Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D5 2009 Electrical Problems.....

Views : 671

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2018, 23:55   #1
Ozwolvo

Default XC60 D5 2009 Electrical Problems.....

Hi all,
my 2009 XC60 D5 has developed some very perplexing electrical problems and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions regarding my fault finding options.....
The first glitch was the dreaded fuel tank sender/pump showing me that I still had a third of a tank left......but the car would stop as it was not getting access to the other half of the fuel tank. I have another pump/sender assembly on the way so I'm hopeful that will fix that.
The next glitch is the drivers seat controls started being intermittent.....so I removed the PSM and checked for any cold solder joints....nothing obvious but I did re-solder the main switch lugs anyway. No difference....then removed all of the connectors under the seat and checked for corrosion....none found!
Then the scary thing happened.....next day turned on the ignition and the car starts, indicators, wipers,horn all work fine but none of the instrumentation work eg. no drivers display on dash, entertainment centre dead, door locks and windows dead, no lights on speedo cluster, remote is still connecting to the car but only operates the interior lights.
Have checked all related fuses, removed and replaced the CEM plugs, VIDA scanned and its returned "lost communication with PSM and CEM...
Where I live Volvo expertise is scarce as are parts so before I go down the track of finding replacement modules I would rather try and determine if there's something I've missed in my fault finding!
Could the BCM be related to these issues??
Many thanks
Ozwolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 13:10   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

With these types of faults you need to start with VIDA
Anything else is pretty much a big time waster
So if you want to have any success at DIY repairs, get yourself a copy of VIDA
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 13:16   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Sorry, you already have VIDA

Next step is to ensure the software levels of all devices in the vehicle are up to date, as some software updates fix communications problems and improve system stability
Much easier and cheaper to do this before you fire the parts cannon at the car.

So take note of all the versions you have (VIDA tells you) and ask your local dealer to check all modules and advise which ones need updating, and then get him to update them for you.
Afterwards, check the new version numbers to make sure the dealer is honest

Then try and see how it runs...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 20:18   #4
volvo for ever
Premier Member

first of all get the cem upgraded ,if you get your car serviced by dealler they will do a service sw 2,0 the cem will be upgraded then
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo for ever For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 23:06   #5
Ozwolvo

Unhappy Still looking.....

Thank you for the ideas....my concern is that communication to some of the modules is showing to be lost so updating firmware would not be possible...
Yesterday I completely removed the CEM and re-checked all connectors...all look to be ok. Now wondering if there are some main wiring connectors inside the car that need to be checked for corrosion etc!! Very tedious process to locate them in the wiring manual tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Sorry, you already have VIDA

Next step is to ensure the software levels of all devices in the vehicle are up to date, as some software updates fix communications problems and improve system stability
Much easier and cheaper to do this before you fire the parts cannon at the car.

So take note of all the versions you have (VIDA tells you) and ask your local dealer to check all modules and advise which ones need updating, and then get him to update them for you.
Afterwards, check the new version numbers to make sure the dealer is honest

Then try and see how it runs...
Ozwolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 10:11   #6
Chief inspector
Master Member

As modern cars age, and the resistance gently rises in the connectors, often all manner of issues can be resolved by a brand new battery, if its not 100%, drop a new one in and see what happens.

Everything gets polled before the car starts, anything not responding may result in it being declared faulty before the voltage rises.

Neighbours Alfa 147 had a quote of £1500.00 ABS pump from the dealer. A new battery removed all issues and 6 months later no warning lamps.