Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 new member help with misfire and p2110

Views : 4764

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2015, 17:45   #1
Sciroccotune

Default S40 new member help with misfire and p2110

Hi guys,

Just joined so hello to you all

I'm after some help with my friends 2005 55 plate 1.8 s40. He has had it since new and its been very reliable but in the last week it has developed a fault that has gone from intermittent to every time you drive.

Basically the car starts up and but the revs are high and if you push the accelerator the revs take drop a bit to slow. After about 50m of driving the car goes into a limp mode and the engine runs like its on 2 cylinders and you get a message reduced engine performance / limp mode. It's so bad it can't really be driven.

In the last few days I have replaced the throttle body and an O2 sensor but still get the same fault code
P2110 forced reduced rpm.

I have tested the whole engine side loom and all checks out, I am now thinking PCM /ECU.

Any advice that saves me having to take it Volvo would be amazing

Thanks

Chris
Sciroccotune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2015, 18:32   #2
XcOM

Check the CEM contacts, if they are dirty or loose all sorts of magic things happen, are the injectors clean and clear, that could be another thing

XcOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2015, 18:55   #3
Sciroccotune

Thanks for the reply,

I haven't checked the cem but will do, is it under the drivers side dash panel (UK car)?

Thanks
Old Aug 2nd, 2015, 13:16   #4
XcOM

it's under the passenger footwell

Reverse the image for UK car's, so in otherwords, its under the glovebox, kill all power before you touch it though.

XcOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 11:37   #5
Sciroccotune

Thanks, everything looked fine with it.
Sadly the car is now booked in with Volvo for diagnostic on Thursday.

Will roport back in case it can help other members in the future
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 12:47   #6
Sciroccotune

Hi all,

I finally sorted the issue. Volvo couldn't figure it out which was a wast of time!

Finally found that the breather pipe on the back of the manifold was perished and split. Had to remove the whole manifold and replace the pipe. It can not be accessed with out fully removing the manifold

Pipe was 32 pounds from Ford or Volvo and it's about 4 inches long.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 23:14   #7
Tolemy

Default P2110 forced reduced rpm

P2110 forced reduced rpm

I have a 2005 V50 1.8i and recently got the code P2110 forced reduced rpm. I got this code after high rpms at cold start (1500-2000rpm) then dropping to 1000prm. If I drove off the car would move into limp mode and there would be engine no power.

If I let the car warm up for 5mins. this did not happen, but the revs would not reduce to below 1000rpm.

In general the rpms always dropped more slowly than normal after revving so I looked for vacuum leaks but found none.

I let the car warm up and used it this way for a while, but the problem got worse. Higher rpm (up to 3000rpm) when starting from cold and going into limp mode. I could pull over stop and restart the engine, this reset the engine out of limp mode and I could use the car again.

Also when coming to a halt at traffic lights with the car in neutral the rpms would rise to 1500-2000rpm and drop again without my foot on the accelerator. I collected the ODB data stream during these events and the MAP sensor reading was varying rather than steady. Hence I think the computer was compensating for an inlet pressure change by revving the engine.

Finally I decided it must be the MAP sensor or PCV valve. Removing the inlet manifold I found a split breather pipe and replaced the PCV valve since I am close to 100,000 miles. Shaking this valve it sounded a bit sticky not a very scientific test.

Now the car is back to normal, close to 750-800rpm when warm and rpms drop quickly after revving.

My part numbers were:
1) PCV valve from Volvo part no. 30711779 cost £28.80+VAT
2) Breather pipe with clips attached Volvo part no. 30777588 cost £13.20+VAT
3) Due to the age of the car I also changed the manifold gaskets since they were hard and not very flexible £14.67 inc VAT. They are the same as on a Ford CMAX MPV 1.8i.

Hope this will help someone.
Tolemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 16:37   #8
Scrannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemy View Post
P2110 forced reduced rpm

I have a 2005 V50 1.8i and recently got the code P2110 forced reduced rpm. I got this code after high rpms at cold start (1500-2000rpm) then dropping to 1000prm. If I drove off the car would move into limp mode and there would be engine no power.

If I let the car warm up for 5mins. this did not happen, but the revs would not reduce to below 1000rpm.

In general the rpms always dropped more slowly than normal after revving so I looked for vacuum leaks but found none.

I let the car warm up and used it this way for a while, but the problem got worse. Higher rpm (up to 3000rpm) when starting from cold and going into limp mode. I could pull over stop and restart the engine, this reset the engine out of limp mode and I could use the car again.

Also when coming to a halt at traffic lights with the car in neutral the rpms would rise to 1500-2000rpm and drop again without my foot on the accelerator. I collected the ODB data stream during these events and the MAP sensor reading was varying rather than steady. Hence I think the computer was compensating for an inlet pressure change by revving the engine.

Finally I decided it must be the MAP sensor or PCV valve. Removing the inlet manifold I found a split breather pipe and replaced the PCV valve since I am close to 100,000 miles. Shaking this valve it sounded a bit sticky not a very scientific test.

Now the car is back to normal, close to 750-800rpm when warm and rpms drop quickly after revving.

My part numbers were:
1) PCV valve from Volvo part no. 30711779 cost £28.80+VAT
2) Breather pipe with clips attached Volvo part no. 30777588 cost £13.20+VAT
3) Due to the age of the car I also changed the manifold gaskets since they were hard and not very flexible £14.67 inc VAT. They are the same as on a Ford CMAX MPV 1.8i.

Hope this will help someone.
I think this is exactly what I'm experiencing, done the CEM, throttle body and all that stuff, only just found this post about the breather hose, how much of a ball ache is it to do, I'm quite mechanically inclined, but never had to remove a manifold before
Scrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2020, 08:52   #9
Scrannigan

Just to add this is exactly what I had, my issue was the breather hose split, had to remove the entire the front manifold to get to it. second it was replaced high idling stopped
Scrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote