Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

In car entertainment C30

Views : 1236

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2019, 18:14   #1
lee van queef
Fastest in the North-West

Default In car entertainment C30

Probably going over covered ground here but as much as I love my C30 one thing is bugging me....alot!

I'm an avid music listener especially in the car and I can't stand the radio and really don't like having to lug around my cd collection in my car. I also don't have a really modern phone and do not intend to own one anytime soon so I prefer to use the quite dated method of storing all my music on SD cards or USB sticks. In my Celica I bought a double din unit that supported these methods while also giving me a dvd drive but as you all probably know replacing a C30 head unit is near impossible and at best very expensive!

So any experts out there that can suggest any products that support USB or SD cards? my C30 is a 57 plate R-design SE and comes with an AUX input but no USB, I have been looking at Grom unit's which are cool because they are integrated to be able to utilise the steering wheel functions but looks like one will run me around £250! I 'm not really interested in units that require me to pull a device out every time I want to switch songs or play with the volume or require me to use a phone or Ipod so can anyone accommodate my very specific pain in the ass preferences?
Grom is high in the running at the moment but I'd like a detailed user experience before I shell out the cash.....just how good are they and what are the exact features?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I just can't enjoy driving without a good soundtrack!
lee van queef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 18:26   #2
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee van queef View Post
Probably going over covered ground here but as much as I love my C30 one thing is bugging me....alot!

I'm an avid music listener especially in the car and I can't stand the radio and really don't like having to lug around my cd collection in my car. I also don't have a really modern phone and do not intend to own one anytime soon so I prefer to use the quite dated method of storing all my music on SD cards or USB sticks. In my Celica I bought a double din unit that supported these methods while also giving me a dvd drive but as you all probably know replacing a C30 head unit is near impossible and at best very expensive!

So any experts out there that can suggest any products that support USB or SD cards? my C30 is a 57 plate R-design SE and comes with an AUX input but no USB, I have been looking at Grom unit's which are cool because they are integrated to be able to utilise the steering wheel functions but looks like one will run me around £250! I 'm not really interested in units that require me to pull a device out every time I want to switch songs or play with the volume or require me to use a phone or Ipod so can anyone accommodate my very specific pain in the ass preferences?
Grom is high in the running at the moment but I'd like a detailed user experience before I shell out the cash.....just how good are they and what are the exact features?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I just can't enjoy driving without a good soundtrack!
I was looking at grom. put off by the high cost. Does seem a well integrated system though.

If you can store your music on your phone, just have a cradle on your dash and control the songs from your phone...

Plug one of these into your aux for wireless bluetooth sound. volume can still be controlled from steering wheel, track select from phone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H5C2B..._bNERDbKEKA9R9

otherwise Grom is only option or the £600 head unit change

just seen you dont like 'modern phones'... well I'd get a cheap android one (under £100) and have it as a dedicated music player and leave in car.
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 07:53   #3
Zack99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee van queef View Post

Have a look at something like this (not sure where you might find it locally)

https://www.takealot.com/usb-bluetoo...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I did not want to have something that I need to charge constantly, so I have this thing plugged in at the back 12v supply into a car charger with the aux cable running through the gap in the center console lid (if that makes any sense). This way it's a pretty clean setup, but you still have to control the music from your phone.
Zack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 10:59   #4
StatusRed
Premier Member

I have a GROM unit in my C70 - thought they don't work properly for the P1 platform though? Can't fault the C70s GROM, very easy to install and works perfectly, aux and Bluetooth.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 11:15   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

I too feel the same, I dont like shuffling through CD's so never use the CD player, cannot stand the radio either.

I have a USB and AUX but never bother with the USB either cause I tire of cliking through all the tracks.

I found a great setup that works for me using the AUX. I have a aux bluetooth but also purchase a very cheap tablet 2nd hand.

I attached the tablet using magnetic mounts and 2 soft contact points behind it to silence any vibration noise. The great this is I can scroll through and choose the music I want to play etc but I also tether from my phone to the tablet so I run amazon prime music so I tell "Alexa" what to play while I am driving which is quite good. Using tether I also have access to google maps which helps with traffic.

Here is a link to my setup in the car, could be tidier and I will do that when I get the car back but it works well for me.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...271945&page=19

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 20:23   #6
FunkyMelon
Master Member

I'm tempted to 3D model and print a new center console for these cars that'll allow me to put a screen above the current infotainment screen and keep it looking OEM.

Not sure whether to use a Raspberry Pi with an Android ROM loaded on and a GPS module wired to it for nav tucked behind in the dash or whether to embed a small tablet into it.

Either way, would look very tidy and hopefully be an OEM look.

Just need to find some time to do it
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 09:58   #7
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
I'm tempted to 3D model and print a new center console for these cars that'll allow me to put a screen above the current infotainment screen and keep it looking OEM.

Not sure whether to use a Raspberry Pi with an Android ROM loaded on and a GPS module wired to it for nav tucked behind in the dash or whether to embed a small tablet into it.

Either way, would look very tidy and hopefully be an OEM look.

Just need to find some time to do it
I don't see how there would be room for that? Unless you got rid of the CD player and had a very narrow screen?

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 12:12   #8
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
I don't see how there would be room for that? Unless you got rid of the CD player and had a very narrow screen?
It won't sit flush but you could redesign the facia to make it look more OEM.

It'll likely end up looking like the Mercs with their pop on tablet infotainment system.

We'll see....
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 14:33   #9
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
It won't sit flush but you could redesign the facia to make it look more OEM.

It'll likely end up looking like the Mercs with their pop on tablet infotainment system.

We'll see....
You need to get a nice catback exhaust mate, you'l completly forget about "in car entertainment" then

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 16:44   #10
srcholmes

Another alternative is a Bluetooth FM transmitter. There are loads on Amazon for around £15. Search for 'bluetooth fm'.
They plug into your 12v socket for power.
Almost all of them have a slot for a USB or SD card and they work by transmitting the sound like a radio station.
You set a frequency on the device, and then tune your Volvo radio into that frequency. You need to find some 'space' in between radio stations on the radio otherwise there is a bit of interference (like on a weak radio station signal).
Mine works fine (better out in the country where there are less radio stations). It's not 100% perfect, but you get to control volume from the steering wheel and for £15 you cannot complain. Worth a punt to see if it's good enough for you at £15.
srcholmes is offline   Reply With Quote