Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 s60 2.4D vibrating and weird start up

Views : 656

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2017, 09:50   #1
urban60

Default 2004 s60 2.4D vibrating and weird start up

Hello,

I own a 2004 s60 2.4D with 390.000 km. Recently, large servis was made with replacement of the following:
  • Oil
  • Oil filter
  • Fuel filter
  • Cabin filter
  • Serpentine belt + water pump + tensioner
  • Drive belt
  • Some kind of mount for gearbox or clutch (I've attached picture of it, because I'm not sure what is it)

Before servis, I've noticed some vibration (cabin, steering wheel and pedals) at 1500 RPM (1450 - 1550) but after servis, vibrations are more noticeable. These are most intensive in larger gears, but most noticeable in 3rd and 4th gear. There is also large resonating sound at 3000 RPM and above.

Picture of the mount:

Other thing is this weird start up which is present quite longer. I've found the video (attached bellow) of this guy who had the same symptoms. The thing is, that I've checked the glow plugs and only 2 of them were working, so I've changed all of them but the problem is still there. I was also skeptical about the glow plugs, because motor had start up issues whole summer (at 30°C/90°F).

Link to video on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_2SgIldqM8

Does anyone have some sort of idea what could be wrong?

Last edited by urban60; Sep 13th, 2017 at 09:51. Reason: Bad video link
urban60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 13:10   #2
urban60

Default not OEM part

Posted mount is not OEM part. Could that be the reason for vibrations?
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 14:39   #3
Brendan W
Premier Member

Does the car start easily when cold. Difficult or long cranking for cold starting is usually a sign of one or more leaky injectors. A leak back test would show if there is a bad one. Max leak about 40 cc per minute at idle.
I would have a look at your auxiliary belt when the motor is running. Have an assistant raise the revs to 1500 and see if the belt tensioner is moving a lot. This could be a sign of failed alternator pulley clutch.
Take off the alternator belt and see if the noise remains.
These cars do not need the glow plugs to start if the ambient temperature is at 7 C or above.
many have found them defective and replaced them to no effect.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 06:58   #4
urban60

Thank you for your advice. I will definitely check the injectors, because I don't know when they were last checked/replaced.

Considering vibrations... I have to update you, that there are no vibrations in idle and when revving the engine in neutral, but I've noticed there are vibrations when putting it to neutral (at 130 km/h) after driving few kilometers on the motorway. But those vibrations stop reaching smaller speeds. As I said, vibrations at 1500 RPM are the most noticable in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. Could this also be problem of injectors?

Tags
motor, s60, vibration