Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECM6805 Cured?

Views : 20154

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2010, 00:23   #31
v70-xc90man

Quote:
Originally Posted by v70-xc90man View Post
hi mines a 54 xc90 d5 manual 132k, i can take mine to within an inch of its life and upto 120mph thrashing every gear and not getting the dash message and limp,until i tow my caravan up a hill then it happens,just changed the top turbo pipe tonight as it was kinder soft-hope it sorts it as little bits like governor and this pipe alone is best part of £200- getting an annoying and costly fault, ic looks clean with no leaks or oil visible????????
Just to say got my turbo replaced with a brand new volvo one and fitted via a Volvo indy and now car is fine even towing which it was a nightmare before,done a couple of thousand with the new turbo now and no ecm6805 code or turbo/air noises-glad to have finally put this fault to bed even though i change intercooler,turbo pipe and govener until a new turbo fixed it for good,so just to say even though it drove ok when not towing unless going up a very steep hill,it wasn't until you towed with it to put the car under load that the turbo fault really revealed itself as no smoke etc was ever present just air type noises sounding as though they were escaping
v70-xc90man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 20:45   #32
MisterWooley

Hi All, I have. Xc90 D5, 2004, 160k. I also have lots of the issues mentioned in this thread, namely the dreaded 6805 Boost pressure control. Faulty flow. Occasional limp mode. Ever since I had the car, 18 months, it has always been hesitant to move forward especially when the weather is hot. There is a power delay until it picks up. Quite disconcerting when trying to get across a junction quickly.

This thread has been quite inspiring. I have always suspected a vacuum problem and the ideas here seem to support that idea.

I have not had time yet to investigate this code as I have been working through other issues. Front control arms, track rod ends and ball joints. Stuck rear caliper lead to full brake overhaul. Something broke on rear suspension, bolt I think, kicked me into a kerb at 50mph. Destroyed two tyres and damaged two wheels. Trailing arm bushes large & small changed.

Except for 6805 now running very nicely, 37mpg including town driving.

Need to get on with the vacuum testing.

Thanks to all contributors.
MisterWooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 18:13   #33
Floodys

Sorry to bring a old thread back to life but a few questions to any technicals gurus!
1. Changed engine mounts/pads whatever you call them as both no good, anyone know if they should both hold the same vacuum? I.e with the hand vac pump rear can "pump" up higher than the front, say rear @ 2.5 and front @ 1?
2. Had the "engine service required" come on from cold, went off when warm, code with OBD reader was the P0244 re wastegate solenoid, cleared this, gave the wastegate solenoid valve (on engine) vacuum controlled a good clean as per a video on youtue, thought all was good.
3. Gave it a blast and the "engine service" came back on dash.... Now at this point I have managed to (with the help of a member on here) get the specific Volvo part for me code reader (which reads more than standard OBD) now got the 6805 code... Boost pressure, now I thought 2 things... Either that code has been stored all the time and only just cleared it now as I can with the Volvo reader or I have another vacuum leak, but checked the system and all seems good.. Apart from the first bit I mentioned with the different values at the engine pads. I know the pads "turn off" after 1000rpm so that may not be the problem!
Obv a drive around, check etc will sort most of this but just thought I'd ask!
Many thanks
Floodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 22:23   #34
davebb
Premier Member

hi block of the pipe for the mounts, if it still comes up then look at the VNT TURBO and actuator,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote