Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to prime fuel lines on 2.0d

Views : 22783

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 20:05   #1
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Default How to prime fuel lines on 2.0d

Volvo sell a tool for a high price that'll also do this but I prefer to do on the cheap:

Heres how to prime your 2.0d with minimum amount of hassle - (5minutes). e.g you've changed the fuel filter yourself and the car now won't start.

Items:

Hand primer
£4.99 from ebay - search for "diesel primer"

Bit of hose:
£few quid from halfords etc

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Ensure input hoses are now connected (if you've changed your fuel filter, FILL it with diesel first!!). You now need to disconnect the green return pipe as cirlced below:

2) Connect the hose you purchased onto the priming tool - onto the black end in this case (it sucks in through here)

3) Connect the hose onto the green return pipe you've just disconnected.

4) You now need to pump (maybe 10 times) until the pump ball stops expanding and remains squashed in your hand (this means it's sucked the fuel through as much as it can, and is only now able to hold the fuel in place using the vaccum it's created).

5) Get somone to crank the car over. Took 10 seconds for mine to start.

6) once it starts. QUICKLY re-connect the green pipe. And thats it. your done! No need for any autostart spray! Go take it for a drive.

The primer ball being unable to expand is the same effect as putting your tongue over a drinking straw and stops the drink going back into your cup.

Total time > 5mins
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fenton_jd For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 13:57   #2
ADBS65

Finally got round to doing mine today, nearly got away with it, but just as I thought it to good to be true, it coughed and died. Followed you example and it worked, so thanks mate. As an aside, my filter was very dirty and there was a lot of crud in the housing, is this typical at 66K given modern fuel quality?
Andy
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 09:20   #3
BenB
V50 Driver

Could this not be left in-line? Like a lot of other cars have as standard?
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 17:25   #4
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenB View Post
Could this not be left in-line? Like a lot of other cars have as standard?
No because the pump I have does not officially connect into the line. A bit of rubber tubing WILL fit over the green plastic tube, but thats about the only bit of the line it will fit and luckily it will prime from there.

If you want to keep a pump 'in line' then you'll need to buy the volvo official tool (or buy the same from peogeot/citroen) for a high price.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 19:40   #5
themanthatcan

Thanks very much for this thread. Had to prime mine today after checking for air leaks and it worked a treat.
themanthatcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 15:47   #6
eethon

I just tried to prime mine but there is no fuel coming through the pump, In fact the ball pump primer was doing nothing at all so I ended up sucking the damn pipe like I was siphoning fuel! I'm really struggling if anyone can help at all? I know its an old thread but I'm desperate for some help. My filter housing is full of fuel but the "OUT" pipe has next to no fuel in it. its impossible to suck any more air though its a vacuum. Do I need to use the bleed screws or open the fuel filler cap (I did actually try this but no difference) or anything silly I'm missing? It just wont have it. The pump seems next to useless.

It seems as though its blocked I just cant suck any fuel through?
eethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 18:37   #7
x DTR x
Premier Member

Have you tried doing it via the pipe with the green connector? That's how i done mine when i was struggling with the main fuel line!

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 19:43   #8
eethon

Quote:
Originally Posted by x DTR x View Post
Have you tried doing it via the pipe with the green connector? That's how i done mine when i was struggling with the main fuel line!
Yes thats the one I've been on trying all along as it does not require the special connector, It will not draw fuel from there, no fuel is leaving the filter, I'm creating a vacuum but somewhere along the line its blocked.

I managed to get it primed with an airline in the fuel tank, and bleeding the filter with the screw on top until fuel came out then close that and wait for the fuel to come out of the filter THEN connect the OUT fuel line. (I did this so I knew where abouts the fuel was getting to) I then DISCONNECTED the clear fuel line at the back right of the engine that has a brass connector until the fuel finally made its way there, I bunged this in and cranked the engine 3-4 times and it fired. (My friend was pressurizing the fuel tank with the compressor the whole time)

I then reconnected the fuel return hose and hey presto it was running and primed.

Unfortunately it was still drawing it air from somewhere (quite a lot when revved) So tomorrow im picking up a new filter housing from citroen (£66 instead of volvo's £120) and ill try again. I also need to get a new plastic retaining clip for the brass fitting on the clear fuel pipe as I snapped it trying to put it back on on a hurry!
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 19:44   #9
mattievrs
Master Member

Just turn the ignition on as far as you can put it in 1st gear and tow it down the road about 100 yards. It'll prime the system and the engine will fire and the car will be fine then. Done it like this on diesels for 10 years now and they've always been primed this way.
mattievrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattievrs For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 19:55   #10
eethon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattievrs View Post
Just turn the ignition on as far as you can put it in 1st gear and tow it down the road about 100 yards. It'll prime the system and the engine will fire and the car will be fine then. Done it like this on diesels for 10 years now and they've always been primed this way.
Whats the difference between doing this and just turning the car over with the key? I cant see how this would work?