Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

!998 R reg V70 tdi Auto for sale

Views : 2961

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2011, 17:01   #11
keithC70

I think I see the one you mean and my first thought is that it's a year older with velour cloth not leather.

Why would anyone put a car on ebay with only four photos when you get twelve free? So does it have the rear load cover? Does it have a cd player? etc.

Also, without knowing the car and it's history it's impossible to say what might or might not need work. It says new cambelt but the main failure point on these engines is the water pump. Was that done at the same time? Was the tensioner replaced?

Also for instance does it need droplinks, top mounts, or even the dreaded delta links? These are all common wear points on cars of this age.

You'd have to see it and drive it to know.

Mine has been sorted! So I think to be fair it's worth more than that one. But you tell me what you think - I'd be interested to know.

Good luck if you decide to go for it!

Keith
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 17:08   #12
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Keith,

(From 1 Keith to another here) you've bin asked several times what you want for it & so Far aint answred that really important question ..

Human Nature says people WILL NOT make you an offer (for fear of offending you) ...

now, YOU KNOW what YOU WANT for it put it down on paper (here) then at least the guys who are interested will have a "Starting point" to work from ...

No Offence intended here Keith, but you just gotta "PUT YER CARDS ON THE TABLE" mate!!

Regards

Another Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 17:27   #13
keithC70

Yes Keith, I don't want to ask too much and deter people from making an offer. I certainly won't be offended by any offer as I understand that everyone wants a bargain - I do myself.

The fact is as I've already said I've spent over £2100 altogether and I don't think anyone's going to offer that much. So I'm going to take a loss and someone else is going to benefit from my change of mind. I spent the money expecting to keep the car for many years but suddenly this D5 came up (bargain price) and I was tempted to change.

I like my cars to be right, start immediately and ready to go anywhere at a moments notice - I drove to London and back on Thursday - and so I spend money to get things right - I must be one of Rufe's best customers not counting garages!

......... but £1350 is a low don't you think?

What do you think would be a fair price?

Cheers,

Keith (Come on you Blues - I'm from Brum!)
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 17:31   #14
mr shifter

Smile

Im from n/w london so come on gooners
mr shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 19:41   #15
keithC70

Now listed on ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT

Someone's going to be lucky and get a bargain!

Good luck and happy bidding!
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:13   #16
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Hi Keith.

You only mention the servicing work that you've done to the car recently. Do you have the paperwork history for the car? ie invoices mot's etc. The car's overall history is more important to me than the latest service.

Also do you have a photo of the engine bay? (not the close up without the engine cover)

Thanks.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Feb 28th, 2011 at 11:18.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 13:34   #17
keithC70

Hello Roy,

It always amazes me, you try to be really thorough and then go and miss something important - thanks for that!

Yes I've got the service book and a wodge of bills etc. The car was serviced by Volvo dealers up to 110k, then by a local garage to 130K. After that there's no stamp in the book. On condition and performance though, I could tell it had been looked after properly and regularly serviced.

I spoke to the owner, a very pleasant gentleman, who assured me that he'd had it serviced every 10k at his local garage. He didn't bother to get the book stamped, so I asked him to send me any paperwork, bills, etc if he came across them and he said he would. I asked him when the cambelt was changed and if they did the water pump and he really didn't know. "I just pay the bills", he said.

So with it being uncertain I decided to do the lot to be on the safe side. When I took it all apart, none of the belts looked worn and none of the tensioners or idlers or even the water pump were badly worn, so I think they had probably been done not too long before.

Sadly, shortly after, his wife wrote to me saying he'd passed away after illness so I never got any more papers.

I've just added a couple of photos of the engine compartment to my album in photoshop as well.

Cheers,

Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to keithC70 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 13:46   #18
keithC70

Well I was pleased to see this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

which ended just now.

£1777 - I hope!
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 15:58   #19
large
no smoke no poke

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithC70 View Post
Well I was pleased to see this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

which ended just now.

£1777 - I hope!
well he got a good price for it but that one has not got as many miles on it as your's and with FSH. Yes we all no there good for 300k+ but high mileage will but a lot of people off but looking at your can and how clean it is and what you have done to it i would say you'll be looking at round about the £1500 mark but at the end of the day it down to whos got the cash at the time
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 17:04   #20
keithC70

Yes I agree.

I've had someone come and see it, test drive it, and then offer £1500, which I accepted.

Then he disappeared, "to get the money", and I haven't heard anything since!

Hence the ebay entry!