Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel filter saga.

Views : 1334

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2019, 17:54   #1
Cameron1590

Default Fuel filter saga.

Not having much luck here.

Removed plastic filter housing with oil ratchet. Broke the seal and undid the rest of it by hand. New filter and o ring on/in.

Trying to do back up. Plastic housing just seems like it wants to cross thread all the time. Have checked both threads visually and seem fine.

Any ideas? Is it possible to remove the entire unit and inspect. Really stuck.

Thanks
Cameron1590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 18:11   #2
Dancake
Premier Member

Assuming it's a D5, the filter housing always feels like it wants to cross thread. Put some diesel around the rubber seal and around the threads, and don't be afraid to tighten it. The job is far easier with the correct tool.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 18:22   #3
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Perennial problem. I cross threaded one and it burst off in the middle of Bristol. The next car had the same issue even though I hadn’t touched the filter. I had to have another filter base fitted as whoever had done it had ripped the threads and cracked it.
Advise you get right under there with good lighting and make sure it seats squarely.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 18:34   #4
Cameron1590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
Assuming it's a D5, the filter housing always feels like it wants to cross thread. Put some diesel around the rubber seal and around the threads, and don't be afraid to tighten it. The job is far easier with the correct tool.
You my friend are a life saver! I just gave it another shot and thought I will ignore the fact it feels like it’s cross threading. Stuck with it and with the aid of a tea towel for grip (it was covered in diesel). It did up a treat. Thankfully the wife has already divorced me, otherwise the use of the tea towel would of given her another reason to!

The sad thing is, I have spent two hours thinking it was cross threading when it wasn’t.....idiot! Time for a pint I think.
Cameron1590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 18:44   #5
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron1590 View Post
You my friend are a life saver! I just gave it another shot and thought I will ignore the fact it feels like it’s cross threading. Stuck with it and with the aid of a tea towel for grip (it was covered in diesel). It did up a treat. Thankfully the wife has already divorced me, otherwise the use of the tea towel would of given her another reason to!

The sad thing is, I have spent two hours thinking it was cross threading when it wasn’t.....idiot! Time for a pint I think.
So cross threading then, but do make sure you at least partially fill the housing with oil to minimise start up friction - "which is an advisory" - "cross threading" sounds like you have eyebrow issues

IMHO keep on trying by hand + a quarter of a turn.................on that note I'll leave any humorous asides as a moderator issue!

Might be getting into the area of stones un-terned - let's keep the flats down
!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Jul 19th, 2019 at 18:49.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 18:56   #6
sv70

You aren't the first and won't be the last that has this problem with the filter removal/installation,you would think an ordinary filter wrench would do but they are tight as hell,and you do think you are going to snap something,for next time consider a specific tool from laser -etc for around 15 quid and used with a 1/2'' ratchet so good torque possible,and yes plenty of lube as well.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 21:04   #7
simonwedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
Agree 100% on all counts
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 06:23   #8
Swede Steed

I've only done mine once, same experience. Finally went on, all appeared well, gaps were equal when done up etc. 2.5 years later the bowl fell off whilst driving, engine died instantly. The top housing had cracked. How it waited that long and 25k to go I'm not sure. Will be acquiring the special tool next time.

Swede
Swede Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 21:01   #9
ukvolvo

To resurrect this thread i had a absolute nightmare doing my D5 Filter. Yes we got a v70 at last whooo

It was so frustrated and the car was off the road overnight. I assumed it had been threaded on badly by a previous nugget but the reality was different.

The O rings on the non oe filter kit i had were not really suitable for the housing recess. After numerous attempts tearing my hair out wondering why it would not go together without excessive force i started testing.

Screwing the housing together like a breeze with the o ring removed i realised they are oversize! A o ring should sit tightly in its recess and this is clearly a ring they spec for a few filters that is really not suitable for a d5. It leaves its recess as its squashed and rides up the area above thus making housing's cross and seem rediculosly tight.

I ended up shaving my o ring down with a surgical blade untill i achieved a outside diameter size the filter housing prefered.Far far from ideal.

I even ran the o ring above the car housing end. screwed the bottom housing on, added the o ring into the thread gap,wound the thread's back until i could get the o ring in location and re tightened......Each time you added it, the thread's ran wonky for the re tighten.

This could be accounting for issues people have.

Time served engineer here so im no dope with a hammer and spanner's to validate this haha.

I am going to try a Oe O ring next time and see if it seats properly.

If it feels too tight to screw on, take the o ring off and check the thread condition first.It could be the o ring.

Mick

Last edited by ukvolvo; Sep 23rd, 2020 at 21:04.
ukvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ukvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 22:05   #10
Millie20

Congrats on your v70. I'm only 4 days into ownership myself.

I did my first fuel filter earlier this evening. It was a pain, but I was expecting it after reading a few threads. I thought for sure the housing was going to break when removing the old one.

Used a Mann filter and made sure to cover the oring in diesel before putting it on. Haynes said to give it a 1/2 to 3/4 turn after the housing engages the oring.

For future reader, which filter did you use?
Millie20 is offline   Reply With Quote