Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine power loss

Views : 3530

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2012, 17:48   #1
catty64

Default Engine power loss

Hi All, my volvo c70 t5 (2002) seems to have lost power. We have just done a 100 mile trip where everything was fine. Then this afternoon after a short trip its lost power/ump. It is going through the rev range, but there is no pull on excelleration. Very down on power. Heard a loud hiss at 4000 revs, like a high power hose going and then no power. Whats wrong with it. Grateful for any help as not owned a Volvo before. Cheers. Steve
catty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 21:02   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Oh dear - that doesn't sound too good.

Any warning lights show up at all? Any obvious leaks anywhere?

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 21:08   #3
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Most likely a turbo boost hose, if you've heard a loud hissing like air escaping at the point the engine will be well into full boost.

Check none of the hoses have blown off and none of them have split.
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesV70R For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 14:50   #4
catty64

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Oh dear - that doesn't sound too good.

Any warning lights show up at all? Any obvious leaks anywhere?

Cheers

Jack
onlt ets light goes out now and then.engine idles up and down.where is the boost pipe on turbo.lots of pipes.thanks
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 14:52   #5
catty64

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villan View Post
Most likely a turbo boost hose, if you've heard a loud hissing like air escaping at the point the engine will be well into full boost.

Check none of the hoses have blown off and none of them have split.
wheres is it.small or big main pipe that comes off charger to air box,or goes over engine to front of car.thanks.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 15:46   #6
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Its all of those ..

It goes from the bottom of the airbox down the back of the engine to the turbo where there is a short piece of flexible hose joining it to the turbo.

The, from the top of the turbo, over the engine, and down the front of it to the bottom of the radiator packs - theres a big peice of hose half way down between 2 solid peices, and theres an angled piece of pipe at the bottom of the radiators.
Then, it comes out of the top of the radiators as a piece of angled hose, into a solid pipe that goes under the manifold.

They're large, reasonably obvious pipes as soon as you open the bonnet.
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 18:20   #7
MetB4

Smile

Did you find the broken hose?

MB4

MetB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 17:56   #8
KevinSpencer

Default Hi power loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty64 View Post
Hi All, my volvo c70 t5 (2002) seems to have lost power. We have just done a 100 mile trip where everything was fine. Then this afternoon after a short trip its lost power/ump. It is going through the rev range, but there is no pull on excelleration. Very down on power. Heard a loud hiss at 4000 revs, like a high power hose going and then no power. Whats wrong with it. Grateful for any help as not owned a Volvo before. Cheers. Steve
Hi their we was driving a long when we started to loss power! On the dash it came up power restricted? I went through all the gears but had to stop the car and restart it and all was ok? Any help. Many thanks
KevinSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 09:30   #9
Jp003
JP

Hi

Yes that definately sounds like your turbo pipes are in question. I has exactly the same thing happen to me. I took the car for an MOT and when i booted it down the dual carridge way after i picked her up it sounded like someone was sparying under the hood with a hose pipe. Im not saying it will be the same pipe as mine but it was the large pipe coming of the intercooler. They must have pulled it off when doing the MOT. Stupid garage said there was no way they had done anything to my car, amazing coincidence dont you think!

Check all the pipes. If it doesnt sound like a hose pipe spraying under the hood at 4000 rpm then you may just have a small split somewhere, check all the pipes running from the turbo and intercooler.

Intercooler on my C70 is at the front on the bottom of the car, you will probably have to get under the car to see it properly, its a bit tight!

Hope this helps

JP
Jp003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c70, c70 t5, engine, loss, power