Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Single or twin axle caravan? XC90

Views : 2356

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 14:13   #1
Friendly

Default Single or twin axle caravan? XC90

I am looking to buy a caravan which will be pulled by my 2013 XC90.

I am trying to decide on what layout caravan I want and if I should go for single or twin axle.

On some of the caravanning websites it mentions that one of the benefits of a twin is that they are more stable.

My question - as I will be using a XC90 as the tow vehicle, for towing purposes should I pick a twin axle or does it not matter. I expect the approximate maximum weights would be about 1600kg for single axle or 1800kg for twin.

Any comments from people who tow large caravans with their XC90 would be appreciated.
Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 16:46   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

In 2009 I bought a new Eldiss Odyssey 544 single axle and towed it with a 2006 S60 D5 185 manual. It was well over the 85% recommendation but nonetheless it managed it comfortably and safely.

In 2016 I started towing this van with an XC70 Geartronic 163 bhp and the combination definitely felt safer due to the increased weight of the towing vehicle.

At the beginning of this year I started towing this same van with a 2007 XC90 D5 185 Geartronic and the difference in stability is very significant due to the size and weight of the towing vehicle.

A twin axle will undoubtedly be more stable than a single BUT with an XC90 towing it should be fine with either so I don't think that you have anything to worry about.

Just be aware of what noseweight your car can handle and also where you are with the combined weights.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 17:22   #3
pagan8c
Master Member

I agree with S60 having had V70,XC70 and now XC90 Momentum (all D5) that towing any normal weight caravan is a doddle. I have had both twin and single axle vans and to tell the truth the modern caravans tow well with either set up. The twin axle I found easier to reverse because it tends to turn slower with less degree than the single axle but the twin axle tends to pitch slightly more forward to aft than the single. My last twin axle allowed more weight to be added for stuff as the axles were rated higher than the single axle . The other good thing for a single is usually less weight for length and only needing 1 set of motor movers . But the twin axle countered with the fact that if a tyre got punctured you could still keep going to get to a place of safety. Personal choice really depending on which interior layout suits.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 20:20   #4
Friendly

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like either option should be fine then. I have never towed a caravan so appreciate your comments.

We are a family of four. Children are currently 20 months and 4 months. I am favouring the layouts where the children can sleep at the back and that section partitioned off.

There seem to be 2 options. Either a seating area that turns in to large bed or 2 small beds, or ones with side rear bunks and a 2 seater dining area opposite. I think the latter looks the best option. Both layouts seem available with either single or twin axle.

I'll keep a look out for the one now.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 20:41   #5
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly View Post
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like either option should be fine then. I have never towed a caravan so appreciate your comments.

We are a family of four. Children are currently 20 months and 4 months. I am favouring the layouts where the children can sleep at the back and that section partitioned off.

There seem to be 2 options. Either a seating area that turns in to large bed or 2 small beds, or ones with side rear bunks and a 2 seater dining area opposite. I think the latter looks the best option. Both layouts seem available with either single or twin axle.

I am no expert with caravans but I’m laymans terms I can’t really see many vehicles that would offer the weight ratio and stability and power combination of an xc90 and would have thought you would be safe with either.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 21:54   #6
pagan8c
Master Member

Quote:

I would think the 2 bunk bed one would suit you as they grow they would have there own bed each and also the seating area opposite is handy as a play area when weather is bad. If you havn't towed before have you got the b+e licence to tow over 3500kgs ( for car and Caravan gross weight) because the twin axle do weigh more and eat into your allowance.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 22:23   #7
Friendly

That is why I prefer that option.

I do have the B+E licence so don't need to worry about weight of the caravan. I doubt it would be possible to tow any caravan with a XC90 and stay under the 3500kg. I do find it odd how they seem to think it is not acceptable to tow a light caravan with a large car, but you can with a focus.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 22:25   #8
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

I change my caravan this year. I had a single axle 4 berth at approx 1400kgs laden and 7mtrs long. Beautiful to pull, very very stable.

I now have a caravan weighing 1700kg+ and 8mtrs long. I have noticed the extra weight. The XC90 has no problems pulling it, but I do notice the extra weight. It still pulls at 65, 70, 75 if I want it to - but Im not stupid. 60-65 all day long and its stable.

Twin axles are are stable obviously, but harder to manoeuvre without a motor mover... and 2 of them is the thick end of £2000. I have a mover on my single axle (because of its weight and length).... cracking.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 22:25   #9
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Quote:
That is why I prefer that option.

I do have the B+E licence so don't need to worry about weight of the caravan. I doubt it would be possible to tow any caravan with a XC90 and stay under the 3500kg. I do find it odd how they seem to think it is not acceptable to tow a light caravan with a large car, but you can with a focus.
Be careful when looking at twin bunks... some have a weight limit on who can sleep on them...
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 22:29   #10
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Quote:

At your children's age, I would just buy a lightweight 4 berth (rear bed at the back and front sofa covering to a large double too). Around 1400 max weight. Putting a 4yr old in a top bunk isn't something id fancy, or vice versa the younger one. 2 large beds and plan to trade up when they're older is a better idea.