Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo PV444 wins 1957 Petit Lemans at Lime Rock!

Views : 85329

Replies : 281

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2019, 23:26   #151
Army
marches on his stomach

You can count the number of teeth on a pinion and crown wheel or try and count the revolutions "in" and "out" to check the differential.

(I'm not 100% up to speed on the history of PV444 but thought that by the time of the 544 only the commercial versions had the 4.5 rear end)

I believe both the three speed and four speed gearboxes have a final drive ratio of 1:1 so if you're talking about top gear speed comparisons the difference in gearbox doesn't have an effect (only for lower gears)

There are many on line tyre and transmission combination calculators out there to help you figure out the potential top speed or a road speed at a particular engine speed if you don't fancy calculating the values yourself (simple maths really)...

...but as mentioned above a flat road and a navigation nanny / clever telephone will be pretty accurate for an estimation of true road speed.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 13:00   #152
csm22

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post

I like the Chris' fridge magnet idea. I also need to do something like that for the key bypass / button under dash starting instructions.
Funny you should mention...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Start Placard.jpg (16.0 KB, 1 views)
csm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 14:29   #153
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm22 View Post
Funny you should mention...
On the other hand, you have made it easier for a car thief!
Seriously, if you need to be reminded there some quite good drugs which slow down the effects of Alzheimer
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 15:08   #154
blueosprey90
Master Member

None of the guys in the local car thief club know how to operate a manual transmission anymore, so even if they can start the car, they won't get too far too fast.

Plus my car is hardly worth a year in the slammer.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 13:02   #155
csm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
On the other hand, you have made it easier for a car thief!
Seriously, if you need to be reminded there some quite good drugs which slow down the effects of Alzheimer
I made this for shipping the car when I moved last year; otherwise, it stays stashed away. Guess I'd use it again if I left it at a shop, assuming that I ever found one that works on ancient Volvos.
csm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csm22 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 16:55   #156
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Arcturus;

My "Alternate Party Starting Advisory" is similar, but just a little more rustic than Chris'...it consists of a piece of yellow tape with the following lettered on:

DO NOT TURN KEY TO MOMENTARY START POSITION!
TO START, TURN IGNITION ON WITH KEY, THEN PRESS START BUTTON!

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 22:32   #157
blueosprey90
Master Member

Took the car for a drive today, maybe 50 miles. Not much traffic. Didn't leave me stranded, so can't complain about anything.
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 20:57   #158
blueosprey90
Master Member

I believe the car has a PV544 boot hinge, which causes the boot to have a hunchback which will leak water.

Found the old hinge in the spares and assessed. Then got out the welder and added some new tips to the working mechanism. Quite happy how it came out since I am a complete newbie with the welder.

Plan to paint and reinstall.

Old Oct 9th, 2019, 13:55   #159
blueosprey90
Master Member

Started on my effort to replace the door cards and window felts.

I had a difficult time removing the door and window crank handles. The door and window handles on the '57 PV444 have 4 holes for pins, but only 2 are used. The 4 holes are at 90 degrees to each other. So I missed this fact, and was I was working on the two unused holes. My effort to pound out the pins wasn't pounding on any pins at all, just the inner shaft. Two nights later, once I saw the additional holes, the pins came right out. Each pin about 1" long. Not original as one was the tip of a nail.

I removed the door card which is in sad shape, disassembled the remainder of the window frame and ordered some parts.

The window frame was pretty easy to disassemble. The door has a separate piece of trim that is screwed on around the entire window area perimeter. The only real trick was that the triangular vent window comes off with this piece. The rubber seals for this window are partly on this surround piece and partly on the front of the chrome vertical piece that separates the vent and main windows. It took a bit to work these apart.

Once this surround trim and vent window is off, just a four screws hold the two window tracks and one screw and a clip hold the window to the crank mechanism. I removed these and lifted out the tracks with a bit of twisting of the longer front track. Then I lifted out the window.

Very dirty, but not much rust inside the door.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 14:44   #160
blueosprey90
Master Member

For the past several days, I’ve been working on the driver’s side door and the boot lid.

Having repaired the original boot hinge by welding a new “tip” into the worn mechanism, I painted it up and finally installed. I spent an entire evening trying to line the boot lid up so that it opened and closed correctly, but I’m close and think I will make some shims so that it fits even better. But for now it is good enough, as my next big task will be to remove and replace the rubber seal and do some rust repair around the edges of the lid and the rear clip.

My main task, however, has been to repair a couple of major defects in the paint on the driver’s door, replace the window felts, maybe replace the rubber seals on the vent window and replace the door card.

Derek referred me to this excellent video on replacing the window felts and the vent seal. I wish I had it before I started.

https://youtu.be/IHzHGMkpRB4

It looked like something heavy had fallen into the door and there was a dent just above and to the left of the door handle. Access from the interior was very limited, and I was only partially successful in pounding the dent out from the inside, using a dolly as my hammer.

And some rust where at the vertical piece that separates the main from the vent window.

I used some body filler to even things out, and then primed and painted the area of the door above the trim line, the door edge and the interior using some rattle can paint. Not perfectly happy with the result, as I will need to do some wet sanding and polishing. But I’ll give myself a B-, as I think it will be an improvement.

The interior of the door had 60 years of dirt, but not very rusty. I gave it a thorough cleaning, treated with some metal etch, then used some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator on the rusty area along the front and the bottom of the door. The piece that holds the window was quite rusty, however. I cleaned this up and painted with POR 15 for future rust protection.

Today’s task is to start making up the door card. I’ve opted to go with APB plastic, which is black, so I’m not sure exactly how I will do the layout. The old door card is quite warped and the lower portion is disintegrated, so its use as a template will be limited. And I’m not sure how I will attach. I think I want to use nylon “pine tree” buttons, but lining up all of the holes will prove burdensome, so perhaps I will simply screw on.

The door “armrest/pull” handle will be a puzzle. The handle seems to point downward at about a 30 degree angle. The supports appear to be aluminium or some other cast metal that does not appear bendable. I’m not sure if the handle is supposed to be that way, or if it is supposed to be supported by a triangular shim to straighten it out.