Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 327097

Replies : 3020

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2019, 13:45   #1721
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Not today.....
Sunday, drove it from Nivillac ( southern Brittany) to channel tunnel 596 miles.
Then onwards to Allestree (Derby) = 596 miles.
Monday, drove it from Allestree to Silloth, Cumbria = 203 miles
So 799 miles in 2 days.
Did'nt miss a beat.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 07:30   #1722
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxlin View Post
After being without the car for a while (in dock waiting for parts!) got it back earlier in the week. Yesterday was the first opportunity to use it, and as it was a lovely crisp day, I had the top down.
So, with a new ECU, the DPF physically cleaned out, a new bit for the turbo (waste gate previously stuck open), and an empty wallet, what I did yesterday was enjoy my rejuvenated Volvo!🙂

My wallet would have been in debt, not just empty, had I not renewed the extended warranty......👍
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 12:40   #1723
petey
Master Member

Stupid puddle light fell out of the driver's door mirror and wouldn't clip back in.
Do I:-

a) pull the mirror glass, risk both the glass and the fixings to get to the insides of the mirror housing to repair the security clip that's probably broken
or
b) jam the puddle lamp back in with the tail of a cable tie wedged in the edge, holding it in place?
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 17:03   #1724
northbradleys70

That's a huge dilemma. Head says cable tie bodge. Heart says take out the glass without disturbing the spider.
Seriously the glass comes out quite easily. Just done mine as heated element had failed.
Over to you!!!
Derek
northbradleys70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 19:05   #1725
petey
Master Member

Brittle plastics are a curse of older cars and to what aim in this case?
In fairness, I can now get to the glass from behind and might be able to push it out as well as lever it out. But the very best thing that can happen is my puddle light fits. I’m fighting a losing battle with the number of little things and this one isn’t going to feature strongly (need to replace my side-of-the-Road exhaust/cable tie fix) with the MOT up for an early test next week.

Cable tie I reckon....
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 19:28   #1726
oragex
Premier Member

Do you place it back into it's 'socket' the right way? I found it a bit tricky to slide it back in place (in order to clip) 1:16 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBlKNkmK2xg

If it doesn't do it, I'd try some Gorilla tape (much stickier than Duck tape)
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 19:45   #1727
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkulcsar View Post
I am 100% sure that Volvo made P2 steels in 15".
I have a spare car (2001 V70 2.5TDI) which came with these. However the wheels are very rusted since the car has been sitting outside for a couple of years. I will try to check the part number for you.
I have S70 OEM 15" wheels on my 2003 S60 non turbo but mine came factory with 15" so the 15" wheels from the S70 clear the front calipers (factory wheel size behind gas door if it's the original one). The wheels on P1 have a different angle at the lug hole, and the P1 also had different wheel lugs. However, the P2 lugs fit just fine on it, actually I feel it's smoother to torque them down.

However on turbo P2 the factory wheels were 16"/17" so I think 15" wheels won't clear the front caliper

As for the steel rims there have indeed been made by Volvo but are very rare and most aftermarket wheels (or from other vehicles) don't fit this car
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 12:22   #1728
petey
Master Member

So I had a good look at the puddle lamp and whilst I thought it was an internal clip within the mirror that had broken, it turned out to be the spring loaded tang that decided to break off absolutely square and flat; brittle plastic breaking apart without me even touching it. I think I was wise to avoid stressing any more parts.....
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 14:14   #1729
Sojournermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
So I had a good look at the puddle lamp and whilst I thought it was an internal clip within the mirror that had broken, it turned out to be the spring loaded tang that decided to break off absolutely square and flat; brittle plastic breaking apart without me even touching it. I think I was wise to avoid stressing any more parts.....
I have a near side puddle lamp that o think is fine if you’d like it for the cost of postage? Let me know and I’ll check it - it’s currently in a sealed box with the rest of the mirror (broken back cover)
Sojournermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 15:40   #1730
petey
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojournermike View Post
I have a near side puddle lamp that o think is fine if you’d like it for the cost of postage? Let me know and I’ll check it - it’s currently in a sealed box with the rest of the mirror (broken back cover)
Oh, that would have been awesome but it’s an OS (UK Driver’s side) one that’s failed. Thank you muchly though.