Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC 60 Review

Views : 14919

Replies : 130

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2011, 17:51   #11
Superbenj

How long have you had it for? If only a few weeks, then I think the driving/ parking aspects will come with experience, all cars are different and take a while to get used to, I thought it was huge at first but nip about in it now as confidently as I did with our last car. Similarly the trip computer etc, will come to you, I suspect many of your comments would apply to any new car you'd bought and will arise again with the next one, whatever it may be!

Its actually the easiest I've ever tried to park but I've never had parking sensors before or indeed the reverse camera, which proves to be more and more of a must have feature for me now and less of the gimmick I feared it may be. Reverse/ Parallel Parking perfectly first time is a cinch now.

Re the Keyless locking, have you checked the options in the my car Sensus area, I've got it and don't think I've ever had to separately close the windows, although to be honest, I've not sure I've ever lowered them other than to collect tickets, pay tolls etc before putting them straight back up!

The central bottle holds are a nightmare with an Auto, so must be infuriating with a manual, deffo bad design that, or at best a massive compromise

For me the Rain Sensor is also pretty rubbish, I always have it at its most sensitive and don't think its sensitive enough, does anyone know is there anyway to adjust this at service or similar?

How tall are you by the way, due to the belt and mini story, it sounds like you may be pretty short, my wife is 5'7ish and has no problem with the belt on an My11.5 which has no adjusters as such.
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 19:00   #12
darbs
XC60 Owner

each to their own. i recently posted this in response to the question "what do you like about your xc60?":

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...86&postcount=6

like yours its not a review, but rather a list. there are a few things you've listed as not liking which i've listed as like. this may be because i've owned the car a lot longer. because of masses of tech in modern cars, i suspect they take a lot more getting used than they used to.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 23:36   #13
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs View Post
each to their own. i recently posted this in response to the question "what do you like about your xc60?":

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...86&postcount=6

like yours its not a review, but rather a list. there are a few things you've listed as not liking which i've listed as like. this may be because i've owned the car a lot longer. because of masses of tech in modern cars, i suspect they take a lot more getting used than they used to.
Hi Darb

Thanks for your input.

Yes agree one mans meat is another mans poison so to speak!

Its not so much a matter of not liking the technology or simply getting used to it - its a matter of not liking the execution of the technology!
It has been sampled on previous cars.

For example - the keyless starting option is a fine thing on a vehicle and take an alternative make of vehicle with it where entry is simply pulling the door handle opening the door getting in and pressing the clutch or brake whilst pressing a button that starts the engine then when one stops the vehicle when parking ,press said button again and vehicle engine stops and handbrake is automatically applied , then exit the vehicle and with a push of the button on the door the vehicle locks and the windows go up.

Compare that to the keyless starting option on XC and one finds that the vehicle handbrake does not automatically apply when the engine is switched off and then one finds that to globally close all open windows one has to use the actual keyfob as oppose to pressing a button on the door - it sort of defeats the object of calling it "keyless" in the first place - oh and its a few hundred quid option as well!!!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 08:55   #14
Matteus XC60

Well Volvorocks, it would appear that your Volvo doesn't rock you at all! The clear (and repeated) message from this thread is that we all have our own opinions, so here's mine:
Whilst the XC60 is by no means perfect, your discontent seems to emanate from a combination of you:
- being extremely fussy
- not reading or understanding the handbook properly
- choosing options which you didn't fully understand
- being of freakish physical proportions
- potentially having some faults on the car (eg sensus)
- not being diligent enough on the test drive
- not having enough to do.

If I owned a car which had a list of flaws so much larger than the pros I would sell it immediately and buy something else. I advise that you do the same. That way, when you then find the inevitable list of flaws on the new motor, you can post them on that forum instead of this one.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 09:15   #15
Superbenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 View Post
If I owned a car which had a list of flaws so much larger than the pros I would sell it immediately and buy something else. I advise that you do the same. That way, when you then find the inevitable list of flaws on the new motor, you can post them on that forum instead of this one.
Or at least drive it for more than a week to get used to the size etc!
The Following User Says Thank You to Superbenj For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 09:27   #16
Superbenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Hi Darb

Thanks for your input.

Yes agree one mans meat is another mans poison so to speak!

Its not so much a matter of not liking the technology or simply getting used to it - its a matter of not liking the execution of the technology!
It has been sampled on previous cars.

For example - the keyless starting option is a fine thing on a vehicle and take an alternative make of vehicle with it where entry is simply pulling the door handle opening the door getting in and pressing the clutch or brake whilst pressing a button that starts the engine then when one stops the vehicle when parking ,press said button again and vehicle engine stops and handbrake is automatically applied , then exit the vehicle and with a push of the button on the door the vehicle locks and the windows go up.

Compare that to the keyless starting option on XC and one finds that the vehicle handbrake does not automatically apply when the engine is switched off and then one finds that to globally close all open windows one has to use the actual keyfob as oppose to pressing a button on the door - it sort of defeats the object of calling it "keyless" in the first place - oh and its a few hundred quid option as well!!!!

Regards
I get your point, you should perhaps write into Volvo to make your point, as it sounds like they could all be implemented with software changes. Im very surprised re the windows, are you sure this can not be changed in the Sensus options, or indeed my holding the outside button down for an extra second?

Interestingly, I've not really felt any of the above issues, although I suspect I would have if I ever put my windows down, or had had an auto applying hand break before. I do sometimes forget to put the handbrake on, its less of an issue in an Automatic though!
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 13:35   #17
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 View Post
Well Volvorocks, it would appear that your Volvo doesn't rock you at all! The clear (and repeated) message from this thread is that we all have our own opinions, so here's mine:
Whilst the XC60 is by no means perfect, your discontent seems to emanate from a combination of you:
- being extremely fussy
- not reading or understanding the handbook properly
- choosing options which you didn't fully understand
- being of freakish physical proportions
- potentially having some faults on the car (eg sensus)
- not being diligent enough on the test drive
- not having enough to do.

MatteusXC60

Regarding your opinion.

This particular thread was about the positives or negatives of a vehicle so I find it particularly insulting upsetting and offensive for such a response as yours which directly relates your opinion of what you suggest by incorrect assumption that I as a person am or am not or that I as a person will do.

The latter sentence in your final paragraph especially appears to be a statement based purely on opinion again arrived at by incorrect assumption and appears to be a reflection of the perspective through which the author views reality and can thus be dismissed as subjective and fundamentally flawed.

It appears that objective writings about the negatives or positives of a vehicle have given rise to what can only be considered to be your take on my personality and or proportions or otherwise, which is an insult to the recipient and therefore one respectfully asks that you kindly refrain from such behaviours now and in future.

Regards
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 17:39   #18
Matteus XC60

Quote:
MatteusXC60

Regarding your opinion.

This particular thread was about the positives or negatives of a vehicle so I find it particularly insulting upsetting and offensive for such a response as yours which directly relates your opinion of what you suggest by incorrect assumption that I as a person am or am not or that I as a person will do.

The latter sentence in your final paragraph especially appears to be a statement based purely on opinion again arrived at by incorrect assumption and appears to be a reflection of the perspective through which the author views reality and can thus be dismissed as subjective and fundamentally flawed.

It appears that objective writings about the negatives or positives of a vehicle have given rise to what can only be considered to be your take on my personality and or proportions or otherwise, which is an insult to the recipient and therefore one respectfully asks that you kindly refrain from such behaviours now and in future.

Regards
Sorry you didn't like my post VR (even with the smiley face - perhaps you missed this?), clearly it had a lot more cons than pros in your opinion. Wait a minute, I think I'm seeing a pattern here......
Let us put our differences on the XC60 aside then. However, can I (respectfully) ask whether English is your first language? You do seem to write the longest sentences known to man, and I'm afraid that the first of these in your post above makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I was also particularly interested in your line: '...and can thus be dismissed as subjective and fundamentally flawed.' Isn't all opinion subjective? Isn't that what this site is all about?

I hope you didnt find this post too insulting, upsetting or offensive. Just my opinion really. Life's a bit too short to worry about little stuff like this you know.

Regards....

(2 just to make sure you see them..)
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 19:24   #19
Philpottig
Better than an X3 or Q5

Smile

Quote:
MatteusXC60

Regarding your opinion.

Regards
Rough translation - we can't have an opinion other than yours, well that's ok but might somewhat limit responses to any future posts methinks.
Philpottig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 19:36   #20
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpottig View Post
Rough translation - we can't have an opinion other than yours, well that's ok but might somewhat limit responses to any future posts methinks.
Of course people are entitled to their own opinion in a forum - just do not make it an opinion about the person simply because the person is discussing discontent about an inanimate object. Feel free to agree or disagree about opinions set out about a specific vehicle , just do not insult the writer!