Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

u bolts and wheel hubs (re: ebay madness)

Views : 1230

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2018, 07:57   #1
canis
Non Fragile

Default u bolts and wheel hubs (re: ebay madness)

Some of you might know the history. Breif synopsis, searching for cheap trailer, got one off ebay (this one) for £18, and I'm quite happy but:-

I just had to mess with it, d'in I!?

This 'U' clamp holds the axle to the leaf springs. I wasn't happy with one of the springs, a band wasn't lining up with the others and the perfectionist in me struck! I wanted to realign the spring, and paint it while I'm at it, and get all this grease off, and I've gone and snapped it. When will I ever learn to leave things alone?

The easiest option is to buy some new ones, but where can I buy these?
So far I've tried bending threaded rod into the 'U' shape, but that didn't work, just snapped. It might do better if hot, and that's something I'll experiment with today. Another option is to use television aerial fixings.

The other problem is the wheel hubs. The seem to be oozing grease at the axle side. I presume this is indicative of a worn bearing?

I'm hoping you guys in the trailer forum will be able to fill in some gaps in my knowledge. Please can someone advise me. Thankyou.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 08:53   #2
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
U bolts:- loads on eBay, motor factors will probably sell them, trailer places probably, breakers yard.
eBay is probably easier 4 for £10.

Don't use aerial ones, they will not be strong enough, should really be high tensile steel

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 10:28   #3
ksmi
Master Member

Cool "U" bolts

Morning Canis, well ref. The trailer rebuild. Glad you found one with leaf springs. you can "tune" these,adding and removing leaves to stop them sagging,as the Duchess said to the Vicar. or the wheels spending more time off the road than on it.
Now what I would advise, (used to work for a truck/coach,bus dealer,so i know a bit about leaf springs.) have a look for a firm that repairs/makes leaf springs the will also make 'u'bolts.if you can't find one without too much hassle,nip into one of your local truck dealers workshop,or wk.shop reception, and ask them where they get their springs done. don't forget to take your "u" bolt for a pattern,they may even have some laying around, Just a tip ,ask one of the older blokes if you have the choice.
Do you have a center bolt?holding the leaves together? if so worth replacing while you have got them apart.
The suspected dodgy seal on the hub bearing, take the old seal or the hub to you local bearing factor,they can measure it up and fix you up.
Just one thing,don't paint the rubbing surfaces of the spring leaves.
Good luck with the rebuild,Regards,Keith.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 15:43   #4
canis
Non Fragile

Thanks for all the advice, it all make sense but to no avail. I can't seem to get hold of the U bolts I need for love nor money.

They are available in america. And cheap too. But they won't post to england. The blasted EU strikes again, saving me from the perils of being forced to use imperial measurements, protecting my consumer interests by insisting everything be metric. And so here I am, unable to get the bits I need. Thanks Germany.

Never in my life did I imagine it would come to this. It's just not fair.
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 16:02   #5
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, it all make sense but to no avail. I can't seem to get hold of the U bolts I need for love nor money.
What is so special about them? What size are they?
Are they a special size or material?

Seems strange they are so rare
There must be an alternative/equivalent in the UK

Iain
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 16:44   #6
luggsey
The truth is out there...

You may find an exhaust clamp has the right size Canis.

s-l400.jpg

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2018, 19:51   #7
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
This company do over 200 different ones
http://www.owensprings.co.uk/accessories/ubolts/

Worth a call

And these

https://www.u-bolts-r-us.co.uk/

Iain

Last edited by IainG; Jan 27th, 2018 at 19:53.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 00:47   #8
canis
Non Fragile

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys. Update on trailer progress: My wife spotted some bolts in B&Q! She must have eyes like a hawk, I was sure I searched all over. So you'll all be pleased to hear the undercarriage is now sorted, bar a final lick of paint on the bolts.

It's very tatty, I'll admit. I've taken off it's cleats and other "furniture" because I want to give them a thorough brushing and repaint. The plywood has got to go, it's weak as cardboard!

I was thinking maybe dismantleing some pallets and forming planks from them. I intend to paint it forest green and black to match the Volvo.

Do you think I shoudl adjust the height of it's tow-hook so it sits level, or just leave it as it is?

EDIT: One more point, it's impossible to reverse! Behind the car it's completely hidden. I think I need to put some posts in it's corners so I can see where it's going!

Last edited by canis; Jan 29th, 2018 at 00:50.
Old Jan 29th, 2018, 00:56   #9
JRL
Master Member

Marine ply to replace the rotten plywood.

And I know it isn't strictly necessary but a light bar might be a good idea. I have one on my 4x3 trailer even though my tail lights can be clearly seen. Plus a safety chain looped round the tow ball and trailer hitch.

As for reversing, I had the same problem so I built a ladder rack for the front of my trailer out of some scrap angle iron. I can carry a ladder and reverse!

Last edited by JRL; Jan 29th, 2018 at 00:58.
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRL For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 20:24   #10
green van man
Premier Member

Why use ply, very heavy.
When I built a camping trailer I used galvanised sheet steel pop riveted onto a welded frame.

I waterproofed the rivets by putting a blob of mastic over the hole before fitting the rivet and used blind rivets. Just cleaned the excess off before painting.

At that time I had a contact that got me the steel for scrap value as they were packing sheets on bundles of thicker 8x4 sheets.

Last 8x4 sheet of 2mm thick steel I baught cost me £22 and it was gilotined to 4x2 for that price. Having it galvanised as part of a load would of cost me about £8 from the fabricator I buy off.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote