Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xenon headlights not moving on start up

Views : 2731

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2018, 10:31   #11
100K+
Premier Member

Daft question, straws clutching at - but do you have any manual adjustment left on the headlights beam height. It may be the lights can't move because they are at the top or bottom of their plastic limiters.???

If so you need to set them at a midpoint and redo a sum cal. When I redid mine, I adjusted mine down too low on the plastic adjuster so that when the sum cal was completed I had some "manual" adjustment so that I could raise the beam pattern as in general the "R" models don't shine their lights far enough down the road.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 11:02   #12
mike19691969

I had set both adjusters to the mid point before SUM cal and both do move up and down during the SUM Cal.

I am leaning toward the CEM failure as I have had a few spurious warnings, "brake failure" etc, though they ONLY happen when the fuel level is below 1/2.
mike19691969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 12:55   #13
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike19691969 View Post
I am leaning toward the CEM failure as I have had a few spurious warnings, "brake failure" etc, though they ONLY happen when the fuel level is below 1/2.
..that would tell me that something was not right. Error messages don't appear just cos you have less than 1/2 tank of fuel.

It may be possible (highly likely) that you can get the CEM checked out. I as well as others have had good service from Lucas at Volvodiagnostic in London. Might be worth getting in contact. He advertises in the Traders section of this site - "spokoluzik"
If it checks out OK you then will not have spent money replacing bits that are fault free. If it is faulty he might be able to repair/replace.

Good Luck

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 13:12   #14
jnmonaghan

Default bi xenon headlights

I have the same situation as Michael (OP)
I have not called it a problem as everything seen to be working as it should.
My car 2003 V70 D5 does not have 4c suspension, and as I understand it, the SUM calibration does not apply. I have disconnected the headlight range adjustment sensor on the rear left control arm, and I can see the lights move, and also hear the motors.
Thanks for your PM Bob (100K )
So---- what does the lights not moving on start up, like they used to, tell me or the MOT tester?

Jude
jnmonaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2018, 18:42   #15
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmonaghan View Post
So---- what does the lights not moving on start up, like they used to, tell me or the MOT tester?

Jude
I must admit, I'm not entirely sure, all I do know is that if I rotate the light switch from DRL through to dipped beam and back the auto/manual leveling is re-established - I have no idea what is actually going on as I cannot identify a code or problem when using VIDA - I rather suspect that this may be indicative of a CEM problem but it could also be linked to the ambient light level sensing - it seems to be more obvious during daylight hours rather than the after dusk or dark behaviour.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Mar 7th, 2018 at 18:48.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post: