Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 estate spark plug size and gap

Views : 2886

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2009, 18:30   #1
gary2008

Default 850 estate spark plug size and gap

Hi all i know this may sound like a silly question but could anyone tell me what size the spark plugs are for a 1994 volvo 850 se 2.5 auto estate?Also could you tell me what size the gap should be on them.
Many thanks
Gary
gary2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 18:41   #2
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2008 View Post
Hi all i know this may sound like a silly question but could anyone tell me what size the spark plugs are for a 1994 volvo 850 se 2.5 auto estate?Also could you tell me what size the gap should be on them.
Many thanks
Gary
i can't tell you the info you need but I believe it does say in the vehicle handbook
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 20:25   #3
spandau
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Many thanks
Gary
14X1.25 mm 16mm A/F, gap from memory about 0.7MM
spandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 19:38   #4
gary2008

Many thanks for that just another silly question but what is A/F?
cheers
gary
gary2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 00:29   #5
misa
misha

Best solution is to use Oem Volvo spark plugs,there are 5 of them in the pack.I use them on my 850 from beginning and never had any problems.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 01:21   #6
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Re: A/F

Quote:
Many thanks for that just another silly question but what is A/F?
cheers
gary
A/F is a type of spanner. Spanners habitually have names to differentiate them by type, hence A/F, Whitworth, etc.

In this case it applies to the box spanner size for your plugs, of which there should be one in the factory toolkit - in the spare wheelwell.

Plugs are normally pre-gapped these days, but always worth checking to make sure.

Cheers,

T
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 13:08   #7
spandau
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T240 View Post
A/F is a type of spanner. Spanners habitually have names to differentiate them by type, hence A/F, Whitworth, etc.

In this case it applies to the box spanner size for your plugs, of which there should be one in the factory toolkit - in the spare wheelwell.

Plugs are normally pre-gapped these days, but always worth checking to make sure.

Cheers,

T
A/F refers to the dimension across the flats of the hexagon of in this case the plug, i wouldnt use the box spanner, far better to a buy a proper 3/8 plug socket and use it ideally in conjunction with a torque wrench, always good pratice to torque spark plugs when you have a aluminium alloy head ,a touch of never seez will not go amiss , if you havent got a torque wrench just be very carefull you dont over do it, as for plugs being pre gapped yes they are, problem is that plug may be suitable for a whole range of vehicles, so is a compromise, always check the gap

Last edited by spandau; Jul 6th, 2009 at 13:16.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 18:53   #8
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default ReA/F

Quote:
Originally Posted by spandau View Post
A/F refers to the dimension across the flats of the hexagon of in this case the plug, i wouldnt use the box spanner, far better to a buy a proper 3/8 plug socket and use it ideally in conjunction with a torque wrench, always good pratice to torque spark plugs when you have a aluminium alloy head ,a touch of never seez will not go amiss , if you havent got a torque wrench just be very carefull you dont over do it, as for plugs being pre gapped yes they are, problem is that plug may be suitable for a whole range of vehicles, so is a compromise, always check the gap
Which is pretty much what I said.

Better still to buy the rubber lined type which helps hold and protect the plug; but the regular guy in the street wil probably still use the box spanner provided.

The stuff you're struggling to find the name for is copper grease.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 19:55   #9
spandau
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T240 View Post
Which is pretty much what I said.

Better still to buy the rubber lined type which helps hold and protect the plug; but the regular guy in the street wil probably still use the box spanner provided.

The stuff you're struggling to find the name for is copper grease.
Er yeah, thats what i said buy a proper plug socket ,a proper plug socket by its very definition has a protective insert which is where it differs from a standard long reach 16mm socket, further dont assume anything, it makes an ass out of u and me, i didnt mean use copper grease, had i meant use copper grease i would have stated use copper grease ,i however meant use never seez ,which for your info is the brand name of a high spec anti sieze compound made by bostik which is especially suited to preventing dissimilar metal corrosion and siezure at elevated temps ,......... we live and learn eh ?
http://www.bostik-us.com/our-brands/...z/default.html

Last edited by spandau; Jul 7th, 2009 at 22:14.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 09:34   #10
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by spandau View Post
14X1.25 mm 16mm A/F, gap from memory about 0.7MM
The gap on a N/A should be .9mm.., .7 is for the T5's...

Chow,
Jod