Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

745 wants in Northants

Views : 13072

Replies : 87

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 16:49   #21
RAW
VOC Member

i may start a new thread some time soon, after these damned exams! untill then, ill continue to use this one, as i will still need to find parts.

Old Blue, my problem i working out how to remove the blue flexible circuit board from the back of the speedo, as i cant tell where and how they are attached to each other. do i need to remove the whole circuit board, ie: detatch it from the other guages too? and how does it attach to the contacts on the backs of the guages?

thanks for the help, i think i know what you mean soo far. next time im at moms and have a bit of time to spare, i will have a look. got to get the caravan cleaned this weekend though, so i dont think ill have time.

thanks all,

Richard
RAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 19:23   #22
RAW
VOC Member

Ok all, EXAMS OVER, just the long wait till results just after my 16th in August! this week i have been doing work experience at the Village Garage in upper Boddington, and have enjoyed it, and learned a lot (eg, dont undo hub bolkts with a ratchet between them and the anti roll bar drop link, to the point where both the bolt and the ratchet become stuck! Oops).

whilst there i have been working with an ex ring of bell mechanic, who just happens to have a set of reasnably good condition alloys, for a rwd volvo, that i can have. so ill bring those home tomorow.

Other progress includes the fitting of my new CR-906 radio head unit today (thanks auchlinn, your payment finally went in the post yesterday) and hopefully the CD changer i had soon also. Unfortunatly i have misplaced the casette to the CD unit, and could also do with some centre caps for the new alloys, which ill place pics of soon.

More news to come soon.

Richard
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 20:40   #23
john h
VOC Member

Useful work experience! What type of wheels are they?

Best of luck with the exam results - I hope you get what you want.

Looking forward to more updates

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 21:32   #24
RAW
VOC Member

i dont actually know what type of wheels they are, but i will try to find out. they look a bit like the wheel trims that are on the car at the moment, and are, judging by the one that i have seen, in good condition, except for having only 2 centre caps, and the volvo logo on those has faded. i will have to look into what i can do, but am glad that i have found something better than missing, kerbed plastic trims, whithout having to pay. Even so, i will have to pay for the tyres to be changed onto them, as the four of the five that have tyres are all apparently bald!

Alls good though, and i just found the power wire that i had misplaced for my CD stacker. A jod for the weekend me thinks. Ill have to use the casette from the V70 to test it though as we only seem to have one casette between the two CD stackers!

Richard
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:55   #25
RAW
VOC Member

well, the alloys are back, and the CD changer and radio are both functioning well, with the casette from the V70 in use at the moment. All thats left to do is to secture the Changer unit under the boot floor.

As for my new alloys, ill post some photos so that people can help me to Identify them, and hopefully someone will tell me i can get a set of centre caps. I hope to have the tyres removed, repaint them, and then they'll look a bit better by the time that they go on. I want to minimise the number of tyres that have to be bought for them, so ill wait till the rears that are on the car anyway go, and then they will go on.

And this is what in need some of;

What tyre size would people think was right on these wheels? three of them have 195/60/R15 while the other one has a brand new Continental 195/55/R15 on it. i suspect that the 60/R15 is better, as the ones on the steelies on the car are all 185/60/R15, but hope that it doesnt matter, as i dont like the idea of replacing the best tyre on the car.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 13:02   #26
gpl1968
VOC Member

Your wheels are called 'Omega' I think (part no. 1343663) and were originally fitted to the 940.
The centre caps (part no. 1358923) were also used on 3 other wheel styles of the same age.
Be aware that the centre caps that you have are missing the circular wire spring (part no. 1325483) that sits in the groove on the inside rim of the tabs on the back. The spring holds the tabs against the wheel and stops the centre cap falling off.
As for tyre size, your 740 would have originally been fitted with 186/65/15 tyres so 195/60/15 would be the closest match for circumference, to allow your odometer to read accurately. On my last 940 I had 'Draco' alloys that were the same size as yours and the tyres were 195/60/15.
I found a simple tyre size calculator HERE that can help you decide.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpl1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 18:51   #27
RAW
VOC Member

thanks GPL, the calculator has shown me the difference, but do you think that it would be a bad idea to use the one thats brand new? its a different size to the others, but i thought that we could get one to match that on the remaining rim, and use them as a pair, at least untill they wear out, before going to the correct size. does this sound bad, or would it be safe so long as they stay together on the same axel.

I've just uploaded these photos of installing the CD Stacker and will take a few of it in place when i get the time.

These first few dont really show much. just where i routed the cable, which i have since realised would probably have been easier on the other side of the car where there is less wiring. Apologies for the state of the car, mom had been using it for work (she runs a gardening business) all week, and it has since been cleaned.

The CD unit that came from my moms old 960 a few years back.

the conveniently placed ign live and earth that Volvo kindly supplied when they made the car. I had to splice into the Ign Live, as the socket was used when i fitted the 12 S socket. I agree, i REALLY NEED to tidy up the towing socket wiring in that side of the boot!

Checking it worked.

The new CR-906 in the dash.

Richard

Last edited by RAW; Jul 3rd, 2010 at 19:06.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 21:22   #28
gpl1968
VOC Member

As long as you have matching tyres on the same axle, you will be fine.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 10:41   #29
RAW
VOC Member

Thanks GPL, i thought that would be the case.

New "Project Thread" started, Linky.

New list of parts that i'm still looking for:

Seats
Headliner
Dash Trim
Ash Tray
Rear of Centre console
Odometer drive cog
Dash Lighting Rheostat
N/S/R Door, in the right colour
Centre Caps for Omega Alloys
Switch/Fitting Kit for Volvo driving lights (i think it has a blue light in it, and goes by the fog light switches)
New Front Fogs
New Interior Light
Under Bonnet Light

Thanks all for your help and kind comments soo far.

Richard
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 19:20   #30
xcom-seller

Default Volvo Breakers yard

On the A1 near Wyboston where I managed to get most the bits to rebuild most of my volvos
Google maps link is
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...00239&t=h&z=19
xcom-seller is offline   Reply With Quote