Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo electrics FINALLY sorted

Views : 726

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2020, 14:26   #1
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Default Volvo electrics FINALLY sorted

Dear Volvo forum friends

You must check this out

https://www.skandix.de/en/news/volvo...rn-fuses/1946/

Finally, someone has resolved the issue of the dreaded fuse 4 and 6 with a tidy modern solution. Not the cheapest, but potentially a real boon

What a shame I have sold the car...
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 15:07   #2
CosmicBike

someone on one of the 240 facebook groups has been importing these from the USA for a few months now, at about £150 a go, so the Skandix price is very good.
I had an eye on some fuseboxes from eBay which may have fitted with some wiring mods, no need now, though fuse 4 has already been disconnected and sits on crimps with a modern blade fuse.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2020, 16:40   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thank you Nick.

The issue has been sorted for some time by a method documented in the forum.

However. If the Skandix item really does the job then it is neat. And that is good.

One thing to establish is whether it is a truly direct replacement for the original. In particular are the same terminals connected to each other as in the Volvo item. Does anyone know please? One could bridge with wire and connectors ...

&c.

P.S. ... that item is temptation.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; May 21st, 2020 at 16:54.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 08:24   #4
CosmicBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Thank you Nick.

The issue has been sorted for some time by a method documented in the forum.

Do you have a link to that? I tried searching. Ta
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:36   #5
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
Do you have a link to that? I tried searching. Ta
This thread about the fuel pump relay for Volvo 240 LH2.4 engines has a lot about fitting inline blade fuses instead of the two troublesome ceramic fuses.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...lay+blade+fuse

I hope that helps.

I have done the mod recommended in that thread. I am tempted to buy the Skandix kit now. I'm in hope to hear some reports re the Skandix kit.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:57   #6
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
.... fuse 4 has already been disconnected and sits on crimps with a modern blade fuse.
Yes. That is basically the known fix, to be done to both the troublesome fuses,

Old May 22nd, 2020, 13:46   #7
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Cosmic Bike

As Stephen says, if you want to retain the original fuseboard, then the fix in the link is the way to go. I did it to my 240 and the improvement was transformational. Seriously! Long story, but my hunch is that if the fuses are making a poor contact, you don't get the full voltage/amperage to the ECU (on a Bosch EFI engine). By putting the blade fuses in, my car performed better and more consistently

If I still had my 240, I would be looking seriously at the Skandix replacement - let's assume it's a direct replacement (we need to check that) in which case, it would be a great job to do with a few cups of tea and some nice weather - and time! Just what we have at the moment. The new fuseboard shud operate more consistently/reliably and perhaps more sinisterly, by having better electrical contact you are removing a possible fire source on these cars (not aware that it was a problem, but the OEM fuseboard seems to hold the fuses less well as time passes)

In my head, replacing the whole board (assuming it is like for like) will take no longer than doing the blade fuse trick on the original board. There is a cost difference, but then you are buying an upgrade in effect

Interested to see where this goes. Nick
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 14:09   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Part of the problem is surely the positioning of the fuseboard, in an area notoriously prone to damp, and subject to water leakage from an aging windscreen seal, blockage of drains, and water ingress from splash in deep puddles.

As well as attending to the rather poor original fuseboard, might it also be a good idea to obtain or design a suitable water-proof box with sealed cover?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 17:24   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Lewin View Post
Cosmic Bike

As Stephen says, if you want to retain the original fuseboard, then the fix in the link is the way to go. I did it to my 240 and the improvement was transformational. Seriously! Long story, but my hunch is that if the fuses are making a poor contact, you don't get the full voltage/amperage to the ECU (on a Bosch EFI engine). By putting the blade fuses in, my car performed better and more consistently

If I still had my 240, I would be looking seriously at the Skandix replacement - let's assume it's a direct replacement (we need to check that) in which case, it would be a great job to do with a few cups of tea and some nice weather - and time! Just what we have at the moment. The new fuseboard shud operate more consistently/reliably and perhaps more sinisterly, by having better electrical contact you are removing a possible fire source on these cars (not aware that it was a problem, but the OEM fuseboard seems to hold the fuses less well as time passes)

In my head, replacing the whole board (assuming it is like for like) will take no longer than doing the blade fuse trick on the original board. There is a cost difference, but then you are buying an upgrade in effect

Interested to see where this goes. Nick

As Stephen would say. If one simply wants a fix, the link explains how to do it.

As Nick says. The link method worked for him.

Difficult to know how time &c. would compare. Does any job go exactly as the plan hopes?

I am still tempted by the Skandix. Who would like to buy one, do it and write it up, please???

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; May 22nd, 2020 at 17:26.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 17:28   #10
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
Part of the problem is surely the positioning of the fuseboard, in an area notoriously prone to damp, and subject to water leakage from an aging windscreen seal, blockage of drains, and water ingress from splash in deep puddles.

As well as attending to the rather poor original fuseboard, might it also be a good idea to obtain or design a suitable water-proof box with sealed cover?

Now that would be interesting ......