Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) & Other Things!

Views : 444

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2020, 08:44   #1
crcowley

Default Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) & Other Things!

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me understand my Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and in particular help with the engine details? I have a 240 GL so the number goes YV1 (Car), 244 (Four Cylinder 4 Door), 24 (Engine B19E), 3 (Gearbox M47), J (made in 1988), 1 (Made in Torslanda, Sweden) then the six digit chassis number. That is how I understand it!

My questions, however, are:

1) Regarding the engine, the log book says it is 1986cc; the owners manual has it written down as a B200E , which is also printed on the timing belt cover (but is this the same as a B19E??) It has the K-Jet aluminium box attached to the engine, but I do not know for certainty what size it is (I am no mechanic, but keen to learn about these things - just confused with the engine codes quoted on the VIN number, and the timing belt cover!).

2) Can someone tell me what an M47 gearbox is??

3) There is a further plate in front of the radiator next to the bonnet latch hole with a six digit number.....this does not correspond with the chassis number. Can anyone tell me what that is?? Is it the engine number??

4) On the VIN plate to the right of the VIN number itself is "15" on its own.....any ideas?

5) There appear to be three weights mentioned on the plate - 1780 kg (which I am assuming is combined max load) 830 kg (front max load) & 970 (back max load).....is this correct??

6) Paint code is 173-2......definitely red, but what is the -2 bit??

7) One more code on the right side of the plate which is 4133...not a clue what that means!!!

Many thanks for any help out there!!! I am just trying to understand a bit more about this old girl!

Best regards,

Charles.
crcowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2020, 13:11   #2
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Hi Charles

I started typing it all out and then realised that if you were to look it up on Wikipedia you will get your answer quicker I suspect!

It's a fuel-injected 2 litre engine - but look at W'ped and it will tell you more

I think that B19 is an error and B200 is correct for the age of your car, but the bottom line is that it is a 2 litre red block with single OHC

The engine number, which will also tell you the cam-type, is stamped on the cylinder head, LH side somewhere around #1 or #2 spark plug. The label on the cambelt cover is I am not sure what...someone else can answer that

An M47 'box is a 5-speed box which replaced the M46 + o/d box - email me separately and I'll tell you some bits about that which can really enhance how the box operates

Glad you are still plugging away at it - itching to see her back up and running

Nick
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2020, 16:34   #3
crcowley

That's brilliant Nick - thanks for picking up on my post - again!!! I haven't got to it recently, but have booked in a day during the late May Bank Holiday! I will investigate the info you have told me here this week. I wonder whether the 6-digit number in front of the radiator is also an engine number??Just a bit interested in the stats, but I probably need to be more interested in the rust behind the front right jack point! May need to do a temp on it to stop it getting worse before a visit in time to your friends over in Worcester Park.

Best regards,

Charles.
crcowley is offline   Reply With Quote