Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Possible leak from windscreen

Views : 3128

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2018, 12:43   #11
Delta66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
The screen is bonded for sure, that is why it has the black pattern around the edges. This keeps the UV light away from the bonding material. You will also see that eg around bonded retrovision mirrors.
If the dampness smells and tastes sweet, it is very likely coolant, so the heater valve or matrix is the culprit.
A previous fix.

Quote:
If it smells like screen wash fluid it could very well be the wash wipe feed line as already suggested.
Not that, it would be coloured and smell of berries.

Quote:
If it is just water, then it could be the a blocked AC drain
If you mean air conditioning, there is none.

Quote:
or rain water coming in somewhere. I think a leaking screen is very unlikely, but still possible. The leak will be in the bonding material, the rubber in the pictures is irrelevant. Also check the rubber transit just below the bonnet lock, that is where I found the cause of my damp carpet.
It is water and it happened as the car was laid up for a couple of weeks and often covered in snow and ice. I will check that rubber part, thanks.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 17:19   #12
lnparry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta66 View Post
Where am I sealing? Where does the water run to after sealing?
Just referring to jpliddy comment about sealing the plastic panel "next to your right foot" should you need to.
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 21:35   #13
Delta66

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnparry View Post
Just referring to jpliddy comment about sealing the plastic panel "next to your right foot" should you need to.
But I have removed that in the past to change a door hinge. It has electrical stuff behind it. I don't know what, but I had to remove it to get to the door hinge bolts. So, I was looking for more detail about it is that I seal.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 22:12   #14
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi this panel i think is the vent if the car is left hand drive its on the door pillar about 4 inches long water defiantly got past my vent at the bottom edge you will need to move the wiring loom out of the way i think its a long time since i did this repair but no water in footwell since
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 16:01   #15
Delta66

The rubber parts suggested I check in the engine compartment are fine. I still cannot find this vent in the footwell, I know the photo is not great, but where is it?

Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 16:10   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The footwell vent is on the passenger side usually.

The driver gets a "crotch freezer" vent under the steering column instead.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 17:03   #17
Delta66

OK, no vent. I will leave everything off and carpet lifted as much as I can get it to dry out and then soak with a hose and see if I can see a leak.
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 18:31   #18
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Part no.1

It is part no. 1 in attached drawing, but I never checked if there is such a cover at the driver side as well. I believe on earlier models the cover could be opened or was spring loaded for additional ventilation. This part no.1 only covers the gap in the metal sheet. Water can enter the void behind this cover via the grid in front of the wind screen and is supposed the exit via the drain holes in the door sills. Might be good to check the drain holes as well, as accumulated muck from leaves etc could be blocking them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 940 parts.pdf (263.3 KB, 12 views)
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 18:38   #19
Delta66

No leaves or anything, I checked that today as well. I have put down paper towel as a tell tail as it is due to rain! Lets see if that helps.
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 22:25   #20
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

hi pretty sure i had to remove the panel thats against your knees there are only 3 screws and it slides out ! sort of ! the vent is near the red bonnet lever but on the door pillar so you may have to delve further its got to be there .
regards jim
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post: