Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xenon Bulb Removal Help Please.

Views : 4324

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2011, 13:15   #1
Banzai

Default Xenon Bulb Removal Help Please.

Hi,

I have a nearside Xenon bulb out which I want to switch with the off-side to make sure it is the bulb which is out. The car is a 2007 Exec XC90.

2 questions:

1) How do I disconnect the wiring connector to the headlight assembly?

It has a red grooved top and is attached to the bodywork.

2) How do I remove the bulb assembly?, It looks like from some info. I saw, there is a "spring clip" which is holding in place the silver metallic square block which I assume is part of the bulb holder / housing.

Thanks in advance, I can provide photos later if required.
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 00:55   #2
hancym
Master Member

Spray a bit of WD40 or similar around the connector with the "red clip" . This clip is a locking mech. for the connector and alway gets jammed with very fine dirt particles. You'll notice a small screwdriver slot just under the top front edge of the clip. Get a small flat screw driver and CAREFULLY lift the clip, once it's up far enough use your finders if you can to avoid breaking anything. Lift the red clip all the way, it will release and split the two halves of the connector. Connection is the reverse; pushing the clip down will close the two halves of the connector
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hancym For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 19:24   #3
Banzai

For anyone's future reference, I was able to swap the bulbs across and confirm the nearside is blown.

I couldn't remove the wiring from the "Red clip" but instead did it in-situ.

The spring clip has 3 lugs (I think) and needs about a 1/4 turn to undo it. The back of the bulb unit them simple pulls out.

Remember which way round the bulb is situated in the holder because the fitting has a number of fingers which are bent to accept the bulb unit.

You don't want to be messing around working out which way round it goes when you have a new £35 bulb in your hand.

Anyone got any recommendations where to get a replacement bulb?
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 21:32   #4
Kwozzymodo

I think your local Volvo dealer may be able to provide a HID for circa £100, but I went to a local parts supplier and bought one for £50 - just check that the bulb is specced to the appropriate 'temperature' - the higher the figure, the more blue the light will look - I think the appropriate spec is around 4500 - 5500 for the XC90. You can check this in the Handbook.
Kwozzymodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:54   #5
hancym
Master Member

Mid-day daylight has a colour temperature of 5500 Kelvin, anything above that is going to be a blueish light. I certainly wouldn't go above 6800 Kelvin otherwise PC Plod might pull you over
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 14:03   #6
Rockhopper
XC90 Exec

D2R HID bulbs don't have to be £50 each if you look around. You can get a pair for less than half that. I've used these in the past and they've lasted years. Have some in my current XC90 in fact.
Rockhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockhopper For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 21:44   #7
Banzai

My bulbs are D1S 35W, got some on fleabay for less than £35 each delivered.
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 12:53   #8
Banzai

Update:

Changed the bulbs over to the new ones no problem and now have a spare in case I another blows in the future.

Bizarrely, now I can actually see my active headlights working, I never noticed them before and therefore assumed it was not functioning or so subtle to the point of being useless.

Now I have a visible beam from the nearside lamp particularly which projects from about 3 feet to 10 feet in from of the car. The beam "twitches" around as you steer, and is very noticeable when pulling round parked cars etc. at lowish speeds.

Is this normal?
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 17:46   #9
DG651

My nearside dipped beam has just gone and I was about to pay £90 for one D2R bulb. I will try the ones one E Bay mentioned above at £15 a pair. I cannot believe it is that simple. I have extracted the bulb OK but it looks a sod to get in without catching the external wired bit. I cannot remember how the inverter pack (the bit that holds the bulb) was facing; is it important. Also the E Bay advert mentions colour temp - I can see no reference to this, just simply D2R. Am I doing something wrong or has this forum once again saved me money.
DG651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 18:21   #10
gmonag
Premier Member

Did you remove the whole headlight unit first? It makes life very easy if you do.
You should buy a colour temp of 4300K - that is the OEM temp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8wekpOagsU

Greg

Last edited by gmonag; Mar 7th, 2012 at 18:37. Reason: Added link
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote