Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are D2s particularly problematic?

Views : 2311

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2018, 14:47   #1
anton differing

Default Are D2s particularly problematic?

Or is that it's simply the motor most commonly purchased and therefore the one whose problems are most commonly reported?

I'm merely intrigued by the concentration of threads relating to D2s and their problems.
anton differing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 00:22   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Between 2012 - 2015, the D2 is a 1.6 Ford/Peugeot engine which is more likely to have problems.

After 2015 the D2 = 2.0 Volvo 'VEA' Diesel.

Always buy the Volvo engine, not the Peugeot/Ford engine.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 10:00   #3
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton differing View Post
Or is that it's simply the motor most commonly purchased and therefore the one whose problems are most commonly reported?

I'm merely intrigued by the concentration of threads relating to D2s and their problems.
The Peugeot d2, I don’t by that it’s the most used engine so it’s bound to have more problems as there is more of them rubbish. It’s a crap engine doesn’t matter how many they make it’s still crap. The list of troubles on this forum is endless right from the s40 c30 v50 and they were still putting it in the v40 and it was no better.

Yes there are less Volvo engines but they don’t even give half the grief that the the pug engine did.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 16:58   #4
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
The Peugeot d2, I don’t by that it’s the most used engine so it’s bound to have more problems as there is more of them rubbish. It’s a crap engine doesn’t matter how many they make it’s still crap. The list of troubles on this forum is endless right from the s40 c30 v50 and they were still putting it in the v40 and it was no better.

Yes there are less Volvo engines but they don’t even give half the grief that the the pug engine did.
It is also correct, however, that we hear more about the problems because the D2 is the most common V40. Yes it seems to be a problematic engine but the Volvo VEA D2 also has some EGR issues.
Volvo V40 T4 Polestar Cross Country Lux Nav Auto | Volvo 19" alecto alloys | full leather | Volvo styling kit | Power seats | Xenium pack | Harman Kardon premium sound system | active bending headlights | Winter pack | Ice white
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 08:17   #5
haynesbookoflies

My own opinion after owning one is they are very sensitive. Parts used to service need to be the exact spec and done on time. Not saying its all because people are using the wrong oil but I suspect that doesn't help. PSA had a genuine crack at making an engine that conformed. unlike VW Audi group that have set about killing 10000 a year in Germany alone god knows how many here with their crap!

If serviced on time with the correct oil and the other small things that need sorting are done on time and you use good quality fuel your chances are better.

I had the same engine in a french car and it was ok...

You can't forget the fact Ford use it, BMW use it, Volvo use it, Citroen Use it. When people say there are more of these out there the numbers will be substantially more than. I'd bet more the cheaper cars have more issues as they are less well maintained.

That said I'd always go for a 5 pot now!!!!!

Last edited by haynesbookoflies; Feb 16th, 2018 at 08:22.
haynesbookoflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 01:46   #6
HR Volvo

Default D2 - is absolutely the — same as any diesel

D2 is fine - when launched in 8 valve form it was reliable and most problems sorted. The main one being the trade had worked them out ie only use top grade oil Replace filters and clean sump if turbo goes and maintain in line with service.

The engine is a re ark able bit of technology with high power output from a small displacement. Remember PSA group are innovative and clever with engines when they are In the mood — the D2 is the same as most diesels - has a few issues but Is basically sound and in tests emits what it says it does unlike some other more prestigious diesel manufacturers
HR Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 10:32   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR Volvo View Post
D2 is fine - when launched in 8 valve form it was reliable and most problems sorted. The main one being the trade had worked them out ie only use top grade oil Replace filters and clean sump if turbo goes and maintain in line with service.

The engine is a re ark able bit of technology with high power output from a small displacement. Remember PSA group are innovative and clever with engines when they are In the mood — the D2 is the same as most diesels - has a few issues but Is basically sound and in tests emits what it says it does unlike some other more prestigious diesel manufacturers
Indeed the 1600 D2 is fine , most of the problems are due to poor or neglected servicing , and garages bodging things , and simple things like particle filter pressure sensor pipes rotting and people changing other related parts just in case it fixes the problem without doing proper diagnosis . Don't be frightened by a D2 a lot of what you hear is hearsay .
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 23:35   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The D2 in the V40 is fine.

You do hear of some problems but keep in mind the following:

The PSA D2 is fitted to the economy models so people buying them are less likely to spend money maintaining their cars to manufacturers spec. It doesn't matter that it's a PSA derived engine, the economy engine is always going to be the most neglected.

The PSA D2 is reliable, but not as reliable as it's Volvo made counterparts which are exceptionally reliable.... everything is relative.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 02:34   #9
monkeh
Pain in the backside

I'm sorry, totally unrelated but I consider the d2, to be a kubota 2 cylinder diesel found in a mini dumper!
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 09:09   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
I'm sorry, totally unrelated but I consider the d2, to be a kubota 2 cylinder diesel found in a mini dumper!
I sort of see where you are coming from.... but they are reliable too !
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote