Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.0d starting problems, bad mileage, lack of power

Views : 848

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2018, 11:20   #1
hansC30

Default 2.0d starting problems, bad mileage, lack of power

Hi all,

I keep on having problems with my c30 2.0d. Mileage lately is horrible. On the highway doing 75mph, cruise control on, on flat roads I get an average of 35mpg, combined with city its even worse, 30mpg. I almost never go over 2000rpm, the dpf is not clogged, turbo pressure is OK, 4 brand new injectors.
I cleaned the throttle body and noticed that the valve which is shut by default does need a little pressure before moving (and clicks before it moves) is this normal or should it be smooth all the way from being shut to open?
on top of that I am also missing power. Friend has te same car, 40 to 60mph in +-3 seconds, mine in 5 seconds, same road, same conditions.
On top of that, my car doesn't start smooth when it is a bit colder. Starting from 0degrees and down the car sometimes needs 2 tries to start and when it starts it vibrates a lot for about 10 seconds and then it gets better, measured glow plugs, all 1.9ohm. DMF is on its way out though.
Anyone any ideas? Sorry for the long post, the car is driving me nuts lately..

Br,
Hans
hansC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 15:38   #2
D5Pete

Have you had the codes read on the car?
One thing you could try is swapping your friend's throttle body onto your car and see if that improves things.
D5Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D5Pete For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 15:47   #3
hansC30

No error codes on vida, forgot to mention that. 😊Next time I see him I will try that but that won't be soon. For now I'm stuck..
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 22:17   #4
hansC30

Update! Ran a couple of checks with vida and noticed I get around 230mg/stroke from the maf sensor when running idle while vida says it should be around 300. Also something very strange, when I turn the ignition on, the glow plugs come on, afters starting they go of, and then after a couple of seconds they come on again and stay on.. Did this happen to anyone before?
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 18:30   #5
hansC30

Hi,
I just did a test using vida. In neutral, I floor the accelerator pedal for one second and watch the desired boost pressure, intake manifold pressure, turbo control valve and air mass/stroke. I notice that the actual pressure only gets to 1500hpa while the desired is 2300hpa. Air mass per stroke on idle is also on the low side. And I also notice weird behavior on the turbo control valve when idling.. Does anyone have any ideas? Please help me out here, I'm getting more and more depressed everyday :-( rpm goes up to 4000rpm after 1 second btw. Thanks a lot for any help!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-02-22 18.28.39.jpg (165.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-02-22 18.29.28.jpg (137.0 KB, 8 views)
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 20:57   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Check the anti-shudder valve which is the throttle vane type thing which bolts to the inlet manifold - has it jammed shut?

The valve is vacuum operated and closes when you turn the ignition off so the engine stops dead and does not peter out over a few seconds as the fuel system pressure falls.

I've cut mine out and sealed the resulting hole with a nut & bolt & PTFE tape (also blanked the vacuum feed). The shudder on switch off is barely noticeable.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 21:48   #7
hansC30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Check the anti-shudder valve which is the throttle vane type thing which bolts to the inlet manifold - has it jammed shut?

The valve is vacuum operated and closes when you turn the ignition off so the engine stops dead and does not peter out over a few seconds as the fuel system pressure falls.

I've cut mine out and sealed the resulting hole with a nut & bolt & PTFE tape (also blanked the vacuum feed). The shudder on switch off is barely noticeable.
Do you mean the one of two valves in the throttle body which is closed by default? When connect a hose to it and suck it with my mouth it opens so if that's the one you mean it is not jammed, have to suck pretty hard though :-p thanks for your reply BTW!