Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Retrofit High Performance Audio

Views : 16600

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 18:24   #1
bondbill2k2

Question Retrofit High Performance Audio

Im looking to upgrade my sound system in my 2011 C30. My previous 2007 model had the lovely High performance system with an AUX in where my newer R Design 2011 has the regular sound system no AUX and only bluetooth for phone calls which makes it utter useless plus it sounds pretty crap!

Is it possible to retrofit the high performance system and what is involved?
I expect:
  • High performance Amp
  • 1x Sub
  • 8x Speakers
  • High performance stero unit
  • Dealer to enable software (read people on here about XC90's only costing 1 hours labour for the setup)
  • Waterfall screen possibly remain the same, just software as mentioned above to update it?

Oh and I mean high performance...not the dynaudio stuff that costs ££££
bondbill2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 20:21   #2
niggly

Hi BondBill, I have a 2011 C30 with the High Performance audio system. I'm no audiofile but I must say the sound it produces is outstanding. So it has the USB in the centre armrest cubby which is mostly what I use to play music.
So I can understand that you miss it.
Now, I have the original brochure from the sale of the car in 2011. Here's what it says about the High Performance system. It has:
4 x 40W amp
8 x speakers - from diagram looks like 4 x tweeters and 4 x mid, arranged front and back
No mention of a woofer/bass speaker seperate
Steering controls an option
"USB/iPod input" (exact wording) standard (in one of the columns)

BUT in the next column it has "USB/iPod Music Interface" (again exact wording). In the column for the Performance system it is marked as an "accessory" NOT as an option. The symbols are - Option an empty circle and accessory is a black triangle/pyramind.
Underneath the table it says "Accessory (can be fitted after you have purchased your car).
So you might at least be able to get at least that fitted by a stealer albeit it may be an arm and a leg?

The Performance system has 4 x 20W amp and 6 x speakers, 2 x tweeters (only at front)and 4 x mid.
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 20:30   #3
paddyred
Master Member

As far as I am aware you will need a Brand-new audio unit. Once the units are coded to the vehicle they cannot be re-coded. I upgraded my audio system with two under-seat subwoofers. Speaker feeds run into a speaker level to RCA the and then to the subwoofers. There's no reason that you cant add another amplifier then add the speakers that you want. Would be much cheaper and easier than a retrofit. Doesn't sort out the USB issue but Volvo do sell the aftermarket kit then its just getting it activated by them. Would be cheaper than a new head unit, speakers etc and you would need to by the aftermarket USB kit anyway.
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 20:36   #4
niggly

Have a look at this. C30 Accessories Tech & Audio.
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...Sections/audio
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 20:40   #5
Vfifty

I concur with above, having High Performance Sound with 6 cd stack( in my case), sound is incredible. I thought I had decent sound system in my prev. car until bought current V50.Pity I don't have Bluetooth.
Vfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 21:02   #6
niggly

Well here's a High Performance amp on eBay. Starter for 10?
Facelift Volvo V50 C30 S40 High Performance Sound Amplifier £74.98
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Facelift-V...3D301694322461
Old Jan 24th, 2017, 01:03   #7
BOBAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
Im looking to upgrade my sound system in my 2011 C30..............

High performance Amp
Sub
8x Speakers
High performance stero unit
The biggest bang for your buck, in my opinion, would be to add a pair of quality speakers up front, coupled to a dedicated audio 5-channel amp (e.g. a Hertz) a sub. and sound-deadening material (I use SkinZ) inside the front doors.

The High Performance Audio system that you mentioned only sounds good to people who have never heard a real high-quality sound system.

It needn't cost the earth either as even budget-level dedicated equipment will sound better than the systems sold by Volvo......

Note: You don't need 8 speakers, you only need a pair of good quality tweeters and mids up front. (e.g. Audison Prima).

Adding rear speakers only serves to destroy the sound stage for the driver and front passenger.

Retain the standard head unit. This avoids hassle with the CANBUS system and allows you to retain the waterfall unit...... and, as a bonus, no re-coding is necessary

A sub. is a must no matter what your taste in music is....... I listen to mainly jazz, blues and classical music and would never be without a decent sub.

You can spend a small fortune getting the sound quality you want (I did !) but it is perfectly possible to spend not very much at all provided you choose your equipment wisely, and believe me, a 4 x 40w amplifier a la the Volvo High Performance unit is not spending it wisely !

Have a read of this link and see if it helps (Choose the "Joy" option as this contains budget equipment):

http://www.fourmasterscaraudio.co.uk/your-car/general/

P.S. If you are ever in the area you would be welcome to have a listen to the sound system in my C30 to see just how good it is possible to make a Volvo sound provided you choose the right equipment (and throw enough ££££ at it.)

C30 1,6d DRIVe: 100w Rockford Fosgate amp driving Rockford Audiophile mids & tweeters & 200w Rockford amp driving 12" DiamondAudio sub; Phoenix Gold graphic eq; Audio Control iPod connect; RF Power Cap; SkinZ sound-deadening in doors; Alpine EZi-DAB

Last edited by BOBAD; Jan 24th, 2017 at 01:38.
BOBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 17:49   #8
bondbill2k2

My main problem is i'm stuck with the stupid decision Volvo made that if you have the bluetooth option they removed any form of external input (USB and AUX) despite all facelift C30's coming with AUX standard according to their brochures in favour of bluetooth which doesn't even have audio streaming making it impossible to play anything else!

I imagine this is something to do with a lack of free fibre channels so they needed to use those lines for this function, i'd happily drop both in favour of a simple AUX input.

I think the options on thier website cant be used if you have the bluetooth fitted. The FM transmitters are just awful
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 19:10   #9
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

There is a solution directly from Sweden. Pretty epic but it WILL cost nearly 600 euros as is bespoke for the S40/V50/C30/C70.

A bespoke integrated unit from Bluepower Sweden with Bluetooth, Aux, USB Satnav etc

http://www.bluepower.se/en/product/a...dunit-arm.html

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by T5R92011; Jan 25th, 2017 at 19:12.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 19:15   #10
bondbill2k2

Thanks for the suggestion T5R92011 I did look into them along with some youtube videos of them in use but I think they look horrible and cheap, the interface looks slow and their horribly overpriced. For less you could get a high spec good branded headunit with Airplay and every feature under the sun.

Tags
audio, high performance, retrofit