Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hello from a new member and a quick question

Views : 470

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 14:51   #1
diggerydoo

Default Hello from a new member and a quick question

Hi All,

I'm not an XC90 owner just yet but will fix that soon. Seeing a few this weekend and have been doing my research and hope to be an active contributor.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but just looking for a general opinion on pricing and expected specifications. I've narrowed my requirements down to diesel and would also quite like the rear DVD entertainment pack (have two kids who would appreciate it).

This one seems to tick the boxes and was going to plan a visit, but one thing that stood out was that the alloys don't seem like the typical ones I see on most R-Design models of that vintage (e.g. the more curved black highlighted ones, if you know what I mean). Were they optional on that spec?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...@AutoTrader_UK
diggerydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 15:01   #2
diggerydoo

Answering my own question - I emailed the guy (d'oh) and apparently they're 20” Cratus wheels, which was an option that was selected when speccing the vehicle out. Sorry for the noise!
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 15:52   #3
Oldbrook
VOC Member

Hi and welcome mate, looks a very nice car. Dave
Oldbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldbrook For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 15:54   #4
Friendly

That looks like a good spec car.

I bought my XC90 in November and decided to buy from a Volvo dealer. I found the prices similar to non Volvo dealers. I didn't get the exact spec I was after but decided it was worth the compromise to get the Selekt warranty.

Anyway, after a couple of weeks I noticed a few rough gear changes that all occurred after driving for about 1 hour, so hard to pick up on a test drive. I took it back and they diagnosed an internal gearbox fault. New gearbox was fitted under warranty. The car had only done just over 50k miles.

If you do not buy from a Volvo make sure that you get a good warranty. I too did lots of research before buying one and the main thing I noticed is that they are expensive cars to repair. As the one you are looking at has a towbar it might be worth getting the gearbox oil changed. This seems to be worthwhile, even if not suggested by Volvo.
Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Friendly For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 15:55   #5
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Hello, yes they look like 20" Cratus alloys, sure they were optional (and almost certainly not inexpensive) upgrade to the more usual 19" alloys.
Drive before you buy, as I'm not a big fan of the 19" or 20" wheels as personally I find them a bit harsh ride wise, I also think the XC90 is not something you want to chuck about like a Golf GTi (its a long distance cruiser IMO) .... but each to their own, enjoy, but check it out carefully, these are not inexpensive cars to own and run, and missed problems can be very expensive.

Hope it helps

Last edited by TruckbusUK; Feb 22nd, 2018 at 16:25. Reason: spelling and poor grammar
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 16:19   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I have a MY2009 R-Design, almost identical spec to what you are looking at
I have the same Cratus 20" wheels, they were standard on those R-Design models

Great car!
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 16:29   #7
diggerydoo

I'll certainly have a good drive and look out for any excessive road noise etc. I'm usually not a fan of bigger wheels myself, but will wait to see it in the flesh and then may change my mind .

Been looking at a few recently, and this is probably going to be the one. But not going to let my heart rule my head. Been without a car the last month or so when I decided to sell for something bigger (was running a Lexus LS430). Recently got a couple of working cocker pups so that was the main impetus - need space for them in the back and the kids in between .

Did consider a Discovery (tested a few 4's and they do drive very nice) but worried a bit about reliability. Always liked the looks of the XC90, and my wife agrees (she's saying why do I need all that off-road stuff, which is a very fair question!). Will only be getting used at weekends and holidays, and an XC90 of this vintage seems like the perfect compromise of size, reliability, and price.
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 17:02   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerydoo View Post
Hi All,

I'm not an XC90 owner just yet but will fix that soon. Seeing a few this weekend and have been doing my research and hope to be an active contributor.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but just looking for a general opinion on pricing and expected specifications. I've narrowed my requirements down to diesel and would also quite like the rear DVD entertainment pack (have two kids who would appreciate it).

This one seems to tick the boxes and was going to plan a visit, but one thing that stood out was that the alloys don't seem like the typical ones I see on most R-Design models of that vintage (e.g. the more curved black highlighted ones, if you know what I mean). Were they optional on that spec?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...@AutoTrader_UK
Best advice I can give you if you are spending that amount of money is to buy from a Volvo main dealer, volvo sellect vehicle and they usually come with a 2 year warranty and a good service record.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 18:15   #9
diggerydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Best advice I can give you if you are spending that amount of money is to buy from a Volvo main dealer, volvo sellect vehicle and they usually come with a 2 year warranty and a good service record.
Yes, good point. Have checked Selekt and not many of the older XC90's near me (well, currently there's 1 about 60 miles away). I presume the 2 year warranty is equal to that of a new vehicle? Not sure how often these show up on Selekt but I've set up a search on their site to keep me updated.

I'm sort of in no rush (I work from home so this is purely for weekends/holidays etc) but at the same time currently without a car (during office hours while the wife's away at work) so feel like I'm missing a limb .

[edit]

Just did a quick search on Selekt and the closest in spec in to the one I'm going to check out at the weekend is this one. About £4K more, but very low mileage. That is starting to stretch my budget a bit though...

Last edited by diggerydoo; Feb 22nd, 2018 at 18:24.
Old Feb 22nd, 2018, 19:01   #10
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Just think though........

"IF" its a troublesome car... You could easy spend half of the uplift price on the dearer one, on repairs in the first year.

I bought cheaper... and spent some repair money on a 2008 Manual. I have a very well sorted car now, fingers crossed !

If it was me, having the benefit of ownership experience, I'd stick with a Volvo Dealer for such a high priced purchase.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote