Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Keyless entry issues - driving me mad

Views : 6794

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 09:14   #11
chrisrixy

Mine is doing exactly the same with the keyless - but no other sensus issues.

I've replaced the remote battery but that seems to result in no change. Can walk around the car and takes a while before it suddenly will open. Trying the handles or pressing the button has no effect until it suddenly works. So far it always opens - but can be concerning if you think the key has died completely.

Once woken up it seems to work OK for the rest of the day...

Also getting the 'no key' message even when key is clearly sitting in the cup holder between the seats.

Both normal keys show this - I've not tried the 'active key' - so maybe will try that.

Due a service soon so will mention it then.
chrisrixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 10:27   #12
familymangreg
Premier Member

Never experienced any issues lie this. My keyless pretty much works faultlessly, and although many may not like the feature, particularly in light of security concerns, I wouldn't personally want another new car without it.

The only time it started 'playing' up a little for me was after about 2.5 - 3 years when the key fob batteries started running low. It would sometimes not unlock immediately after touching the handle and you would have to hold the key a little closer to the car. A quick battery change solved this. I don't use the sport fob very often, other than when we're out walking, kayaking etc, and that is working fine still after 3.5 years.

If I had to guess, mrlossyman is maybe a bigger issue, perhaps a faulty hardware module. Would certainly try the battery reset.

chrisrixy, does yours do it in all locations, or just when the car is parked in a specific location, could it be interference?

:wq
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 10:43   #13
mrlossyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Never experienced any issues lie this. My keyless pretty much works faultlessly, and although many may not like the feature, particularly in light of security concerns, I wouldn't personally want another new car without it.

The only time it started 'playing' up a little for me was after about 2.5 - 3 years when the key fob batteries started running low. It would sometimes not unlock immediately after touching the handle and you would have to hold the key a little closer to the car. A quick battery change solved this. I don't use the sport fob very often, other than when we're out walking, kayaking etc, and that is working fine still after 3.5 years.

If I had to guess, mrlossyman is maybe a bigger issue, perhaps a faulty hardware module. Would certainly try the battery reset.

chrisrixy, does yours do it in all locations, or just when the car is parked in a specific location, could it be interference?

Mine has worked flawlessly for 3 years. This stared a couple of weeks ago and seems to be getting worse. It seems I'm not the only one though! The other example is pretty much exactly the same, the system comes to life but after a minute or two goes to sleep and doesn't work again.

Really hacked off!
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 10:47   #14
mrlossyman

What's the 'active key'?
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 11:07   #15
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlossyman View Post
What's the 'active key'?
I have 3 keys, 2 standard keys with buttons, and a third activity key which has no buttons and only works as a keyless unit, its smaller, waterproof and only lives as long as it battery lasts, as the battery cannot be replaced*.

* some users on this forum have successfully used a blade to open the key, replace the battery and then glued back together. Assume they it can't be guaranteed to be waterproof, but can still be used as a third key if you prefer to carry around the smaller unit.

The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 11:12   #16
James77

My car is getting on for a year old. Twice in the last month the key not recognised sign has popped up but this was after getting in, starting and driving off with no issue. I just asumed the battery was getting a little low.

Maybe its the start of this issue?!
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 11:46   #17
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
https://youtu.be/vLJoKLrhUqE

Video of fault in action.
Definitely not ok!
Does it happen evrywhere, or just in a few locations?
Is it possible to unlock the boot?
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 14:48   #18
mrlossyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Definitely not ok!
Does it happen evrywhere, or just in a few locations?
Is it possible to unlock the boot?
Everywhere...
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 16:09   #19
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Everywhere...
The boot also?
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 17:52   #20
chrisrixy

I tried the 'activity' key and the car unlocked fine - but there again it does sometimes..

When not working it is just as in the video posted. Concerning when the spare key is miles away! Also a concern when driving along and it suddenly decides you have no key.

Although I put a new battery in one of the remotes - I'm going to replace them both with shop new batteries, rather than the 'new' one I had in a drawer (still in packet) that may be years old.

My car is 3 years old next month so maybe just that is how long the batteries last.. If all new batteries don't fix it then it's due a service soon so I'll ask.

When it happens it can be anywhere - although usually after the car has been unused for 24 hours or so..
chrisrixy is offline   Reply With Quote