Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanting to upgrade from Single CD Player to 6CD Player

Views : 1656

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 18:17   #1
TillM

Default Wanting to upgrade from Single CD Player to 6CD Player

Firstly hello all this is my first post so please be gentle.

After years of owning various Volvo's for the last 7 years I have had a Jaguar estate. It lasted but it was not a Volvo. Now finally I have the car that I have lusted after for a few years and I now own a 2009 (09) XC70 AWD D5 SE LUX. I could not be happier, well I could as I like my CD's and don't like to keep changing the CD after its played. I drive around the around the M25 every day and this summer I will be driving to France.
So I would like to change the single CD player for a 6 CD player. There are a few going on "fleabay" and they are reasonably priced, however I have few questions.

1) Do I need to be aware of any specific part number to get?
2) Will I need to get it re-programmed and get it configured using VIDA
3) Does it have to have Bluetooth or is that function carried out by separate unit. ( already have the Bluetooth phone in and working).

There is a company very near me that advertises that they can install and program using VIDA if required. However I do not want to pay for something unnecessarily and I also like to know the full ins and outs so to speak before I leap in with both feet.

Any Assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance
TillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 21:43   #2
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile another idea

Why not go for a mp3 player that mimics the external multichanger, would mean ripping some of those cd s to an sd card or usb stick, but once done its a lot more flexible, im not sure about the audio in yours, maybe it already supports such things ? but if it has an external cd changer socket on the rear of the audio unit, it might be an idea..
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 22:08   #3
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Google search brings up this (in Dutch) http://accessories.volvocars.com/nl-...CC-480706/2009

IAM met cd-wisselaar
Ond. nr. Beschrijving
36050932 Ch 93314-, Excl. CA, US
30732000 Ch -93313, Excl. CA, US
+ Applicatie1
Ond. nr.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 09:12   #4
1monkey600

[QUOTE=Simon Jones;2373104]Google search brings up this (in Dutch) http://accessories.volvocars.com/nl-...CC-480706/2009

Scroll to the bottom of that page and there is a button to change it to English.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 13:35   #5
TillM

Default Thanks for the replies

My Audio turns on with the "High Performance" logo so those upgrades on the Dutch site would work (thanks Simon), but £600 is a bit steep and whilst my wife indulges me, that may be pushing it a bit too far.
Yes I do have an 3.5mm Aux jack and a USB input.
The problem with the Aux input from the 3.5mm jack is that there is no control from the steering wheel, which means fiddling with my MP3 player to choose songs or playlists, not really safe or ideal.
I have already tested the USB input and whilst you can use the steering wheel controls, you can only go backwards and forwards on the tracks and not select folders as it ignores these. So ripping for example an Album by one artist and then ripping another album by another means that you have to sequentially scroll through all of the tracks on the USB. I know that I could use multiple USB's but that would then mean fiddling behind me whilst driving to change USB's. Hence i thought about the CD Changer with 6 CD's as can then easily use the controls and not risk crashing or the ire of an officer of the law.

The 6CD players on "fleabay" I have been looking at are "supposedly compatible" but without knowing part numbers i can not be 100% sure.
Still I guess if I pick one up for about £100 at most its not going to be overly onerous if its not compatible, just annoying. I have downloaded the fitting instructions and i am confident I can remove and replace the units, its the VIDA bit that I don't have or have knowledge of using, So I will probably call Cartronics ( https://www.cartronics.co.uk/) and see what they will charge. Does anyone have any knowledge of how good or bad they are?

Thanks once again.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 16:52   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillM View Post
Firstly hello all this is my first post so please be gentle.

After years of owning various Volvo's for the last 7 years I have had a Jaguar estate. It lasted but it was not a Volvo. Now finally I have the car that I have lusted after for a few years and I now own a 2009 (09) XC70 AWD D5 SE LUX. I could not be happier, well I could as I like my CD's and don't like to keep changing the CD after its played. I drive around the around the M25 every day and this summer I will be driving to France.
So I would like to change the single CD player for a 6 CD player. There are a few going on "fleabay" and they are reasonably priced, however I have few questions.

1) Do I need to be aware of any specific part number to get?
2) Will I need to get it re-programmed and get it configured using VIDA
3) Does it have to have Bluetooth or is that function carried out by separate unit. ( already have the Bluetooth phone in and working).

There is a company very near me that advertises that they can install and program using VIDA if required. However I do not want to pay for something unnecessarily and I also like to know the full ins and outs so to speak before I leap in with both feet.

Any Assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance
only the "premium" or "High Performance" unit can be upgraded to the 6CD changer

Second hand units cannot be re programmed to your car .

Volvo do a range of add ons for your car including a USB /I-Pod unit

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...ons/audio/2009
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 22:46   #7
TillM

I already have a USB socket and whilst its usable its not perfect in my mind for what I would like to do and I do not own an ipod or any other Apple music player device.
I am not trying to be rude or confrontational, but I do not understand the phrase "Second hand units cannot be re programmed to your car ."
Surely the new unit supplied form the Volvo dealer / supplier will have a blank EPROM or similar where the VIDA program would write all of the existing information to, in order for it work once it is installed. In which case a second hand unit that had been "erased" and so appear blank could then be installed and programmed to the car. Or is there something else that I am not aware of?
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 23:00   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I already have a USB socket and whilst its usable its not perfect in my mind for what I would like to do and I do not own an ipod or any other Apple music player device.
I am not trying to be rude or confrontational, but I do not understand the phrase "Second hand units cannot be re programmed to your car ."
Surely the new unit supplied form the Volvo dealer / supplier will have a blank EPROM or similar where the VIDA program would write all of the existing information to, in order for it work once it is installed. In which case a second hand unit that had been "erased" and so appear blank could then be installed and programmed to the car. Or is there something else that I am not aware of?
yes new Volvo units are blank , but Volvo software cannot write to a radio already programmed to another car , it's the theft protection system . If anyone is clever enough to blank the second hand unit , who knows if it will work . If it does anything to upset the cars network system the dealer is on his own trying to fix the car Volvo will not help .. each piece of software costs about £35 it could be a hefty bill . Every vida session is monitored by Volvo it knows who did it and what they did and at what time . no dealer or independent would risk doing these things . they know the score they have been on the courses .
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 16:21   #9
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
I have already tested the USB input and whilst you can use the steering wheel controls, you can only go backwards and forwards on the tracks and not select folders as it ignores these. So ripping for example an Album by one artist and then ripping another album by another means that you have to sequentially scroll through all of the tracks on the USB. I know that I could use multiple USB's but that would then mean fiddling behind me whilst driving to change USB's. Hence i thought about the CD Changer with 6 CD's as can then easily use the controls and not risk crashing or the ire of an officer of the law.
For USB if you press "Enter" on the 4way pad on the centre console you'll get a list of folders, which can then be browsed up and down with the up/down arrows, forward/back buttons on steering wheel or most quickly with the tuning knob.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 18:29   #10
spyboy

I believe if you Bluetooth sync your phone to your car you can play any music stored on the phone and select playlists and albums with the steering wheel controls
spyboy is offline   Reply With Quote