Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T-5R owner

Views : 5889

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2016, 23:04   #11
pookie
Premier Member

Beautiful car!!!

Salut!

Pookie
Old Oct 1st, 2016, 23:42   #12
scvolvo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigyt View Post
Ayup,

I take it your steve of stevestuff off ebay?!!

Dana spoke very highly of you when i bought the car.

I just wanted to double check though, what new bits did you fit to the engine before Dana collected it? Im wanting to know whether to fit new timing belt etc?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Craig
Pcv, turbo water return hose, cam belt, waterpump, rear main seal, should give you no trouble for a while.

Had 103k on it and came out of an auto that was big std.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1542415576082157/
https://m.facebook.com/swedishevents/
scvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 09:36   #13
Craigyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scvolvo View Post
Pcv, turbo water return hose, cam belt, waterpump, rear main seal, should give you no trouble for a while.

Had 103k on it and came out of an auto that was big std.
Sound job! With it having a 16t fitted is the car capable of learning that extra boost or is it recomended to get it mapped or anything?

Also the drivers seat will recline but wont come back up! Is this the cable problem where you shorten the coating on it to fit further into the motor?
Craigyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 19:22   #14
scvolvo
Premier Member

Quote:
Sound job! With it having a 16t fitted is the car capable of learning that extra boost or is it recomended to get it mapped or anything?

Also the drivers seat will recline but wont come back up! Is this the cable problem where you shorten the coating on it to fit further into the motor?
There is not a great deal of difference with air flow on the 16t, just leave it alone or get a map for it if you want a bit more poke.

There are common faults with the seats but I've not had to repair one yet.

Old Oct 5th, 2016, 21:38   #15
Craigyt

Sound job, whats the best remap to go for do you think?

Had a nice ride out in the car today. Such a nice car to drive, i managed to fix the reclining issue but the lambda light is illuminated constantly now, any ideas? Knackered o2 sensor? The 16t turbo?

Old Oct 7th, 2016, 23:52   #16
Craigyt

No pics but the car has been giving me more problems!!

On a drive you can hear a rattle intil you get on the brakes, and the handbrake was garbage!

So started on the front, no oil on the sliders, no grease on the pads and the springs wernt pressing against anything. So fixed all that and onto the rears.

Only one side had a retaining kit, just had the old rusty pins so that was causing some rattling issues. Adjusted the handbrake but turns out one of the cables was seized solid! Original shoes and everything was bent or broken! So a day later and all the new bits ordered i now have a car that doesnt sound like a bag of spanners going down the road.

I cant understand why simple jobs are overlooked or done incorrectly. Its an easy thing to do and dont understand how these things can be done wrong! Im just glad it didnt end badly!

But other than that im still loving the car!

Last edited by Craigyt; Oct 7th, 2016 at 23:54.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craigyt For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 21:38   #17
Craigyt

Sorted the lambda light out. Read the codes and all fingers pointed to the lambda sensor so replaced that, looks like it was still running the original one so no wonder it was showing a fault.

While lurking in the engine bay reading the codes i noticed the newly fitted power steering pump, all the bolts were coming loose so had all that to tighten up! The TCV is also dangling about so need to find out where that monts and fix that.

And also the old aux belt tensioner looks like its on its was out as it rattles n squeaks so looks like im going to have to buy a new one!!!

One day it will be as i want it! But atleast its got some more go now!
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 17:59   #18
JackJones

A lovely looking car, congratulations on your purchase. It's fortunate you know your way around it. Rica or HLM 304 maps are excellent with 16t's and have stood the test of time, they might deliver an additional 25BHP or so and all together a different driving experience. I'm unsure if you can still get them new, but second hand ones can be found on the performance forums now and again.
JackJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2016, 16:52   #19
scvolvo
Premier Member

Quote:
Sorted the lambda light out. Read the codes and all fingers pointed to the lambda sensor so replaced that, looks like it was still running the original one so no wonder it was showing a fault.

While lurking in the engine bay reading the codes i noticed the newly fitted power steering pump, all the bolts were coming loose so had all that to tighten up! The TCV is also dangling about so need to find out where that monts and fix that.

And also the old aux belt tensioner looks like its on its was out as it rattles n squeaks so looks like im going to have to buy a new one!!!

One day it will be as i want it! But atleast its got some more go now!
Power steering was all good in mine, but guessing engine fitters could have been swapping parts over.

Old Oct 16th, 2016, 18:47   #20
Craigyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scvolvo View Post
Power steering was all good in mine, but guessing engine fitters could have been swapping parts over.
Yeah, before i picked the car up Dana had the power steering pump changed, as it was noisy on cold start, but not very well!! Same as the brakes!!!