im trying to find a nice C70 D5 Lux se. In silver, silver leather. sub 70K. Ive been told to go for xenons and Volvo's top level stereo system. Not over worried about having Satnav. Does this level have any phone / bluetooth ?

Im preparing for a full flush of oils, fluids, and filters. Im planning for new shocks and suspension bushes.

Does your roof suffer from many rattles ? Been reading that nearly all do.

Simon
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 14:45   #5
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

As long as it has a USB port under the armrest cover you will have more options when it comes to music streaming.

Prior to 2012, the factory bluetooth option was for telephone calls only (not music), but did include options for Aux, USB stick or iPod (cables under the arm rest). However 2012 onwards did allow bluetooth music streaming, but seems to ditch the USB and iPod options, and possibly the Aux too.

So you don't necessarily need a 2012 onwards model soley for the music streaming. As long as it has a USB port you will be able to pop on ebay and buy any of the multitude of USB bluetooth dongles and plug that in. Very good idea to check for USB or AUX ports because without these, you are stuffed music wise.
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 16:16   #6
zapcity1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1972 View Post
Hi Zap,

Many thanks for the tremendous amount of information, and documents. I will down load and start building up my library ! :-)

I dont plan to chip / remap. I tend to just leave the car as is.

Im trying to find a nice C70 D5 Lux se. In silver, silver leather. sub 70K. Ive been told to go for xenons and Volvo's top level stereo system. Not over worried about having Satnav. Does this level have any phone / bluetooth ?

Im preparing for a full flush of oils, fluids, and filters. Im planning for new shocks and suspension bushes.

Does your roof suffer from many rattles ? Been reading that nearly all do.

Simon
Good advice from T5R92011 re: music. My XC70 has the optional USB/IPOD/AUX cables fitted in the centre arm rest, and allows you to plug in a USB stick. Very handy.

My C70 has the Dynaudio system which is top quality and worth the money but just the 3.5mm aux input. 6-cd changer and MP3 capability, but not exactly cutting edge tech. compared to the Apple/Android options avaiable today! Attached is MY08 price list and you can see no BT options only the inbuilt GSM phone, but BT was available from 2009 onwards so you can find a D5 with BT. There are upgrade options from Grom (good reviews on here) and Bluepower (not such good reviews!!), but I stick with the factory system. No bluetooth is heaven, "sorry I was driving so couldn't answer your call". Lovely!!

Grom: https://gromaudio.com/store/all-vols6o4.html
Bluepower: https://www.bluepower.se/en/product/...ndroid-71.html

Standard headlights are absolute crap and that's being polite. If you can get xenons then do, but they were an expensive option at the time. There are options to fit different bulbs or even LED (which must be illegal I guess).

Satnav was good in its day, but no longer being updated. Don't pay extra for it, but if it has it then its useable and updatable to 2018 maps via 3rd party websites like https://www.latestsatnav.co.uk/ or https://www.satnavupdatestore.co.uk/. It will be an MMM+ system.
Mobile phone, Brodit clip and Waze are light years ahead!

Also, the AM radio band won't work (if it does you are one of the select few) but probably not a big issue.

I'm lucky, my roof has very few rattles. However, I put this down to good maintenance. Keeping the seals clean & lubed definately helps.

VIDA is useful to put the roof in the maintenance position (plus many other uses - search CheshireD5 on this forum if you want to buy) as its awkward to reach all the seals. If you don't have VIDA, just stop the roof when it is about 3/4 open. Don't forget to complete the cycle when finished though.

I give the seals a thorough clean first with water/shampoo to remove all the dirt. Make sure you get under the folds in the seals as the dirt and grit gets trapped easily. Let them dry for an hour. Follow this with a wipedown with Isopropyl Alcohol - IPA (1161721 or alternative from local supplier), then treat with Krytox GPL-105 (not gummi pflege. This is OK for door seals but not the roof as it doesn't last). I do this twice a year.

If you have time, I always do the seal cleaning process on all of the seals on the car (doors, boot etc.), plus check the boot drain holes near the rear windows when the boot is open. These will block regularly!

Nice job to do when the weather is fine.

Hope this is useful and keep asking if you need anymore info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf C70MY08PDFPriceList (1).pdf (851.9 KB, 9 views)
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 13:24   #7
sbk1972

So a 2006 C70 T5 has popped up. 77K miles. 3 owners. However the roof doesnt work. Mmmm going to offer him £1k.

What's the T5 engine like ? PCV issues ? What do i need to look out for ? Which is the better engine t5 or d5 ?

roof doesnt work. How easy are the roofs to work on ? sounds like I will need to get the volvo diag software. Anyone here had to diag a non working working ?

Simon
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 13:42   #8
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
So a 2006 C70 T5 has popped up. 77K miles. 3 owners. However the roof doesnt work. Mmmm going to offer him £1k.

What's the T5 engine like ? PCV issues ? What do i need to look out for ? Which is the better engine t5 or d5 ?

roof doesnt work. How easy are the roofs to work on ? sounds like I will need to get the volvo diag software. Anyone here had to diag a non working working ?

Simon
T5 MPG is very bad but reliability and longevity is very high. Mine is at 151,000 miles and pulls like a train in every gear, at basically any RPM.

D5 is also a very good engine but don't expect better than high 30's/low 40s for average MPG. They do have more things to go wrong than the T5, but that is the same for all diesel engines.

Regarding the T5 PCV, a whistling noise at idle that disappears when you pull the dipstick (with a hiss of released pressure) indicates that the PCV diaphram has torn. You can apparently buy the diaphram alone online for cheap (Poland etc), however most people just replace the whole PCV housing, which is more expensive to do.

Other than that, in terms of reliability they (T5) are excellent.

It's really just a case of can you live with the MPG. I've just had to buy a D5 to run alongside my T5, because I can't afford to run a T5 as my main car anymore.
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 15:21   #9
sbk1972

Thanks T5. What sort of mpg do you see ?

This car is a T5 Lux Se. A few scratches here and there.

Seems the ABS light is on, so a sensor has gone. Would that stop the roof from working ? The owner told me that the roof just stopped, i.e. not through a cycle but got into it one day and it didnt work. May be due to it not being used ?

Any tips to fix it ?

Simon
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 16:01   #10
zapcity1

Quote:

Simon
I have a D5 but I'd take a T5 everytime if I didn't do many miles. T5 auto can deliver horrendous MPG but a great engine. As T5R92011 said, D5 MPG is mid 30s around town. I've had 44mpg on a run.

With VIDA, the roof diagrams (the FullDetails document is very helpful) and a methodical approach you could repair. If you want to get it done professionally, then Cayman Autos are an hour from you. They are leading independents in roof fixing, but not cheap.

When my hydraulic system failed, the roof still operated, but only the failed part of the operation stalled (boot lid close) due to a fractured pipe. This was easy to find as the hydraulic fluid leaked everywhere. Parts are very, very expensive (my pipe set was £300) but loads 2nd hand.

That T5 is a £4K car in good condition, so you might get a bargain.

Last edited by zapcity1; Jul 1st, 2020 at 16:03.
zapcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote