Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how much brake fluid??

Views : 526

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2018, 00:22   #1
deeman940
Master Member

Default how much brake fluid??

Goes anyone happen to know off the top of their heads how much brake fluid I would need to totally replace mine? any help appreciated, going to order some DOT 5.1 to go with my MUCH needed brake upgrade...
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 00:26   #2
willvg95

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman940 View Post
Goes anyone happen to know off the top of their heads how much brake fluid I would need to totally replace mine? any help appreciated, going to order some DOT 5.1 to go with my MUCH needed brake upgrade...
5l tub would do you several times over. But i must ask. Are you doing track days constantly? If no. Dont bother with synthetic
willvg95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 00:35   #3
cheshired5
Premier Member

Owner's manual will confirm but less than a litre of fluid is in the entire hydraulic system. 700ml perhaps.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 11:45   #4
deeman940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willvg95 View Post
5l tub would do you several times over. But i must ask. Are you doing track days constantly? If no. Dont bother with synthetic
No track days as such....a few drift days definitely. My 'spirited' driving on the road has so far made a mess of my standard set up, I just want to upgrade everything to avoid failure in future. Now the car handles so well I am much harder on the brakes....
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 17:29   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It's already been pointed out it's just under a litre in the entire system but you'll need a bit more than that to flush it through properly.

There is a school of thought that when replacing the fluid, the system should be flushed with methylated spirits before introducing the new fluid to ensure the moisture is removed.
As DoT 5.1 is hydrophobic it's entirely possible that it will push any moisture out as it goes through the system, the fact meths is a different colour might be useful to show when the new fluid is through though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 19:40   #6
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's already been pointed out it's just under a litre in the entire system but you'll need a bit more than that to flush it through properly.

There is a school of thought that when replacing the fluid, the system should be flushed with methylated spirits before introducing the new fluid to ensure the moisture is removed.
As DoT 5.1 is hydrophobic it's entirely possible that it will push any moisture out as it goes through the system, the fact meths is a different colour might be useful to show when the new fluid is through though.

I think that 'meths' is a bit over the top, but it goes down the throat a treat

That aside; I quite agree that you will need more than the system capacity ... say have to hand 2 ltrs +, or less.

I have always found my ancient 40+ year old Gunsons 'EazyBleed' still works a treat and I use a lesser DOT number, but still with original Volvo spec for the car. However it does now need a bit of ptfe tape on the master cylinder thread!

Nothing more to say on this subject

BobT

Last edited by bob12; Feb 20th, 2018 at 19:43.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 19:51   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post

I think that 'meths' is a bit over the top, but it goes down the throat a treat

That aside; I quite agree that you will need more than the system capacity ... say have to hand 2 +, or less.

I have always found my ancient 40+ year old Gunsons 'EazyBleed' still works a treat and I use a lesser DOT number, but still with original Volvo spec for the car. However it does now need a bit of ptfe tape on the master cylinder tread!

Nothing more to say on this subject

BobT
I only mentioned the meths as it's a bit of a lost art these days, at one time it was standard practice or so i was led to believe some time ago.

These days i prefer to add a couple of litres of meths to the remaining 4 gallons of petrol (approx 10% concentration) in the tank to eliminate condensation.

As for the Easy-Bleed, definitely a on that one! Bled my entire system in about 10 minutes, excluding the time to jack up, remove each wheel, refit wheel after and return to deck.

Need to find/make and fit an adaptor to use it on my 800s though, they're both overdue for brake fluid changes and are renowned as being pigs to bleed for the simple reason, they are!

Odd how the almost identical systems on two different cars can be so different to bleed!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: