Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 Geartronic - Hesitation/delay in pulling away...

Views : 45158

Replies : 185

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 20:49   #41
cassandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbo View Post
I've just purchased a 54 plate (MY 2005) XC90 D5 geartronic.

Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the 185bhp model and the comments on the forum about delay, etc when taking off were a concern.

I test drove 3 D5's and didn't find any hesitation/lag with any of them. The one I bought, as soon as you touch the pedal it starts to move. I must admit it's not a greyhound out of the blocks, but it doesn't feel unsafe and I'm happy with it. Compared to my petrol V70, it's better because I felt I had to push the pedal harder to get the desired response.

Whether it's me or my driving style (I tend not to push it too hard unless I have to), I don't know whether my comments just confuse things further.

Why are some cars like it and others aren't, or will mine show these characteristics in time?

Cheers,

Finbo
have a 55 --185 bhp and find no problem with pulling away. Had a word with a mechanic friend of mine, he said it could be that the gearbox might be low on oil? Therefore it might need topping up.
cassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 22:31   #42
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Well the hesitation in mine is ATROCIOUS with the caravan on the back. Especially with hillstarts. Started to pull off on a hill on the ring road to day and it moved 3 or 4 feet then stopped then started again when I gave her more gas but VERY slowly. Been like that all week with the 'van on at junctions!!! Eventually it goes but it takes its time and then eventually it launches fit to break the tow bar off!!
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 16:03   #43
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Due now to the lack of any helpful attitude toward this problem in my car I today contacted trading standards who, when I explained the various problems I have had with my xc including the hesitation, have expressed an interest in this as it is classed as a dangerous fault and would be quite happy to hear from anybody else with this problem to see how widespread it is with a view to contacting Volvo themselves about it. You can get the number for your local trading standards from the directgov website.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 16:14   #44
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
Back to the original topic....

This thread is not about "lack of power" in any way, shape or form - it is specifically to bring together owners of XC90's - whatever the year/model, that consider the "Acceleration delay from standstill" to be a problem or issue...

Mike

PS Will be making arrangements for mine to go to Rybrook shortly, just waiting for confirmation from Volvo UK that they will be providing a c/car - AND VOSA have now expressed and interest.. So the more names & weight that can be added to the aissue, the better IMO..
Any chance of an update Mike?

Roy
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 20:20   #45
redarmy

have recieved a list of work carried out on my xc d5 exec auto when the acceleration went walkabout causing me a great deal of concern almost a month has passed and everything seems fine now. this is what the dealers carried out, replacement of broken link and swirl chamber flaps,replacement of faulty throttle module,upgrade s28074 of engine managment system (ecm), and the electronic throttle module intake manifold remove-install/replace parts list as follows:- ecm diesel,gasket,throttle,link,fuel pipes x 2,wahers x 5, throttle housing and gasket.
redarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redarmy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 21:37   #46
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Any chance of an update Mike?

Roy
Anybody heard from Mike yet to see where he is with Volvo on this??
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 21:38   #47
Chris Parish
Large Member

I recently purchased an S80 D5 2002 which has done 131,000 miles (pristine condition) which seems to have the same throttle delay problem described in this thread. It is manual transmission and the delay can be seen just the same in the lift off, as the revs blip up first before dropping. Does the XC90 problem show like this? Does the car continue on power after you don't want it to?

Currently: S60 T S 2001 and S80 D5 2002
Previously: 245 and V70 T5
Chris Parish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 02:12   #48
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Mine will sometimes move 3 or 4 feet then stop until you apply more throttle then it goes again but slowly until you feed in more throttle then in leaps forward!!!! Waiting for this behaviour to strip the bevel gear for the awd next.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 17:00   #49
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I'd really like to say I am surprised, but this is similar to the response I received in 2004 - see my post on page 1 of this thread.
I too hope GSM has more success, but don't hold your breath!

Now, had this not been a Ford-owned company the response might have been different - and before anyone starts on about how much Ford's money has been useful/essential for Volvo, which has been covered in other threads, this is about safety and in terms of safety I merely ask readers to Google Ford together with "Pinto".

As I have suggested previously, had multiple deaths been attributed to this delay or "feature" then Ford-Volvo might have done something about it. The fact that most Volvo drivers are sensible and cautious has probably saved much death and injury, but by so doing has weakened our claim to this being a serious and dangerous design defect.

Anyone fancy being a martyr for the cause
I VERY nearly became that martyr today. Went to pull out of the top of the road here today, the car started to move then stopped with a BUS of all things bearing down on me!!!! Had no option but to hit the throttle to the floor, cross my fingers and PRAY!! I made it but only cos the bus driver braked shaprly and gave me that extra second to get out of the way!!! I dread to think of the outcome if it had been any closer!!! I even more dread the thought of it happening with my 12 yr old in the car................
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 13:24   #50
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Default Everybody with this problem should read!!!!!!!

I've now called Vehicle & operator Services Agency (VOSA) this morning in regard to this and a couple of other faults on my XC90 that I consider dangerous. I spoke to a very helpful gentleman there who is getting an engineer to call me back this afternoonas in his opinion the car shouldn't be on the road. He also told me if there are any others out there with similar problems then they should get in touch with the Vehicle Safety Branch on 0117 954 3200 and they will keep a note of the amount of calls they get.

So EVERYBODY GET YOUR FINGERS IN THE DIAL AND START CONTACTING VOSA!!!!