Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Unnecessary 850 Electrical Retro-Fit Modifications...

Views : 815

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2010, 15:05   #1
PowerOfTheBlues
Brother in arms...

Post Unnecessary 850 Electrical Retro-Fit Modifications...

Hello all,

While sorting the problems that actually need addressing, I was thinking of some invisible but very usual (and feasible) modifications I’d like on my 855.

The first of which is automatic windows, up and down, and on both sides. Currently I only have auto down on the driver’s side. I find it annoying to have to keep two fingers on both N/S and O/S switches to put the windows back up again. Surely this is an easy mod? Only assumes the best bet would be a breakers for the push to make switches? Any electricians’ advice gratefully received.

The second is a little harder, but something I’d find very useful (and cool). This would be auto retracting wing mirrors. Can anyone think of a way to retro-fit a systems that ca retract (and unfold) the mirrors at the press of a button. Toyota had it in the early 90s on the MR2, and a few cars prior. I’d find it a blessing in supermarket car parks and down my lanes in Devon when passing other cars.

As I say, the latter would be harder, but surely possible?

Any ideas?

- Richard
PowerOfTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 15:09   #2
t5_andy
Trader

IIRC vadis mentions electrically retractable mirrors on the s70, maybe someone somewhere has some?

www.rollupandshine.com

Enter VOC5 at the checkout for 5% discount on everything.
t5_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to t5_andy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 15:51   #3
MKC70

The 1st gen C70 also had the mirrors available in select markets. Option is shown in the wire diagrams. NA was not one of them. Windows are easier to accomplish. If you use after market alarm window modules you can get one touch up and down. They will also be safer than just a timed relay in that they have current sensing ability to know when a window has hit an obstruction or closed position. Depending on the brand you use will determine how many modules you will need to buy.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 15:58   #4
PowerOfTheBlues
Brother in arms...

Could you explain the 'after market alarm window modules' bit further? I have the standard module in the centre console. Surlely the switches can be prised out and replaced individually?

- Richard
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 16:01   #5
MKC70

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerOfTheBlues View Post
Could you explain the 'after market alarm window modules' bit further? I have the standard module in the centre console. Surlely the switches can be prised out and replaced individually?

- Richard
Would only apply if the switches you replaced had circuitry with them to make the auto function work, otherwise they are just switches no different than what you already have.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 16:11   #6
FaKaWi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerOfTheBlues View Post

- Richard
It's not just a case of changing the switch in order to achieve one-touch closure, you also need the safety sensors to stop the window closing if something is trapped. AFAIK, none of the P1 x70 or 850 models had this option, hence the need to look at using an aftermarket closure alarm system.
FaKaWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 16:21   #7
PowerOfTheBlues
Brother in arms...

Why would it need this system for each button? Surely they can piggyback the exsiting system? Or is it different for auto down only?

- Rich

Tags
electrics, retrofit, window switch, wing mirror