Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

480 SE ODOMETER FAULT

Views : 2785

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 16:01   #1
MERLIN001

THE READING ON MY ODOMETER IS INTERMITTENT,WORKS WHEN IT FEELS LIKE.DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT IS HAPPENING,AND IF IT'S KNACKERED,WHAT I NEED AND HOW MUCH I CAN EXPECT TO PAY?.ALL COMMENTS APPRECIATED
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 00:50   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 480 SE ODOMETER FAULT

Unless it is electronically operated from the CEU it may well be the famous little plastic gear that splits leaving itself a little loose and not turning all the time. Ascertain which type of drive is used, check all electrical connections are sound and if all else fails send the instrument to one of the repairers mentioned in the archives.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 15:07   #3
MERLIN001

thanks for ur response peter,i will have a look at it.sounds like a fault associated with the 480 and must b quite common.i have another problem though.the display (fuel,mpg,temp,etc) on the dash intermittently goes off or has a wobbler where all the digits go beserk.the car was stood for a while b4 i got it,do u think this could b caused by damp?,if so it should rectify itself,yes?.i appreciate the time u take to respond and hope u have an idea about this also.many thanks.

john
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 01:32   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 480 SE ODOMETER FAULT

This is usually due to connections becoming corroded/dirty/loose between the Central Electronic Module and the Information Centre which is the instrument you refer to. Most of the 480 problems are due to damp and poor connections.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 22:26   #5
Rob W

Have you had the dash out before? I've taken mine out several times and as a result I too had the same problem. Turned out that the plugs weren't plugged in properly They really need to be pushed in firmly and completely in order for the odometer to work correctly. I'd check this first of all as doing this saved me a few pounds and a trip to the scrappies.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 17:03   #6
alasitsgas

I have a 480 es, recently the information centre backlights haven't been working, i managed to trace it back to a blown fuse for the electric mirrors, after replacing it everything seemed to returned to normal, but occassionally i get a problem when all the lights around the information centre light up and the readings distort. any suggestions please?
alasitsgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 20:14   #7
Daniel M
Inbetween Volvo's...

This is a massively covered topic of late...thats why the search function is on the main page!

Basically, the connections on the back of the speedo do sometimes get a bit gunked up or wahtever, so a bit of contact cleaner from an electrical outlet will sort that-spray on, then push plug on/off several times. Another thing to look at will be the solder joins on the back of the unit also. These dry out over time-check they all ok. If they aren't, just a little solder repair job. They should solve the crazy readouts or intermittant info.

Job done!
:: 440 2.0i SE, 1994, 306 Smoke Silver Metallic :: Sold
:: 440 1.7 GLEi, 1991, 219 Ocean Blue Metallic Metallic :: Sold
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 21:13   #8
volcar16

Default 1995 480 Odometer doesn't turn over

The odometer in my 480 Celebration has decided to stop working too, is this most likely to be the pesky gear wheel I've read so much about? @ MERLIN001 Did you get yours working again?

The instrument panel has been fault free in the 15 years and 130,000 miles I've done since owning the car apart from the info centre puts on a light show of random characters once every 6 years or so...
volcar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 14:58   #9
glasgowjim

A member of the 480 club europe repairs the instrument pods of 480's

"brinkie"

he is good.

look it up !
glasgowjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 15:02   #10
glasgowjim

look here

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/foru...p?f=12&t=35005