Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery problem?

Views : 49070

Replies : 126

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2013, 13:59   #121
badegg

Default battery problems

I had a new battery fitted by the RAC and since then it has caused me so many problems. Firstly it has knocked off my CD player although my radio still plays and when i switch on the ignition it sounds like my CD player is going to start all to no avail. I am also having problems with my battery draining over night or within a couple of hours, i have had the battery tested and i have been advised it is working correctly. I have checked my electrics and they all appear to be working normally. Any advice would be warmly welcomed.
badegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 23:44   #122
bobby24j

Default XC60 battery drains

2012 XC60 battery drained after sitting for 4 days...3 months after I bought the car new. Had to be towed to Volvo dealer...replaced battery. The battery drain has happened 3 more times, but each time the car cranked. Took it to Volvo immediately...could not find anything wrong...wonder why. By the time I got to Volvo the battery had charged.

Obviously, something is running when the car is off and sitting, causing a ground fault. I am wondering if the XM radio is still searching for a signal, even though we did not subscribe to XM. The Volvo dealership shows no interest in working to find the cause.
bobby24j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 01:04   #123
GMcL
0's and 1's

Have you tested your battery?
Just because it's new to you does not mean it's fault free.

All week I have had low battery warnings. My voltage is now at 12v cold. Lead acid battery should be 12.6v (2.1v x 6 cells).
Looks like I have a slow dying cell. Today all warnings have gone away just after I've ordered the replacement.

Earlier in this thread there was discussion of a software issue. I rang my dealer before ordering a replacement to make sure all software is up to date on my car.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2015, 18:07   #124
IanXC60
XC60 SE Lux 2010

My problem was eventually resolved by updating the car's Satnav software, and drying out the DVD-like player in the boot that has the satnav hardware in it because "it looked a bit damp".
IanXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 22:48   #125
SCARABSEPT2001

Default Slow battery drain in 2001 s60 2.0t

May I submit a battery query not so far covered in this thread?

For some while the battery, just over three years old and recently confirmed by a main dealer as sound, has been ebbing away inexplicably - typically to immobility after a few days of non-use. The car has been Volvo serviced for nearly all its life, although I took ownership only in 2009.

The local main dealer diagnosed and replaced a faulty REM (at the normal but monumental price), and confirmed all relevant systems working.

However, the problem returned within two or three weeks. Updated diagnosis: a faulty CEM. Cost of replacement even more astounding.

Before going ahead with a CEM transplant, what questions would seasoned campaigners put to the main dealer to ensure no possibility of a much simpler and cheaper reason for this chronic battery failure? Is a faulty REM typically associated with a faulty CEM?

Very grateful for advice. Many thanks.
SCARABSEPT2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2015, 11:07   #126
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

If the previous 'fix' didn't fix it then I would be stating that they should refund the costs of that repair and reinstate the previous REM. Why should you be paying for their guess work at diagnosing the fault?

A competent mechanic should be able to diagnose the root cause and undertake a single repair.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 11:59   #127
CanAmSteve

Default Battery life

I just had my first service on my 2014 XC60 D4 (5Cyl) R-Design. This is the basic model without all the toys (no sat nav). I am away frequently so my cars have to stand on the drive unused. I've learned to use trickle chargers ( I use CTEKs) to maintain the batteries as almost all modern cars have so many parasitic drains. This XC60 is no different, but at least has a nice low-battery charge warning message.

Diesel engines take a lot of oomph to start and manufacturers don't waste a pence on fitting anything larger (i.e. more expensive and heavier) than necessary. So it's no surprise that after 10 days unused in cold weather the battery has lost its ability to start the car. Keep in mind that even one "deep discharge" can harm a battery permanently.

My recommendation is to use a charger when practical to keep the battery healthy. If you do need to leave the vehicle on its own for long periods and cannot arrange a trickle charger, I would first buy a new battery - the largest and best (AGM) that will fit in the space provided. I would then buy a plastic carry box for the old battery, charge it up (ventilated, observing safety precautions) and then keep it in the boot until I returned to the car, along with a pair of jumper leads. That way, you can boost yourself if necessary. The "old" battery should hold a decent charge as it's not hooked up to anything. The old battery is probably the sealed type, even if not AGM, but keep in mind it is both filled with acid and heavy, so make sure it is carried safely.

You might have some luck with solar chargers but even a large one is only about 0.5A output in full sun. Like we see the sun much in winter...
CanAmSteve is offline   Reply With Quote