Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Door Lock Relay?

Views : 3202

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2013, 10:47   #1
Jim.F66
V70 D5 SE Estate (205BHP)

Default Door Lock Relay?

Hi All, I have found that my fuel filler cap and rear loading door do not lock when I lock the car up. Given the power required to operate the solenoid I have to assume that Volvo used a relay to operate the locks when the remote is activated.

Couple of questions.
  1. Would I be right in this line of thinking?
  2. Would this be located in the loading area fuse box in the rear?
  3. Is a faulty relay the most likely cause or should I look elsewhere?

Any comments advice very greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

1997 Discovery 300TDi..seriously modified
2008 Discovery D3 TDV6...about to be modified..
Jim.F66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 11:15   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

Jim, if you can read wiring diagrams it will help you troubleshoot this issue, firstly download the diagram for your V70 by clicking Here it is around 35MB in size so save it to your PC for future use.

Page 122 of the pdf is for the central locking system on that page you are looking for the following two switched outputs:

Located on the REM (Rear Electronics Module) (4/58) you need to find relay 2/87 (RMI19) which feeds 3/87 which is the tailgate lock motor.

Located on the REM )Rear Electronics Module) (4/58) you need to find relay 2/59 (RMI21) which feeds 6/73 which is the fuel filler flap lock motor.

Next go to page 23 of the pdf which will show you where the relays are located on the REM.

How long after locking the car have you left it before checking the fuel filler flap, from memory this only locks after a time delay has elapsed after locking the doors, try it ten minutes after locking to see if it is still unlocked.

The tail gate locking could be down to a broken wire where the cables go through the hinge line from the tailgate back in to the car (a common fault) so it might not be down to the relays - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 11:19   #3
Thanatos
VOC Member

I would check the fuel flap after 10 mins its a programmable option in vida to lock the fuel flap on lock or 10 mins
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 12:11   #4
Jim.F66
V70 D5 SE Estate (205BHP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Jim, if you can read wiring diagrams it will help you troubleshoot this issue, firstly download the diagram for your V70 by clicking Here it is around 35MB in size so save it to your PC for future use.

Page 122 of the pdf is for the central locking system on that page you are looking for the following two switched outputs:

Located on the REM (Rear Electronics Module) (4/58) you need to find relay 2/87 (RMI19) which feeds 3/87 which is the tailgate lock motor.

Located on the REM )Rear Electronics Module) (4/58) you need to find relay 2/59 (RMI21) which feeds 6/73 which is the fuel filler flap lock motor.

Next go to page 23 of the pdf which will show you where the relays are located on the REM.

How long after locking the car have you left it before checking the fuel filler flap, from memory this only locks after a time delay has elapsed after locking the doors, try it ten minutes after locking to see if it is still unlocked.

The tail gate locking could be down to a broken wire where the cables go through the hinge line from the tailgate back in to the car (a common fault) so it might not be down to the relays - Mike
Excellent and most helpful reply Mike, many thanks.

The fuel filler does not lock at all at any time, checked it more than an hour after locking the car.

Thanks for the heads up on the cable, I have checked all the relays in the rear already and unless they have damaged contacts the coils are all OK, measured the resistance and all are between 65.7Ω and 88.9Ω, so well within the parameters one would expect for these units.

Reading the drawings is no problem, I'm an Electrical Engineer so now I have some directions on speeding up the repair thanks to your valued input I should have this sorted pretty soon. I needed some direction before dismantling all the rear interior and then finding out the fault was in the front...done that with the Disco, not fun!

1997 Discovery 300TDi..seriously modified
2008 Discovery D3 TDV6...about to be modified..
Jim.F66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 13:30   #5
mikealder
VOC Member

Jim, Before you go too far with this fault check fuse 11D/6 with a continuity meter, and that the fuse socket has power to it as this fuse feeds both items that are not working and is responsible for the deadlock motor on two of the doors (which you wouldn't notice if these weren't working) - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 20:18   #6
Slobbo

Hi guys I have the offside rear lock playing up and want to check the relays but for the life of me I cannot work out how to get to the right hand side of the fuse box. I figured you take the fuse box out but I can’t work out how. I’ve found the latch at the top and tried removing the bolt but no joy. What’s the secret?

Rob
Anyone near me needing codes read or reset pm me. I have an Autel unit which can do adaptions etc. No software updates however sorry.
Slobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 20:53   #7
Simon Jones
Premier Member

The one in the boot or right of the dash?
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 00:05   #8
Slobbo

The one in the boot. The relay I want is the one you can’t get to easily

Rob
Anyone near me needing codes read or reset pm me. I have an Autel unit which can do adaptions etc. No software updates however sorry.
Slobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 00:13   #9
Das boot
Premier Member

The boot trim comes out really easily . Ie the one that partially Covers the fuse box. On mine it’s just one screw .

The latch on the fuse box makes it look like it comes out , it took me a while to figure out that it doesn’t. The panel is much easier to access with the trim removed.

Last edited by Das boot; Feb 23rd, 2018 at 00:15.
Das boot is offline   Reply With Quote