Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPG conversion (V40 T4)

Views : 2064

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2008, 03:22   #1
Baffler
Premier Member

Question LPG conversion (V40 T4)

Ok so I guess I'll start

As you can see I drive a '98 T4 and I would like to know the pros and cons of converting to LPG. Volvo recommend the T4 is ran on 98ron and I can vouch that it is highly sensitive to which fuel is used. Since the Green Party got into power here in Ireland 98ron unleaded is seemingly no longer available so I have no alternative but to use 95ron. As you can imagine, my performance has dropped off.

1] If I go for the LPG conversion will I see a further drop in performance or will it be the same as what the 95ron is producing?
2] How much will it cost to buy and fit a good/proper LPG kit?
3] Is it a waste of money....should I just stay with petrol?

Any advice much appreciated.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 14:03   #2
Terminator
VOC Member

1/ LPG has a lower calorific value than petrol when it burns so expect power to be down about 10% although in practice it is not really noticeable.

2/ A decent fully sequential kit such as BRC fitted by an accredited installer will cost about £2000 and take 3-5 days to fit.

3/ Depends on how much mileage you do. I do about 25000 miles per annum so expect to break even in about 8 months.

LPG tanks tend to be rather small and the only downside as I see it is the increased frequency of filling up.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:29   #3
Baffler
Premier Member

Thank you kindly for your advice.

Another down side to living in Ireland is the availability of LPG. Not all filling stations have this facility and to be honest I don't know anyplace that fit the LPG kits. I only do approximately 12k miles a year. Guess I need to go for diesel instead... D5 here we come

Thanks again.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 14:27   #4
leabby

Smile BRC System

I have just had a BRC system put on my 440. I have two tanks which give a total of 130 litres (less visits to garage). it costs less than £60.00 to fill both tanks

Due to restrictions and gas pressure etc the tanks will hold 103 litres in total. Only recently installed so cannot give any further faadback for this car.

I did have a smart car conversion and can honestly say INCREDIBLE.

If you plan to convert for use in London to avoid congestion charges, be careful. Although you may use an approved fitter, they may not be registered on the powershift register. Go to dvla website for further info.

if you use an approved fitter who are not registered with powershift you will not get exemption approval.

It cost me £2400.00 for the conversion. This included the two tanks. I cover approximately 20-25K per year and expect to recupe the money in 18 months.

Gas only gives a 40% reduction in costs. if you can afford the original outlay I recommend going for it. it is a great feeling when you visit the garage and pay less than half the price of LPG (even less where diesel is concerned).

Hope this helps
leabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 09:12   #5
FRUB
I wish I understood!!

Default Sequencial LPG Conversation

Hi,

I had my V90 converted 8 years ago with a single point induction system which, overall, was a right pain in the arse. I recently bit the bullet and upgraded to a multi point system which is the dogs dangly bits!

Runs really well. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to continue running a 3 ltr beast in these troubled times - obviously the more miles you do the quicker the pay back and mine cuts in to gas when the car's up to temperature so short runs are on petrol.

FRUB
FRUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 09:41   #6
leabby

Default Transfer from Petrol to LPG

my Smart Car would flick over to gas within about half a mile. Whilst my Volvo was being converted I had a courtesy car which took about a mile to change over.

I naturally thought that the bigger the engine the longer it would take.

Anyway I started my Volvo in the morning after clearing away the ice and it changed inside half a mile. Stopped at the shops and restarted, the change was almost immediate.

It the afternoon going home it warmed up again under the half mile.

So yes, if you stop and start repeatedly you will use more petrol. But once the engine is warm it doesnt take long.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 19:09   #7
FRUB
I wish I understood!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRUB View Post
Hi,

....... obviously the more miles you do the quicker the pay back and mine cuts in to gas when the car's up to temperature so short runs are on petrol.

FRUB
I did a routine termostate change yesterday and now it cuts in very quickly, half a mile max! I hadn't realised how long it was taking to heat up. So now it's even better.

FRUB
FRUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 20:54   #8
davebarny57

Smile

Hi All

You can run on lpg right away from start up However if your heavy on the foot you will draw to much lpg through the vaporiser and it will freeze before the hot water runs through it too vapourize and it is advisable to lubricate your petrol injectors to stop them sticking That being i always start all my cars on lpg and only use petrol should i ever run out of petrol without any worrys i have run both single point closed loop and the early and the latter m/p injection systems they all have there benifits if fitted correct and correctly used
davebarny57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 09:53   #9
leabby

Default Great

£60.00, gives me a return of 650 miles, driving at 57MPH

tanks hold 103 litres