Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dynaudio in 2011

Views : 4545

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2010, 18:52   #1
fte_mike

Default Dynaudio in 2011

Hello all:

I have a 2011 XC60 T6 on order here in Canada; 17 June is my last date to make changes to my spec. I just got off the phone with my dealer who has advised that Dynaudio is not longer avail for my vehicle as Volvo no longer deals with Dynaudio as a supplier. Indeed, if I am to believe the 2011 spec sheet I received, Premium Sound is not offered in the XC60 here in Canada at all. Extremely disappointing as Dynaudio was/is a really important feature for me. My questions: Has anyone else heard of this yet? Does anyone know what components the Premium Sound system available in your countries consists of? Thanks in advance for any info or insight you might have.

Mike
fte_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 19:46   #2
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte_mike View Post
Hello all:

I have a 2011 XC60 T6 on order here in Canada; 17 June is my last date to make changes to my spec. I just got off the phone with my dealer who has advised that Dynaudio is not longer avail for my vehicle as Volvo no longer deals with Dynaudio as a supplier. Indeed, if I am to believe the 2011 spec sheet I received, Premium Sound is not offered in the XC60 here in Canada at all. Extremely disappointing as Dynaudio was/is a really important feature for me. My questions: Has anyone else heard of this yet? Does anyone know what components the Premium Sound system available in your countries consists of? Thanks in advance for any info or insight you might have.
From what I've read for the UK spec the Dynaudio system is to be replaced with Premium Sound which uses Harmon Karmon speakers (spelling?).
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 23:59   #3
Aidan Bell

I recently discovered, after ordering and paying for High Performance audio, that my dealer had made an error and High Performance is already included in the model I'm ordering anyway. As I therefore won't be charged for High Performance I wanted to upgrade to Premium but my order was already locked down so this was not possible. But that got me thinking. I am a working performer and deal with music both socially and professionally, and after giving myself the "Do you really need Dolby surround sound and 12 loudspeakers IN A CAR?!" talk I realise that High Performance audio, with its eight speakers and 4 x 40w amplifier, is more than sufficient.
But to answer fte mike's original question; here in the UK Premium Sound consists of the following. There is no mention of either Dynaudio or Harmon Kardon.

RDS radio
MP3 and WMA compatible CD player
USB and Aux input and USB port in front centre armrest
5 x 130 W digital class D amplifier
Dolby Pro Logic II Surround Sound with centre loudspeaker and digital sound processor
12 high-end Premium Sound loudspeakers
Steering wheel remote audio controls
Aidan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aidan Bell For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 08:21   #4
Teejay1
Master Member

This was from the official Volvo documentation:

"Dynaudio Premium Sound has been replaced with Premium Sound. The speakers
are now supplied by Harman, although there will be no co-branding. The following
emblem will be used on the speaker grille."

Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teejay1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 10:51   #5
Aidan Bell

The kind of subtle differences noticeable through different makes of quality speakers is surely almost entirely negated by the sound of the engine and general external noises when driving.
Aidan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 01:36   #6
gabrielddc

I have a Land Rover Discovery with Harman Kardon 13 speakers and it has a wonderful sound.
Note that the premium sound of BMW is Harman Kardon to.

I hope the owners of 2011 XC60 like the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
This was from the official Volvo documentation:

"Dynaudio Premium Sound has been replaced with Premium Sound. The speakers
are now supplied by Harman, although there will be no co-branding. The following
emblem will be used on the speaker grille."

gabrielddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 07:06   #7
fte_mike

I hope so too - we pick up our 2011 T6 in Göteborg in 10 days and I'm looking fwd to testing out the Premium sound system!

Mike
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 14:25   #8
VolvoXc60

I heard from Volvo Norway that we have Bowers and Wilkins in our Premium Sound. Sounds great.
VolvoXc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 15:17   #9
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I guess that all this high power audio means that we will hear the 'music' 10 mins before the car arrives
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 15:37   #10
fte_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoXc60 View Post
I heard from Volvo Norway that we have Bowers and Wilkins in our Premium Sound. Sounds great.
Wow, that would be wonderful news. I haven't heard of B&W in Volvos, but the speakers have an excellent reputation. Now, I'm really curious - the last word from my Canadian dealer was Harman...

Thanks!

Mike