Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vibration under load

Views : 378

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2018, 00:18   #1
boggymarsh
XC70 2008 D5 SE

Default Vibration under load

I have just had the front offside drive shaft replaced due to a previous split C.V. gaiter and subsequent wear due to to loss of grease. The problem with vibration under load and at around 50-70mph was quite invasive and I thought that a complete new shaft would sort the issue. Needless to say, at firts it seemed to have solved the problem with the new one fitted but a drive up the motorway this morning brought the problem back. I had not noticed anything before now as I mainly drive on poorly maintained country lanes and back roads at no more than 40mph and so was disappointed that the vibration issue had not actually been resolved.
I managed to get into a tyre shop and had the front wheels rebalanced to sort out a minor imbalance. This appeared to make things slightly better with no significant vibration under acceleration but as soon as I got onto a dual carriageway the problem was very noticeable again with vibration both under load and anywhere between 40-70mph.

I am not convince that a brand new drive shaft would be out of balance and so am now wondering what step to take next. Last year I replaced the whole front suspension set up - spring, shocks, drop links, wishbones etc. I am almost certain that the vibration emanates from the front offside but am now at a loss.

The car has to last me until this time next January as a minimum but other than this niggle it is a car I could happily keep for a good number of year yet. It’s just coming up to 170k.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
boggymarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 06:49   #2
mannyo1221

Possibly a deformed tyre which passes balancing, but running slightly out of true.

What I would do, have the rear wheels rebalanced as well, then swap the wheels front to back on the same side and see if the situation changes.

I had a buckled wheel on my other car, had loads of vibration. It was possible to balance the wheel, but because the tyre was running out of true on the road it introduced its own unrelated to balance vibration.
The Following User Says Thank You to mannyo1221 For This Useful Post: